Sponsored by:

OT:Five Killed In A 2008 BMW M5

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:48 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis J.
I experienced the same on the M5board. Amazing how many kids 16-25 get performance cars given to them by their parents.

Though my dad could very easily afford to buy me a new car when I turned 16, I was taught to earn my own way and paid for my first car with earnings from my job cleaning tables at a local restaurant.

I'm baffled by successful adults, especially those who are self-made, that think giving their kids so much rope is actually going to help them become responsible and accountable human beings.

Surprisingly (and sadly), there are many even on this board that would will simply dismiss you as being jealous or envious of children whose parents provide them with expensive, high powered cars because your parents didn't give you one when you were a child.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:15 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Stupid, stupid, stupid - we were too. We never wrecked like this though...
Yes, I have been in similar situations when I was 17, but I was very very luck to survive flipping a car a few revolutions into a frozen lake. I was riding shotgun in an ex-cop car; 1974 Fury. We lost it on a long sweeping curve that bordered on a lake in Colorado. No seat belts were worn ( it was illegal back then) by me or the driver, vinyl bench seat -- we were tossed around a lot during the event. Came out with a bruised Kidney, and various small issues. Very, very lucky!!
Old 01-30-2008, 01:08 AM
RSRee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking about making a huge wreck and still walking away from it, this Audi RS6 Avant driver lost it big time, hit a tree at some impressive speed, then got out and called a tow truck on his mobile . Probably didn't have to switch the engine off ...

Old 01-30-2008, 01:19 AM
T Rip
Intermediate

What a tragedy. Why on earth would you let your son take a new 500HP M5 out for an all night ride? With so many boys in the car, one would have to be brain dead not to know they were going to test it. It seems there are some that think impressing others is more important than protecting their kids.

I feel for the other four parents who probably never knew they were doing it. God help them with such a loss.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:48 AM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRee
Talking about making a huge wreck and still walking away from it, this Audi RS6 Avant driver lost it big time, hit a tree at some impressive speed, then got out and called a tow truck on his mobile . Probably didn't have to switch the engine off ...

Last edited by Leander; 01-30-2008 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Bad taste
Old 01-30-2008, 08:36 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Leander
Did you mean to post this link? http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...509625656415&q
Old 01-30-2008, 10:37 AM
melman911
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

You know my first reaction to this is "dumb *** kids". But looking back at my years in high school.....my brother and I did some crazy stupid things (in Jeeps). Never hurt ourselves or anyone else (luckly)....... I hate to admit it but it's true. It's peer pressure and youth (at least partly). Sometime that leaps bounds over good parenting and good judgement. Not an excuse just reality.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 604 Posts

Ah! So that's a Matador?

Originally Posted by RSRee

Old 01-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,218 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo3
Surprisingly (and sadly), there are many even on this board that would will simply dismiss you as being jealous or envious of children whose parents provide them with expensive, high powered cars because your parents didn't give you one when you were a child.
Yep, except that those making that judgment are likely to be parents who buy their kids expensive toys or teen age kids who are the recipients of such gifts, in either case, their opinion wouldn't matter one bit to me. This has nothing to do with "perceived" status, it's about parenting.

Parenting is probably the most important role one can have as an adult IMO. The way I see it, parents are entrusted to teach a developing human being about life and how to navigate through it. It's a huge responsibility. In this regard, creating an environment where a kid can learn principles like the value of money, responsibility and accountability to others I think is considered part of good parenting. On the other hand, what's the brilliant lesson a parent can teach by handing over the keys to a $100k 500HP to his/her "young, dumb, full of ***" teenage kid?

Like Steve and others have said, we all made stupid mistakes as teens...that's what that stage of inexperience and learning is all about. As a parent, one would think it's particularly important to teach values and principles in an attempt to offset some of the inevitable stupid things kids will do. It baffles me that someone who has the acumen to generate the type of income that can facilitate buying a $100k car for a teenage kid thinks it's a good idea to do so.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:04 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 258 Posts

My boys will be driving in 5 years or less. Before this horrible accident, I always thought one of these would make the perfect first car. Add a $300 Maaco paint job and a decent stereo and it has all the protection you want. 0-60 is probably 20 seconds.

http://www.checkertaxistand.com/opti.../limitstart,0/
Old 01-31-2008, 05:11 PM
Woody
Racer

I was more than happy to help my 16 year old into vehicle. We found an old VW bug parked beside a house that had not been run for some time. In the years he had it, he was not very easy on the car but it did teach him how to drive and kept him alive. Most parents do not kill there children with expensive BMWs or even Porsches. Most of the time it is with a Camero or Trans Am or now days the new Mustang is getting its share. Lots of kids can handle the power, too many can not. Why bet the life of your child ?
Old 02-05-2008, 02:10 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 264 Posts

http://www.ocala.com/article/2008020...0347/1025/NEWS
Old 02-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Derek_C
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't take long for one of the parents to lawyer up. The article states the father of one of the victims blames the father of the driver. Of course he does, he's the one who can afford to buy the M5.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I'd wager that they were well over 120. A Taurus does 120.

Did they recover the black box yet?
Old 02-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Bump

Did you notice the Thread right above this one is "What beer do 993 drivers drink?".
I guess the same might be asked of under-aged M5 drivers.

Quick Reply: OT:Five Killed In A 2008 BMW M5