Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why dont most drivers pull into the right lane?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 12:28 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Why dont most drivers pull into the right lane?

I imagine this has been discussed before but I don't get it. If you passed the written driving test you had to know the book says the left lane is for passing or faster moving traffic. So why won't people yield to faster cars behind them? I understand if the cars on the right are going much slower and moving right means they will have to slow down (especially if they are already going at a pace somewhere north of the speed limit), but it seems that most of the time even when the drivers in front of me pass the slower cars on our right they don't bother moving to the right. What is it? Laziness? Ignorance? Arrogance?

I tend to sit behind patiently for 30 to 60 sec on average then give em a quick double-flash of my high beams (not aggressively)....but I tend to get a little more aggressive if they just ignore this and usually wind up signaling right, grabbing a different gear and blow by them. Occasionally I throw a porcupine quill at them.....just makes me feel like I incite some ill will when I do this but WTF? Are most of the people here in the USA that frickin' oblivious? My friend, a 997 owner and a former european resident said if people didn't move over on the autobahns they'd wind up getting themselves a Merc-AMG enima with no lube.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:56 AM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ah - don't get me going here........drivers in North America are one big bunch of synchronized drivers.
And if they don't drive all at the same speed next to each other they just stick in the fast lane. I always seem to pass in the slow lane.
Actually locally a particular race seems to be the worse of them all - and you think they check their mirrors every 10 seconds like I have been taught in Europe.........
Old 02-01-2008, 01:12 AM
deep_purple
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree completely. Especially after a trip in Europe the way "we" use the highways seems ridiculous...

I try to get out of the way of faster traffic, hoping to help educate drivers one at a time... Well, one can guess how futile this is...

In the meantime, I found this website:

http://www.californiakeepright.com/
Old 02-01-2008, 01:13 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 943 Likes on 571 Posts

All men are created equal, but some cars are more equal than others. The fast lane is the way to correct that inequality.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:26 AM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW, don't get me started on this one. (Oh well, I'm started) I feel it is way, way, way, waaaay too easy to get a drivers license in this country.

California has to be the worst, I swear people stay left just to **** you off and exercise some sort of "control" for a minute or two. I, too, blow past on the right and shoot a FU look. I also get back into the right lane ASAP when I am way past and up in front as if to say "see, dumb F@#K, this is how you should drive" pass left, then get back over.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:58 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Think about this: in most U.S. cities, even people who hate to drive, have to drive, or they don't get anywhere. This is because we have ineffective public transportation plus a certain amount of stigma attached to what we do have. So we're stuck with a huge proportion of non-drivers out there on the road with us every day. This is compounded by the American entitlement to space combined with a passive approach to driving...

Every morning, I put on my giant pants, lock the door of my giant 3,500 square foot tract mansion, get into my giant Escalade, go to Starbucks to get my giant $4 coffee-mocha-thingie, pop in a DVD for the kiddies, hit the freeway, merge with insuffiicient aggressiveness, mosey over to the "fast" lane, ('cuz doesn't everyone wanna get there fast?), tilt up the rearview mirror 'cuz people can be such a-holes, flashing their headlights- what do they want from me? Besides, the world behind me does not exist anyway. Then I power up the cell phone, power down the brain, and enjoy MY LANE in peace for 20 miles. Just like my big American home on the range, I also OWN this moving piece of pavement, so why pay any attention to anything by MY needs until it's time to exit? What's up with the dirty looks? Just chill out. Sharing the road is such a pain, I have to put down my coffee, check those square, shiny, reflective thingies next to the windshield....way too much work for me.

There's a reason why German cars have ****ty cupholders, if any at all.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:25 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude68
There's a reason why German cars have ****ty cupholders, if any at all.
997GT3RS has cupholders, and a rollcage in europe!
Old 02-01-2008, 05:01 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
...What is it? Laziness? Ignorance? Arrogance?...
Yes, and also, stupidity, conceit, narcissicism, incompetence, etc. and every other asinine idea you can think of.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:20 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is from a post I made to this thread a few months back

“They can generate more revenue pulling over people who impede traffic in the fast lane than they can from people speeding"
-Me
Old 02-01-2008, 05:22 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P.S. RRRrrrrr these people annoy me
Old 02-01-2008, 07:56 AM
leosayer
Racer

It's just as bad, if not worse in the UK.

http://www.middlelanemorons.com/
Old 02-01-2008, 08:14 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Usually is only people in the city that hugs up the fast lane, to them there is no "lane" difference, but if you head out to an interstate (2 lane each direction), you will find about 95% of driver's stick to the move over to the right rule.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:28 AM
dhicks
Drifting

And why......
Dont people use their indicators
Dont people pull up to the white line at traffic lights
Dont people switch on lights in bad weather
Do people insist on making dangerous moves to overtake ONE car in a long line of traffic
Do people pull out of side roads with smoking wheels to get in front of you, only to slow to 10mph
Old 02-01-2008, 08:38 AM
D_Schultz
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
give em a quick double-flash of my high beams (not aggressively)...
Don't know about Cali, but in Illinois that flash is a misdemeanor offense while sitting in the left lane is a mere traffic infraction.

That said - I hate it when traffic won't yield right & always try to do so myself when overtaken.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:42 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's about ego. Being in the left lane means you aren't the fastest car on the road. If somebody passes you, or asks to pass (by flashing), it's a personal insult and challenge.

Last edited by WHB Porsche; 02-01-2008 at 03:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Why dont most drivers pull into the right lane?