Sponsored by:

Temporary Power Window Failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:46 AM
James K
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Temporary Power Window Failure

Sometimes after starting my car the power windows don't work. I try all three switches but they don't move (whether they are stuck up or down). But after 5-15 minutes all three will start working again at the same time. I feel that the issue might be temperature related because I noticed the problem when I bought the car last February and then the problem seemed to stop into the spring and summer, but now that we are in December the problem seems to be coming back. Any thoughts on this one?
Old 12-17-2007, 01:05 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

How cold is the car when its parked and you start it up? I have noticed the motors are a bit more cranky when really cold. I also have noticed the battery level counts a lot ; if the battery is down a bit that can cause the window movement to be slower. Is it cold enough to freeze? If so then perhaps water is on the seals and is frozen, gripping the door glass a bit and causing the window motors to work harder...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-17-2007, 02:38 PM
James K
Rennlist Member

It's not real cold when it's being started. It's either parked in my home garage (unheated) or at an underground garage at work. I haven't noticed the speed of the window changing, it either works or it doesn't. I have also tried to "aid" the window down by pushing down on the window with the door open and this doesn't seem to work either.

Thanks,
James
Old 12-17-2007, 02:41 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Swap out the window switches.

Anytime is get some 'weirdness' in the windows it always ends up being the switches. I keep at least three or four handy at all times.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:25 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

I have had this happen to all 3 of the 911s that I have owned ('89 cab, '95 C2, '96 C4 cab). My present car has done this intermitently since it was new. I can't remember the last time it happened so maybe the car is finally getting broken in.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:19 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

+1 with changing the switches.
I also keep at least 3 'handy' (two in my toolshed, one in my glovebox).

You *might* try gently prying BOTH driver and passenger switches out and off of their female-connectors and spraying with WD-40.

Gerry
Old 12-18-2007, 06:50 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Relay?
Old 12-19-2007, 02:59 PM
burton
Rennlist Member

My driver side window switch went last year. Rolled down the window on a crisp December New England morning for some fresh air. It stayed down for the remainder of the trip. The switch wasn't balky prior to giving up, it just went that day. The part is $40ish?

Quick Reply: Temporary Power Window Failure