Sponsored by:

Looking for a High Miles and/or Low Price 993

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 06:17 AM
Randy 1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oshin11
Its not about sleeping with the hot girls, I just like working on the car. I am not trying to make a profit but if I can get a loan that is low interest relative to the market, and I dont even have to start repaying it for another 5 years, why not take that opportunity? This summer I will have time to rebuild the engine, and I would plan on keeping this car for a long time. But if you really think I am setting myself up for a big disappointment I will reconsider.
I don't know what you're doing your post-graduate in, but if it's finance...

Whatever rate you're being charged, it's negative leverage.

Look at it this way. Assume you're into a 180K mi 993 for $21.5K, plus another $10K in fixes. Your "basis" in the car is $31.5K. Assuming you're in for your student loan at around 6.5%, you have to sell the car for $43K+ to BREAK EVEN at the end of 5 years.

If you think you can sell a car with ~200K mile car for well over $40K with a half-*** DIY engine rebuild, you're out of your mind.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:28 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Ok first of all im buying the car for around 18-19K, and I never expect to get out what I put in, I already know that from my 911. And I have said this multiple times but nobody listens, I do not plan on selling the car for another 5-10 years. I want to keep this car. I never said I want to break even or anything like that, so please don't attack me saying that I think im going to get big bucks out of buying a high mileage car and rebuilding it myself.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:37 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Well I may be buying low but I sure as hell wont be selling that low, especially when i put 12K into a rebuild session What else can go wrong with 200K mile cars other than engine/clutch/tranny?
I think this is what you said earlier that made everybody think you were going to try and sell at a profit.....
Old 11-02-2007, 08:45 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Ok first of all im buying the car for around 18-19K, and I never expect to get out what I put in, I already know that from my 911. And I have said this multiple times but nobody listens, I do not plan on selling the car for another 5-10 years. I want to keep this car. I never said I want to break even or anything like that, so please don't attack me saying that I think im going to get big bucks out of buying a high mileage car and rebuilding it myself.
I think you are making a big mistake, There is a lot of stuff to go wrong with a 12 year old 175k mile car... and all the parts are expensive. 3.4 rebuilds are not easy, and require expensive special tools. (tranny, a/c suspension, FI, window motors, power locks)

if you really want a deal go get a 964. thats where the real bargins are. almost the same as 993's. (check out the nice c4 cab on member to member),

again,(IMHO), cars in the 80k to 110k mile range are the bargins, (at $25-30k) if well maintained... they can go 175kmiles, not so sure a 175 mile car can go 250k miles...

End of the day, a rebuild 200k car, mildly restored is still worth 20k. unless its unique, or with a history.

also consider a 996, their prices, and the quality improvement of the 997 have hurt the 993 value and killed the 964 value (IMHO!).

also, I'd think the market will become softer in the next 2 years. in about 20 years from now, the 993's that survive, may find a new market value.. like the early cars have lately.

best of luck!
Old 11-02-2007, 11:06 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by f8vr993
Oshin11 or ocean11 whatever your name is...
Maybe I didn't make myself clear.
What I wanted to share was that instead of spending long hours in the garage fixing whatever,
I would rather be driving our 993 up the coast and special places to savor and enjoy the moments on the ROAD.

Didn't you said that you're a student? When do you have time to study, if you're planning to spend so much time fixing your car?
Not really getting your logic but hey what the @#$, its free country-do what ever makes you happy! Right?
At least you picked the right car, 993!
Maybe not for all of us. I took out a personal line of credit and law school student loan for no other purpose than seed money for buying up every 2.4/2.7/3.0/930 engine and 915 core I could find, and Porsche work paid for what my scholarship didn't cover. Ultimate home based business!

Rolled that into my down payment on one business........and I think almost 20 years later having gotten out of a depressed Phoenix taking nothing more than my 911 and personal tools from my shop, have rolled it up pretty well.

I don't agree that a 993 is where to start with heavy mechanicals, but it's 2007 not 1980......

And I'm merely glad my 993 starts so I can get to the shop, no pleasure or enjoyment from driving it in the early, dark AM!
Old 11-02-2007, 12:17 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Sure are lots of opinions here. So, I'll add another!

Having spoken with Oshin a couple days ago, I find what he is doing endearing and reminiscent of old-school Porsche fanatics. He wants to buy a car he can rebuild, for the pleasure of learning about the car. What a great opportunity! The 993 is the last of the Porsches that are worth rebuilding, and it's the last Porsche with which to tinker. THAT is a part of what Porsche ownership is about. Good going Oshin for keeping the Porsche spirit alive!

Kinda reminds me of what Princeton was doing.

Regarding what else can go wrong with a 200k mile car. There's LOTS of stuff. Example from the past month of parts I had to replace on my 145k mile car: front oil cooler got a hole in it ($400); engine cooling fan ($400) went out of balance, scarring the housing ($200), from a bad alternator bearing ($290). I didn't anticipate any of that going wrong.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Randy 1
Racer

Its not about sleeping with the hot girls, I just like working on the car. I am not trying to make a profit but if I can get a loan that is low interest relative to the market, and I dont even have to start repaying it for another 5 years, why not take that opportunity? This summer I will have time to rebuild the engine, and I would plan on keeping this car for a long time. But if you really think I am setting myself up for a big disappointment I will reconsider.
Quite aside from whether you'll be disappointed, I suppose this is one of the only ways you're going to find 100% financing on a 10 year old car with 200K on the clock. See, I'm trying to be even-handed here.

That said, do you really want to be paying $241 for the next 30 years on a car you can't repair?
Old 11-02-2007, 02:30 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Ah leave the poor kid alone....Keep your eyes open Oshin and good luck. Some of us old farts are just smarter with our 20/20 hindsight from never making mistakes.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

No, Randy is right, maybe I should stop being a dumb kid. I am supposed to be a responsible adult, I am 23, not 16. I shouldn't get ahead of myself. Maybe after my 911 sells I'll just go buy a Honda haha Or maybe I should think about a 80-100K mile car in the 25-26K $ range. Here's something I have a question on though, even if I buy a car that is worth 26K USD if I do the rebuild myself when the time comes, won't it be worth poop? At least thats the impression I am getting from all the advice.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

If you guys really think the 180K mile car is a bad idea......what about this one. I don't like the interior much but I can deal with it. The exterior color is nice but the paint job is bad and it has a rust spot for some reason (I know it was in New Jersey for a period of time if that helps). The car has 130K miles and had the valve guides done at 110K I believe. Dunno how good of a top end he had done with this valve guide work. Its a 96 993. Here are the pictures. Let me know what you think.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...e&conn_speed=1
Old 11-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I think you should use some of that future $10k in the purchase price. If you buy a car like mine, you don't have to tear down the engine. You can spend your wrench time cleaning, restoring, or modifying. No doubt that the general rule is: these cars are worth more with fewer miles, especially up to the 100k mile point when you lose many interested buyers.

As stated earlier, the sweet price spot on these cars is in the 80-120k mile cars.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

If you guys really think the 180K mile car is a bad idea......what about this one. I don't like the interior much but I can deal with it. The exterior color is nice but the paint job is bad and it has a rust spot for some reason (I know it was in New Jersey for a period of time if that helps). The car has 130K miles and had the valve guides done at 110K I believe. Dunno how good of a top end he had done with this valve guide work. Its a 96 993. Here are the pictures. Let me know what you think.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...e&conn_speed=1
Did the seller post those pics? If so, he/she is brutally honest.

That car looks pretty clean on the inside, but rough on the outside. I would pass at any reasonable price ($20k +).
Old 11-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Based on your situation, why not buy an SC, Carrera or 964 to rebuild? It'll be a lot cheaper to buy and to rebuild and you still get to enjoy the process...
Old 11-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not being a smart ***................

why not concentrate on selling your 911 first. I think @ 23k you are a bit overpriced. You want a 8-9 yr newer car, for less than you want for your 911?????

Once you have sold the 911....you will have cash in hand!!.......cash talks......offers walk.....get it?
Old 11-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

I have a Carrera 3.2, I am selling it for the 993, I want a 993, I cant stand 964s, I just dont like them. When I look at one I think "hmm looks like a 911 in the front and a 993 in the back, but not as good on both accounts" haha. Any opinions on the link to the blue 993?

Quick Reply: Looking for a High Miles and/or Low Price 993