The Total Loss Experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 07:52 AM
nsully
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Noah - the engine tray is yours.
Vic - CD cassette is yours
Randy - email me with the mailing particulars, A arm protectors.

Thanks,
Neil
Old 01-16-2008, 10:24 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neil,

Congrats on the new car, it looks nice, glad to hear nobody was injured.

Jay
Old 07-01-2008, 12:34 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by nsully
Well, my 993 was totaled last month...
Neil
Neil, I found your car on Sunday. It's now local to me. The guy who has it bought it at an insurance auction for $15k, repaired it and is using it as a "showcase" for his metal fabrication shop. He put a RS wing on it, a 997 look bumper cover/splitter and a half cage. You'd never know the car was written off. The exhaust he has on it now (his own fabrication) sounds like the four horseman of the apocalypse are coming to get you. He learned through me how lucky he was to "steal" this car especially considering the work you had done on it just prior to your mishap. Just thought you might want to know...

Hope you are enjoying your new ride!
Old 07-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Redblurr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a great description of the crash, felt like I was there with you. Happy your OK and have another beaut. Way to stick it to the man too! Never give up agaianst the Ins. companies.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
Neil, I found your car on Sunday.
Rennlist never fails to amaze me.

How did you figure out it was Neil's car?
Old 07-01-2008, 01:54 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Smiles
Rennlist never fails to amaze me.

How did you figure out it was Neil's car?
I was at an Auto-X on Sunday and had never seen the car before as I think there are about 2-3 993's in the area tops so I'm always curious about their acquisition. I asked the guy how where he got it and he told me at an Insurance Auction. I then asked where the car was from, he told me Maryland. I knew that Neil had his top end done at the same shop I did just prior to his mishap and put two and two together.

Let me tell you this guy lucked out. Other than a few new panels, new front suspension a little frame straightening and some paint, he has a car that is in terrific shape and great mechanical condition.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:46 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
Neil, I found your car on Sunday. It's now local to me. The guy who has it bought it at an insurance auction for $15k, repaired it and is using it as a "showcase" for his metal fabrication shop. He put a RS wing on it, a 997 look bumper cover/splitter and a half cage. You'd never know the car was written off. The exhaust he has on it now (his own fabrication) sounds like the four horseman of the apocalypse are coming to get you. He learned through me how lucky he was to "steal" this car especially considering the work you had done on it just prior to your mishap. Just thought you might want to know...

Hope you are enjoying your new ride!
Freddy,
Neil & I checked the same car over at Hershey recently. The seller wanted silly money for it....

Andreas
Old 07-01-2008, 09:00 PM
nsully
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Fred,
Thanks for keeping me up to date on my old ride. As a matter of fact I still have a set of keys to it. A good memory jog to all potential buyers to take a very close look at the title, and documentation. I am under the impression that not all states require salvage history to be documented.
I did see it at Hershey, and I was a little surprised at the choices used for it's transformation. The custom exhaust was in the experiential stage at that time and there were issues with clearance-nice welding though.
Thinking back I believe USAA let it go for12K. Weekendrides.com, the initial salvage purchaser must have flipped it for a quick 3K!
So... the real question is how did it run? I was so impressed with Mark's work that to me it was like a whole new car. Hope it works out for the new owner. Keep us posted,
Neil
Old 07-01-2008, 10:59 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Freddy,
Neil & I checked the same car over at Hershey recently. The seller wanted silly money for it....

Andreas
He's flipping it already? I didn't take a hard look at the car but it looked ok. White paint is a hard one to notice imperfections unless you are really looking for something. From a salvage perspective I'm thinking that engine alone has to be worth $17-19K or so and a several grand for the other bits and pieces.

Originally Posted by nsully
Fred,
Thanks for keeping me up to date on my old ride. As a matter of fact I still have a set of keys to it. A good memory jog to all potential buyers to take a very close look at the title, and documentation. I am under the impression that not all states require salvage history to be documented.
I did see it at Hershey, and I was a little surprised at the choices used for it's transformation. The custom exhaust was in the experiential stage at that time and there were issues with clearance-nice welding though.
Thinking back I believe USAA let it go for12K. Weekendrides.com, the initial salvage purchaser must have flipped it for a quick 3K!
So... the real question is how did it run? I was so impressed with Mark's work that to me it was like a whole new car. Hope it works out for the new owner. Keep us posted,
Neil
The exhaust sounds like armageddon is a-coming, loud and gutteral doesnt begin to describe it. In terms of "worksmanship" well at least what I saw, the tips looked like bottom spouts on your rain gutter system. I'm not a fan of the 997 bumper cover personally, just not my style.

In terms of performance I was putting .9-1.25 seconds on him per run (42-44 second run)on a very tight course with a C4 with some RS spec suspension parts, but with similar 220 treadwear rubber so I'm sure that is worth some time. I'd like to think it was down more to skill but I can't be the judge of that.

There's a chance I'll see it again this Sunday as I'm going to another Auto-X that he might be at. I'll "scrutineer" it a bit more then.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:46 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fred, is this a local VT guy?
Old 07-02-2008, 08:40 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noah
Fred, is this a local VT guy?
Yep, he lives in Barre, his business is in Colchester.

Quick Reply: The Total Loss Experience