Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats the one im buying mrbill
Old 11-01-2007, 11:46 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

My reasoning for buying a high mile 993: 180K miles == I know what im getting myself into, I know I will probably spend 10-12 grand rebuilding the engine and tranny.

50K miles == car COULD or COULD NOT have been driven enough and heated properly when driving. Engine could need a rebuild anyway at 70 or 80K miles. In which case you have paid 30K for a car and another 8K for a decent top end rebuild.

I like to work on the car myself and after a fresh rebuild I KNOW exactly what the condition of the motor is. What I cannot predict however, is costs that will arise from age that arent motor/tranny related. These include Control Arms (bushings = replace whole arm) fuel filters, joints, bearings, I dont know how many other things can break, I suspect a lot. Thats the inherent risk of the high mile car.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:59 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Right, it looked pretty nice to me....

I'd say the best value is in 80 and 110K mile cars.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:07 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
Right, it looked pretty nice to me....

I'd say the best value is in 80 and 110K mile cars.
Nice car ..I remember when he bought it..when u buy low u can sell low...very good buy..go for it!
Old 11-02-2007, 12:57 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Well I may be buying low but I sure as hell wont be selling that low, especially when i put 12K into a rebuild session What else can go wrong with 200K mile cars other than engine/clutch/tranny?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:04 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Oshin11
Well I may be buying low but I sure as hell wont be selling that low, especially when i put 12K into a rebuild session What else can go wrong with 200K mile cars other than engine/clutch/tranny?
So let me get this straight: you're going to rebuild the engine in a 200K mile 993 and add how much value? I'm not sure the math works that way, especially when you're starting with an engine that burns less oil that some with 1/3 the mileage.

In a market as mileage sensitive as the 993 market, you buy high mile cars to drive and resell for a bit less that you paid for them, not to "restore" and somehow sell them for what a 70k mile car is worth.

You want to restore a 200k mile car, start with replacing every piece of rubber, ball joint and place where two parts move against each other in the car.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:07 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

What else can go wrong with 200K mile cars other than engine/clutch/tranny?
My experience with three 200K+ German cars is ... everything else.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:10 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys are gonna get in big trouble. Randy will be dealing with you. How dare you questiion the whats his name?............oshkin?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:28 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Might be in for a reallllllllllll rude awakening when no one is there when you're selling. Home garage "learner" rebuilds seldom add value. (Ask me how I know.....then again, it has led to a lifetime of 911 ownership, memories, and friends. Even a ladyfriend or two or three!)
Old 11-02-2007, 01:53 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Well if I can drive the car for 10 years and sell it for a 10 bucks I'll consider myself lucky I think a 993 is as high as ill go in the next 5-10 years. I wont buy a 996 and I sure as hell wont be buying a 997 as a PhD student. I think my salary doesnt even cover the montlhy payments haha. So to me, having a freshly rebuilt engine and tranny will leave me much more stress free than always thinking if my car will need a top end soon.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:56 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
My experience with three 200K+ German cars is ... everything else.
What is everything else? And as a DIY I would think most things would be easy if youre not working with the motor or tranny. Fluid flushes, brake pads/rotors, even control arms seem like not too difficult of DIY projects. I could see not being able to do leaky steering columns, and other giant projects myself....without lots of help and time atleast.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:47 AM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Oshin11 or ocean11 whatever your name is...
Maybe I didn't make myself clear.
What I wanted to share was that instead of spending long hours in the garage fixing whatever,
I would rather be driving our 993 up the coast and special places to savor and enjoy the moments on the ROAD.

Didn't you said that you're a student? When do you have time to study, if you're planning to spend so much time fixing your car?
Not really getting your logic but hey what the @#$, its free country-do what ever makes you happy! Right?
At least you picked the right car, 993!
Old 11-02-2007, 05:38 AM
Randy 1
Racer

Originally Posted by Phil
you guys are gonna get in big trouble. Randy will be dealing with you. How dare you questiion the whats his name?............oshkin?
Per Tina Turner: TWO GO IN, ONE COME OUT!!!!!

Oshin, now you're getting ridiculous. If you really think you're building value by buying a super-high mileage car, refurbing this beast, then selling it for profit...you're beginnning to sound like the underpants gnomes.

Step 1: Steal underpants
Step 2:
Step 3: PROFIT!!

Listen, if you're on a graduate student budget, there is no math (trust me) that gets you into a high maintenance relationship, be it carnal or Car-nal. I can appreciate that you're trying to do this on the cheap, but even that has its limits.

I was initially suspicious of Phil's motives, but in the end, experience wins the day. You are setting yourself up for not only failure, but our frustration in reading how much trouble your potential acquisition is. Honestly, stop trying to finance a Porsche with a student loan, finish graduate school, and THEN buy the car of your dreams. You'll be able to find plenty of unwitting undergraduates to sleep with without the hot car, trust me!
Old 11-02-2007, 06:04 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Its not about sleeping with the hot girls, I just like working on the car. I am not trying to make a profit but if I can get a loan that is low interest relative to the market, and I dont even have to start repaying it for another 5 years, why not take that opportunity? This summer I will have time to rebuild the engine, and I would plan on keeping this car for a long time. But if you really think I am setting myself up for a big disappointment I will reconsider.

Quick Reply: Looking for a High Miles and/or Low Price 993