993 Forum 1995-1998

The Total Loss Experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:21 PM
nsully
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default The Total Loss Experience

Well, my 993 was totaled last month. December 20th to be exact, around 2 o’clock, on the way to visit Andreas. A young lady, 23, decided that she was “in a hurry” (that’s from the police report) and decided that the STOP SIGN was just a suggestion. So, the slow motion, hood into her door, explosion of air bags, smoke and stink from the air bags, sitting in the car on the side of the road, death grip on the steering wheel, wondering what’s broken, thing happened. Was I pissed!
Keep in mind I had driven home from a Mark Nadler top end, 461 miles of New England Interstate, 6 days prior.
Next day I get the call from State Farm, the Body Shop estimate exceeds $28,000 and that does not include mechanical repair. We are prepared to offer you $26,850 plus Maryland sales tax. And so the game begins! Have you heard of Low-Ball?
I faxed 21 pages of receipts, and prepared a spreadsheet of comparable cars located on the east coast. Finally, we arrived at what I believed to be a fair price. Then I decided to repeat the process with the Porsche Killer’s insurance company, USAA. They were great! A far more realistic view of 993 values. I have since settled for the Total Loss with USAA.

Meanwhile, I jumped on Rennlist and PCA to see what was available. The Florida Crown Region lists a 97 993 in white. YES! I contact the owner and he can’t believe it- just traded it to BRUMOS the day before. He gives me a forthright and detailed accounting of the car, exactly what I was looking for, and the salesman’s name. Now remember, I am one of those guys who wouldn’t consider purchasing from a dealer in a million years so… I call BRUMOS and speak with Roger Edmondson. I cannot say enough about Roger. He did everything humanly possible to help me know all I could about this car. Faxes of all the service invoices, photos from every angle, emails answering all my crazy questions, and this is the best part, he worked with me on the price. I feel I got an excellent deal. My wife and I fly down to Jacksonville early morning New Years Eve. Stan from Brumos picks us up in a Cayenne. Next thing you know the 993 is up on the lift, with Roger and a mechanic patiently helping me go through my checklist - - took forever. The Parts Dept. Manager comes out to help with little odds and ends. Test drive all over the place! Meet with Ray Shaffer, sales manager who reviews the service they did to make it BRUMOS-worthy. It is. And then it’s off to Amelia Island for the evening. Did I mention they gave me a full tank of gas? Hurley Haywood test-drove my car - at least that’s what the sticker said. BRUMOS PORSCHE is really something!

Just ordered a ROW 030 suspension from Bob. Second one in 2 years. I know a lot of us go Sunset but Bob and his knowledge base are hard to beat. Doing the bushes from Chris as well. Not completely sure but I may even have the thumbs up from Andreas.

That’s my story. Be prepared to go the distance with the insurance if this happens to you. Save all of those receipts. Remember that in most states you should be reimbursed for sales tax and titling fees. You have the right to go to arbitration. And get another one as soon as you find it!
Neil
Old 01-14-2008, 09:32 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by nsully
Well, my 993 was totaled last month. December 20th to be exact, around 2 o’clock, on the way to visit Andreas. A young lady, 23, decided that she was “in a hurry” (that’s from the police report) and decided that the STOP SIGN was just a suggestion. So, the slow motion, hood into her door, explosion of air bags, smoke and stink from the air bags, sitting in the car on the side of the road, death grip on the steering wheel, wondering what’s broken, thing happened. Was I pissed!
Keep in mind I had driven home from a Mark Nadler top end, 461 miles of New England Interstate, 6 days prior.
Next day I get the call from State Farm, the Body Shop estimate exceeds $28,000 and that does not include mechanical repair. We are prepared to offer you $26,850 plus Maryland sales tax. And so the game begins! Have you heard of Low-Ball?
I faxed 21 pages of receipts, and prepared a spreadsheet of comparable cars located on the east coast. Finally, we arrived at what I believed to be a fair price. Then I decided to repeat the process with the Porsche Killer’s insurance company, USAA. They were great! A far more realistic view of 993 values. I have since settled for the Total Loss with USAA.

Meanwhile, I jumped on Rennlist and PCA to see what was available. The Florida Crown Region lists a 97 993 in white. YES! I contact the owner and he can’t believe it- just traded it to BRUMOS the day before. He gives me a forthright and detailed accounting of the car, exactly what I was looking for, and the salesman’s name. Now remember, I am one of those guys who wouldn’t consider purchasing from a dealer in a million years so… I call BRUMOS and speak with Roger Edmondson. I cannot say enough about Roger. He did everything humanly possible to help me know all I could about this car. Faxes of all the service invoices, photos from every angle, emails answering all my crazy questions, and this is the best part, he worked with me on the price. I feel I got an excellent deal. My wife and I fly down to Jacksonville early morning New Years Eve. Stan from Brumos picks us up in a Cayenne. Next thing you know the 993 is up on the lift, with Roger and a mechanic patiently helping me go through my checklist - - took forever. The Parts Dept. Manager comes out to help with little odds and ends. Test drive all over the place! Meet with Ray Shaffer, sales manager who reviews the service they did to make it BRUMOS-worthy. It is. And then it’s off to Amelia Island for the evening. Did I mention they gave me a full tank of gas? Hurley Haywood test-drove my car - at least that’s what the sticker said. BRUMOS PORSCHE is really something!

Just ordered a ROW 030 suspension from Bob. Second one in 2 years. I know a lot of us go Sunset but Bob and his knowledge base are hard to beat. Doing the bushes from Chris as well. Not completely sure but I may even have the thumbs up from Andreas.

That’s my story. Be prepared to go the distance with the insurance if this happens to you. Save all of those receipts. Remember that in most states you should be reimbursed for sales tax and titling fees. You have the right to go to arbitration. And get another one as soon as you find it!
Neil
Sorry to hear about your loss Neil. If that happened to me after Mark Nadler did my "top end" last year I would have been utterly crestfallen. The important thing is that you are ok. And you have a new 993! Enjoy it in good health.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Scooter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dealt with State Farm a couple of years ago on my totaled 964. They initially low-balled me, but quickly agreed to have an independent appraiser come out and appraise the car. I was satisfied with the result. State Farm was very easy to deal with. The claims adjuster told me that the initial quote was not realistic for Porsches, because they are exotic vehicles. The quote was from a service that works better for non-modified, run of the mill type vehicles (i.e., Honda, Toyota, Ford, etc.).
Old 01-14-2008, 09:44 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Neil's pics:

Andreas
Old 01-14-2008, 09:55 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Hard to believe that is totaled. Just doesn't look like much from the photo. Must have been a very scary experience. Good that you are unhurt and congrats on the new 993
Old 01-14-2008, 10:00 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree...it looks FAR from totalled (and I'm certainly not qualified to tell if it was), but glad to see you found another!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:07 PM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

What happened to all of the good parts?
Old 01-14-2008, 10:11 PM
hyphenf15
Pro

Glad you didn't get hurt and congrats on the new ride.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:58 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear of your incident! That's hardly totalled!
I just looked at a Silver/Black C4S here at a local repair shop that is being rebuilt that has damage at each quarter section as well as the roof, and both fenders replaced. This car should have most definitely been totalled but shockingly wasn't.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:02 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was expecting much worse too. I think they are build like tanks.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:39 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

In this case, I think it's in the details. When I met Neil at The Scene, it was apparent that the car had sustained far more damage than just a pushed-in nose. The sunroof was popped out of its cavity, the doors were misaligned, the plastic panels under the front of the tub were buckled, etc. It was a very sad sight to see, considering the amount of work Neil put into the car.

The replacement 993 is very nice though!

Andreas
Old 01-14-2008, 11:43 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sucks to read about the accident but you walked away from it and thats the most important part. I've had USAA for years and have had nothing but good experiences when I've needed them. I even got a check from them for an annual dividend/refund just a couple weeks ago. No affiliation yadda yadda! Best of luck with the new ride!
Old 01-14-2008, 11:47 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
Best of luck with whatever you buy next!
Neil's 'new' 993 is shown in my 4th pic.

Andreas
Old 01-14-2008, 11:51 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

So sorry to hear about your car. Sure am glad that I am insured by USAA! They are great, I hope I never have to find out the hard way.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:53 PM
samsnead
Pro

This is what a totaled car looks like.

Last edited by samsnead; 02-10-2011 at 01:14 PM.

Quick Reply: The Total Loss Experience