Fabspeed Motorsports Sportcats/Catbypass Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 12:26 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

Mark,

anything that allows more exhaust flow will cause you to increase airflow into the engine and thus increase your fuel needs to maintain the proper AFR. Cats restrict flow, and thus could cause a car to run richer than the same car without cats. The engine computer can adapt the fuel mixture to a certain point over time - adaptation, but only to the extent that the injector size and fuel pressure will allow (there is a max). Air density increases (colder air) also leads to potentially leaner conditions just due to the increased # of oxygen molecules. Also, do your tuning on a dyno with a wideband O2 sensor. Tuning by stopwatch is like unprotected sex in Haiti.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:46 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
Mark,

anything that allows more exhaust flow will cause you to increase airflow into the engine and thus increase your fuel needs to maintain the proper AFR. Cats restrict flow, and thus could cause a car to run richer than the same car without cats. The engine computer can adapt the fuel mixture to a certain point over time - adaptation, but only to the extent that the injector size and fuel pressure will allow (there is a max). Air density increases (colder air) also leads to potentially leaner conditions just due to the increased # of oxygen molecules. Also, do your tuning on a dyno with a wideband O2 sensor. Tuning by stopwatch is like unprotected sex in Haiti.
Thanks for the info.

I know the G Timer is not ideal, but I'm not sure if I'm up for renting a dyno.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:07 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dyno time is about $100/hour. Most likely you won't be able to increase the airflow thru the engine enough to max out your fuel injectors on a naturally aspirated car unless you do cams and headwork, but it is far safer to measure your gains and AFR with each mod. A good fuel injector calculator is here:

http://www.rceng.com/technical.aspx

Cheers
Old 01-17-2008, 05:53 AM
Peter R.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok dude, what about this...

You send me a pair of them there sports cats. I'll pay for the shipping. I'll put the car on a dyno. Then I'll replace the old cat. I'll weigh it on a digital scale, install it and put the car on the dyno.

If I loose 20 lbs and gain 8 hp I'll pay for it. If I don't, it's on you.

Can't be fairer than that, can I ?

Peter R.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Interesting, so it goes into the big part, & hangs out pre cat. It is a common chamber. So, this "should' create a lot of back pressure? {Yes} So, wouldn't anything that speeds up exhaust flow there increase HP{Yes} a bit given same flow rates? {???not sure I understand what you are referring to}
my comments in blue
Old 01-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

While backpressure itself is never going to help power gains, resonance tuning of the exhaust can. The length of the primary runners of the exhaust manifold/header is often "tuned' to a length to increase exhaust scavenging out of the combustion chamber. Depending on length the the gains will be seen as added torque at certain ranges in the rpms. That is why racing exhaust manifolds don't just dump freely into the open air before merging at the collector.
Acoustice or "resonance" tuning does work well when you have an open exhaust and cams w/ a reasonable amount of overlap for the acoustic signals to work w/. Unfortunately w/ mufflers and smog cams w/ little or no overlap acoustic tuning doesn't work so well.

In any event the stock cast iron 993 headers are far from ideal wrt equal length & colector design. The best they can do is keep the pulses separated as far apart as possible untill the collector and to have as few bends as possible and to be correctly sized for expected flow volume and to provide heat.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:06 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

The first reflection occurs at the collector, and realistically is the only important one for resonance tuning. Everything aft may lead to some higher orders but will have trivial contribution. Even with minimal overlap there is still some benefit, but surely not 20-30hp worth on an otherwise stock car. The stock manifolds are not optimal for performance, but for longevity, noise control, heat, cost, etc as you have mentioned.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Remember if you go to the bipasses and straight pipes you should check your air/fuel ratios as you will likely lean out your cylinders which can burn up pistons quickly. A aftermarketchip/flash can address that issue. Tom W. mentioned that in his article too....
First the 993 MAF is more resposive than the 964 barndoor, second perhaps w/ an open exhaust but even then i'm doubtful, third it's always best to check anyway wideband O sensors are widely available

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
So, are you saying that I should not have any lean combustion issues if I run a cat? One of my track buddies thinks he burned a cylinder in his 964 because of a lean issue due to cats. I'm planning on trying to tune the potential lessened backpressure(?)/higher horsepower-lower torque issues from the DACH X pipes by adjusting the timing and by playing with my first gen Fabspeed Supercups and the Car Chemistry muffler discs, utilizing a G Timer to assess accleration times. I'm hoping to take the increased peak HP and see what I can do to tune torque. I'm not sure how sound this is and am not sure if I'll actually have time to do all of this, but I'm willing to try.
No, you shouldn't have any lean issues even without a cat. How are you going to adjust timing? All fuel and timing parameters are totally controlled by the chip in the DME. I haven't installed my Car chemistry disks, I bought them to control noise but they will certainly raise back pressure and slow flow rate.

As noted in post 28 & 36 A correctly sized and constructed equal length header system w/ properly sized and constructed collector used w/ cams that have a fair amount of overlap can use the acoustic echos in the pipes to put a negative pressure signal at the exhaust port at the right time to suck additional charge into the combustion chamber. The pipes are like organ pipes, width and length resonate at different frequencies This is sometimes referred to as "the 5th cycle" or "exhaust scavenging". I've dynoed 3.0, 3.6 & 3.8 w/ stock and sport cams w/ stock and various aftermarket exhausts. It works best on open exhaust b w/ cams w/ a button up exhaust and stock cams the effect is greatly muted. The resonance effect only happens at 1 frequency range, w/ 31" true headers that is ~6500 for our engines, the down side is that way down the rev range the headers put a positive signal the reduces flow. You can both hear and feel both of these effects when driving.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

The first reflection occurs at the collector, and realistically is the only important one for resonance tuning. Everything aft may lead to some higher orders but will have trivial contribution. Even with minimal overlap there is still some benefit, but surely not 20-30hp worth on an otherwise stock car. The stock manifolds are not optimal for performance, but for longevity, noise control, heat, cost, etc as you have mentioned.
There is a reflection form the collector but aagain there will be no extra charge in the cuylinder unless bioth intake and exhaust valve are open at the same time(overlap) in af=ddition every back to back comparison shows a relative insensitivity to pipe lengeth variation of <~10%. The collector merge and lenth is much more important. Open exhast can be simulated by terminating the post collector pipe an inch or more into the muffler.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:14 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is a simple primary manifold length calculator here, as Bill mentioned tuning is really optimizing for a narrow rpm range:

http://www.wallaceracing.com/header_length.php

BTW here is a pic of the mis-fit of my Fabspeed Cat deletes on my TT:

I needed to grind off about 1/2" of each heat pipe duct to allow the unit to fit. Even then, the angle of 1 of the O2 sensor bungs makes 1 sensor impinge upon the crankcase itself.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:19 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
There is a reflection form the collector but aagain there will be no extra charge in the cuylinder unless bioth intake and exhaust valve are open at the same time(overlap) in af=ddition every back to back comparison shows a relative insensitivity to pipe lengeth variation of <~10%. The collector merge and lenth is much more important. Open exhast can be simulated by terminating the post collector pipe an inch or more into the muffler.
Absolutely. But every cam does have some degree of overlap so there is always some scavenging possible. Collector design is more about reducing turbulence and flow restriction. Most collectors suck because of the expense to manufacture something with a nicer transition like a Burns collector.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let me reiterate something that I have posted before
first understand the difference between the engines being discussed and alluded to.
Even fire engines
Porsche 911/964/993/996/997 in all of it's versions
Ferrari V8s, Cart V8s all V8s w/ 90* V angle and a flat single plane(180*) crank

Odd fire engines
US V8s all V8s w/ a 90* v angle and a 90* dual plane(X)crank

What's the difference?
Even fire always fires alternate banks sequentially(LRLRLR....) so that there is a maximum separation and flow of exhaust gas through a collector. In a flat 6 each collector sees an exhaust pulse only every 120* of crankshaft rotation, in 90* V8 w/ flat crank each collector sees a pulse of gas every 90* of crankshaft rotation.

Odd fire always fires consecutively(LRRLRLLR for a Corvette) into a single collector on one side then consecutively into the other collector. Some gas pulses in a given collector are 180* apart in a given collector BUT there are 2 that are only 90* apart on one side and 2 only 90* apart on the other side. These consecutive pulses into a single collector overload any collector that is sized for all the other pulses, so it either needs to be over sized for most of the time or other accommodations need to be made.

What are the other accommodations appropriate for an odd fire engine?
There are 2
NASCAR and the US hotrod worlds have popularized the crossover. It is very effective in that application. Placement, merge style and size are not critical

Ford on their Lemans GT40s used a different solution. They used a "bundle of snakes" exhaust aka 180* exhaust where one left cylinder goes to the right collector and one right cylinder goes to the left collector. The resulting configuration eliminates the consecutive fire into a single collector. Every pulse has a full 90* separation from the others. The collector can then be sized appropriately. This solution is occasionally seen on other V8s but is rarely implemented because of cost, packaging and manufacturing concerns.

second understand that acoustic tuning by varying the length & diameter of the primary & secondary pipes and the configuration of the collectors due to reflected signals in the pipes is largely negated by hooking them up to a muffler. The effectiveness of acousic exhaust tuning is also negated by increasingly short cam duration, timing & overlap periods.

third the effect of any merged exhaust whether on one side or in a x-over situation is to broaden the torque curve at the expense of peak hp

That said a 911 flat 6 doesn't receive the significant benefit from a x -over as implemented in a US V8. It may recieve a benificial result of enhanced midrange torque from a properly designed merge x- over. The specific implementation on the 6 is far more critical than on the V8 where the x-over can be placed just about any where in either an X or H configuration.

Lastly you will note that Porsche has never used a x-over on any race engine. Prefering proper pipe length, diameter, merge and megaphones(where allowed)
Old 01-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Thanks for all of your info, Bill.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:12 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

third the effect of any merged exhaust whether on one side or in a x-over situation is to broaden the torque curve at the expense of peak hp

That said a 911 flat 6 doesn't receive the significant benefit from a x -over as implemented in a US V8. It may recieve a benificial result of enhanced midrange torque from a properly designed merge x- over. The specific implementation on the 6 is far more critical than on the V8 where the x-over can be placed just about any where in either an X or H configuration.

Lastly you will note that Porsche has never used a x-over on any race engine. Prefering proper pipe length, diameter, merge and megaphones(where allowed)
Porsche racing, Ninemeister, Fabspeed and you all agree that for max top end power, split flow is best. Consider it settled, then.

But how many of these bypasses, sport cats and X pipes are sold for pure track cars, vs street cars where 10hp at 4000 rpm is a much greater benefit than 10hp at 6500 rpm? So, as you say:
911 flat 6 ... may recieve a benificial result of enhanced midrange torque from a properly designed merge x- over.
Seems like that would be important to about 90% of the end users. What IS a properly designed merge x- over for our engines?
Old 01-17-2008, 11:28 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

some x-overs or balance tubes are done purely for tonal qualities and reducing exhaust resonance. Also, putting Fabspeed in the same sentence as Porsche racing is heresy

Quick Reply: Fabspeed Motorsports Sportcats/Catbypass Pipes