Sponsored by:

Sumitomo HTR ZIII, any good?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 05:11 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
Exactly. Most people, despite how great a driver they think they are, wouldn't be able to get maximum performance out of the Sumi's anyway (or Hankook's or -insert your favorite brand here-) much less the Michelin's.
And perhaps the biggest factor here, for street driving ANY tire available in sizes for the 993 will offer FAR more performance than we should use on the street anyway.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:27 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
And perhaps the biggest factor here, for street driving ANY tire available in sizes for the 993 will offer FAR more performance than we should use on the street anyway.
Yes, you're absolutely right. I was actually referring to most folks who do DE's
Old 06-26-2011, 10:27 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
Yes, you're absolutely right. I was actually referring to most folks who do DE's
And even at our local PCA, the tire is quite popular due to obvious reason: price performance ratio
Old 06-26-2011, 11:43 AM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by e9stibi
The new super sports should be far superior. I remember a posting from a rennlister 6 months ago that was invited by Michelin for testing to Dubai and he stated that the dry grip is at least as good as for the R-Compound PSC. Enjoy them. Still, for the money the Sumis are an interesting tire.

Yup, we were one such rennlister and blogger that made the trip too. You can read our review of the Michelin Pilot Super Sport and our experiences in Dubai on our site.

Like everyone else, and as mentioned in my original post, I think the Sumi is a fantastic tire for the money. However, after driving the Michelins for a couple of days I'm reminded of just how much better they are.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:09 PM
sacman
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

For the money, they're hard to beat. I had them on my VW gti and they performed pretty well in dry road. They were a little noisier and complete bald after their spec, 30K miles,. Two weeks ago, I replace them with Mich PS a/s and like them a little better in terms of road noise and around the corners. Mich seem to have stiffer side walls. But then again, the Mich cost almost 2x the Sumi. For a weekend car, I would definitely use the Sumi.

QN
Old 06-18-2012, 12:47 AM
993rookie
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 tires

Any updates to a thread for a year ago regarding 993 tires? I've got Bridgestone Potenza RE50 & need new rears. I don't want to drop the coin on these again & want to change to something less than $200/tire. Read some good reviews in here about Sumitomo HTRZ3 & BFGoodrich. Driving habits - DD to work a very short distance to & from work, only get down on a couple corners when the soccer moms arent standing in their yards looking for me. Front Bridgestones still good for a while, how bad is it to have different fronts than rears? Thanks a ton - new to the Porsche lifestyle for about 2 months now (96 993 just purchased) & read Rennlist every day.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:00 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 993rookie
Any updates to a thread for a year ago regarding 993 tires? I've got Bridgestone Potenza RE50 & need new rears. I don't want to drop the coin on these again & want to change to something less than $200/tire. Read some good reviews in here about Sumitomo HTRZ3 & BFGoodrich. Driving habits - DD to work a very short distance to & from work, only get down on a couple corners when the soccer moms arent standing in their yards looking for me. Front Bridgestones still good for a while, how bad is it to have different fronts than rears? Thanks a ton - new to the Porsche lifestyle for about 2 months now (96 993 just purchased) & read Rennlist every day.
Not terrible based on what you do with the car. Put the Sumi's on the rears and enjoy yourself. The good news is that if you don't like them (or the mismatch), you'll get the chance to choose again around 10k miles from now.

Quick Reply: Sumitomo HTR ZIII, any good?