Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seen this? Mini vs 993

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 02:21 AM
RSRee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a one time holder of a Canadian National Racing License and having once raced an 1968 1275 Austin Cooper S on tracks such as Mosport and Harewood Acres that was the scariest bit of motor racing I have ever seen - couldn't bear to watch more than a couple of minutes of it. What was the average speed: 40mph? I wonder if they had to change their underwear afterwards - never heard of setting up for a 4-wheel drift I guess. OK .... all in good fun, but the 993 should have left the Mini as if it was standing still!

BTW - some years ago I almost broke a lifetime friendship when I told a good friend that the engine in his Mini Cooper was actually a Brazilian built Chrysler Neon derivative and shared with the PT Cruiser! How to hurt a guy's feelings when they thought they had bought a car with a German pedigree!
Old 12-21-2007, 09:29 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Can I ask why you sold the Mini so quickly?[/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE]

Well, I had a great relationship with the BMW dealer and told them that if they get the franchise I wanted to be first on the list. Then they got the franchise and I gave them $1000 and was supposedly the first on the list. I ended up getting the first or second S that they got and it was the 6th mini that they sold. The experience kinda sucked because the car that I ordered was given to the owners friend when and I had to tke whatever was available next. I was reallt good friends with the parts guys so I got the scoop. Anyway, it was a Dark Gray cooper S loaded with sport, blue leather, sunroof etc. Every option that you could get at the time. To make a short story long, I was pissed about the whole experience and it was also well over a year since I ordered the car so I really didnt even need the car anymore. I picked it up, and took it to the track that weekend (I was gentle on it since it was new) and actually used it to pace the BMWCCA race at Mid Ohio since no one had seen one before. It was a nice car but I just didnt need it. I listed it on Autoweek and sold it the first week to Sirius Radio for a promo car. They picked it up in a 48' semi and took it to California for a major makeover. It is the car that Sirius took to all the events. It had 1500 miles on it when I sold it. My wife was sad but I told her we can keep the M3 or the Mini and she chose the M3.

Cliff notes:
Bought Mini, pissed at dealer, took car to track, sold car to Sirius Radio, made $3500 after all said and done.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:37 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 343 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by RJT
Can I ask why you sold the Mini so quickly?

Originally Posted by CarreraX
Cliff notes:
Bought Mini, pissed at dealer, took car to track, sold car to Sirius Radio, made $3500 after all said and done.

Made Money on it. Enough said.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:44 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by George A
eclou, you've got to change the music on your TWS video!!!! Is that Madona?!?!

G.
Well,

I got some others slightly less mainstream

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...75141593&hl=en

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...75921816&hl=en
Old 12-21-2007, 03:49 PM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey - I've been passed on track by a MCS - no biggie; it had a rollcage and the rear seats taken out, came on a trailer and left on a trailer. I drove my car to the track had fun and went home in one piece.

Thats my only rule at trackdays - get home in one piece, have fun...(which is why I went home early the last time I went to the Nurbrgring as the rain was soooo bad I couldn't even see the track - and I dont know it anyway - and spun off twice in one lap. Didn't anything; decided it was best not to try for a third and went home)...
Old 12-21-2007, 04:46 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRee
all in good fun, but the 993 should have left the Mini as if it was standing still!

!

...........not necessarily...
This is from the page about the race:

MINI specifications summary:

Madness Stage 4 265HP Power package
Madness Stage 2 Drivetrain Package
Madness rear sway bar, coilovers suspension, camber plates and rear control arms
Wilwood big brake kit, Ferodo rear pads, Motul brake fluid
Evotech Stage 5 race software with 7500rpm limit, larger fuel injectors and Madness prototype supercharger

The page is:
http://mini-madness.com/html/MINI-vs-porsche.htm

probably putting out 245-260 hp in a car that weighs in race trim about 2300lb
Old 12-21-2007, 11:03 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually with those specs I would expect the Mini to do better against a 993 than it did.
Wouldn't a comparable upgrade to a 993 be a supercharger?
Old 12-22-2007, 11:47 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Mike, you are spot on. The key variable there is weight. Weight makes a world of difference. At that race, my car was essentially exactly the same as when it was a street car. The first thing I did was change the suspension when I bought it to some race Bilstiens and TRG sway bars. I did nothing but safety stuff from street to race trim. Remember, the Mini is in a Mod class (their highest) while mine is in Stock and had to weight 3064 lbs. without me.

What I find comical is that at the time, what was basically a street 993 (non turbo) was all over a highly race prepped Mini. The thing didn't even have headlights, they were painted on. Anyway, in my opinion, that car should have left me in the dust. The site with all the Mini parts knows that my car is not a turbo (I've told him, as has Jason) but I think he thinks it makes him sell more mods. Oh well, I see it as false advertising but I guess it sound better than being hounded by a street car....

Finally, if you notice that was a really short race. I have no idea why they threw that flag so fast. It was scheduled to be a 30 minute race but I think it only lasted 15 minutes. I think the outcome would have been different had they run the full race. But then again, it was a BMW event and I know they hated it when pcars won.

G.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:52 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by eclou
Well, I can live with The Prodigy but not the rest. They just don't seem right for racing. I'm reminded of Ricky Bobby's arch rival.

Here is what they should sound like. This is from my first ever club race against a good friend. You have to see the ending....

http://p993.net/george/Cowboys_from_Hell.wmv

Now for some 993 bliss, here is one of me going against what has to be my dream car, a real RSCS at TWS.

http://p993.net/george/PCA-CR-TWS-20...ro%20Start.wmv

G.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:24 PM
kb
Instructor

Do you have additional film on this? I would like to see how you did on the straight with your nemesis behind you with a bit more top end! Good video though.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:41 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

kb, that car is in a different class, more top end, more bottom end, more of everything. That's the Club Sport version of an RS. He indicated that it was one of only three in the country. He was having problems and he never did get back by me. I think he broke and pulled into the pits right after that. Here is the continuation of the video (or at least the next 10 minutes). I got passed by the two red car behind me (I hit the curbing really hard). I got back in front of one and then the other broke. Actually, I think both broke. None of them were in my class, so I really didn't care (except for pride). Here is the video:

http://p993.net/george/PCA-CR-TWS-2007-EnduroPart2.wmv

This was a 90 minute enduro so after the video above is was completely boring except for this next clip. It happened within 2 laps of each other and it was the same car. This was with about 10 minutes to go in the race. I was kind of in la-la land but his woke me up.

http://p993.net/george/Ops.wmv

I've got a bunch of video of all my races. I just need to put them up on my site. I've been buried with work so I'm falling behind. BTW, one of my best races was the first sprint race of the above weekend. I showed up to grid late and had to start from the back of pack (around 40 cars) as did a 996 GT3. He and I duked it out for the second half of the race. Too bad that in my rush to get to the grid, I didn't turn the video on!!!!!! That car would gain anywhere from 7 to 10 car length on me in the long straight but I would get back on his tail by turn 4. I probably made at least 20 pass attempt (all unsuccessful). Good times.....

G.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:10 PM
kb
Instructor

Very nice. Glad to see u held ya own with one of the red 911's. 993 pride intact. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Quick Reply: Seen this? Mini vs 993