Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone DIY radio with sat and ipod?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:30 PM
mikestash
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone DIY radio with sat and ipod?

Hey all - was thinking of purchasing an updated alpine head unit with ipod cable and xm. Anyone DIY this? Would be interested (separately) about difficulty of ipod cable (glovebox???) and satellite.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a replacement system with nav, iPod and bluetooth phone in my truck. PITA. When I upgraded to an Alpine X-001 for iPod and bluetooth phone (which is very nice) I had the installer do it. Much easier and worth the money to me.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:41 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,082 Likes on 486 Posts

I put a Pioneer head unit (Sirius/ipod) in a few months back. I'm not going to hook up the satellite but I am wondering how to make the ipod cable less visible. The glove box seems like a good spot but I haven't tried putting it in there yet. With the crappy weather we've been having, the car has become an unwilling garage queen! Anyone else done this?
Tim.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Reuben
Addict
Rennlist Member

A few months ago, I finally decided to upgrade my excellent, but 21 (!) year old Pioneer radio/CD player so that I could connect my iPod directly. I installed an Alpine unit, and ran the iPod cable to the glove box, entering where the light is positioned. It was an easy install, with the trickiest part being the lomb re-wiring. It is a doddle to operate the iPod via the headset, though I naturally do not recommend scrolling through all the many sub-menus (genre, artist, song, playlist. album etc.) whilst driving. Obviously, the more lines of text on the headset display, the better.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Southampton76
Racer

I use a harmon kardon idrive unit for the iP-od the remote controller sits on the console and easy to use with heads up and the menu display is mounted centre of the dash.

I plugged mine into my sony with a remote input / output box. The iP-od is in the glove box.

Install took 2 hours.

I also have a XM unit. antenna is mounted on the rear parcel shelf and through a unit under the passenger seat. Install 1 Hour.

Hope that helps.

Mark
Old 01-24-2008, 12:17 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had the dealer install an Alpine X-001 replacement for a CDR-220 with icelink. I had already connected my iPod to a Bird center console unsing a serial printer cable. Used the same cable for the Alpine. The Bluetooth and sat radio were part of the process. The phone mic cable runs 3/4 of th way up the left front pillar, tucked in and no wire showing. The alpine display is really nice. The look is not as elegant as the Becker, but the functions are nice and easy to use. Also has a remote that I never thought I'd use, but do use sometimes. Also suggest getting a new Nano which takes up zero space.

+1 on the X-001.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:48 PM
m_reagan_s
Instructor

I put a Pioneer headunit that's satellite/IPOD/Bluetooth ready in my truck this year. I don't like the aesthetics all that much but functionally it's fantasic. It controls my IPOD via the headuint and I keep the IPOD in the glove box. The sat. radio is great because I don't need a extra display on the dashboard.

Be aware that the IPOD cable is an extra cost with most of these units and the Bluetooth module costs almost as much as the head unit.

I just bought a Traffic Pro for my 993 and am in the process of trying to figure out how to connect all my devices.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:49 PM
henkinc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could someone tell me the DIY link for removing the CDR-210, stock OEM radio from the dash please? I Know I Saw This but cannot find it now.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:14 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

I had the devil of a time trying to get the original radio out, until I realized that it needed to be pushed out from behind by reaching under the dash, rather than pulled from the front. Plus it had the little gravity locks that kept dropping back down...

If yours has a round hole at each corner, just insert a nail of suitable size to release the locks, then push it out from the rear.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:19 PM
henkinc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine does not have four round holes that I can see. It is a CDR-210 on a 1997 C2. Do you have a pix of your CDR-210??
Old 07-27-2008, 10:56 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

Sorry, I don't have a pix of mine, and it's gone.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:41 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

I have a Alpine CDA-9884 with iPod and Sirius...Replacing radios in these cars (well, 964 at least, I would assume 993 to be the same) is a snap - much easier than my other car I did it on. Its basically plug and play, just snapping all the little connectors into each other.

On the Alpine, the iPod cable is standard w/ the head unit. The XM/Sirius control unit is extra. Its really nice having everything integrated into one interface (the head unit) without having to have extra screens/control devices.

Quick Reply: Anyone DIY radio with sat and ipod?