Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not happy - someone dinged my rear panel!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:42 AM
DBYT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not happy - someone dinged my rear panel!!!!

Just when I have gotten the car to how I want it with the handful of tiny dents from the PO removed, last week someone in a parking garage left a scatch and dent in my rear panel above the wheel...from the location of the dent, it had to be an SUV.

Am seriously pissed that the **** swung open the door, dented the car and did not leave details etc. What is it with people nowadays? There seems to be very little respect for other people's property.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:24 AM
T Rip
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

The Aussie's have a saying, "Topple the tall poppy." When someone gets above the rest - too rich, too nice a car - some like bring them down. Too bad about the dent. Bummer.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:46 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Based upon my life experience to this point I'd say its not necessarily lack of "respect" but ingnorance of the value of nice cars or what it takes to fix, or apathetic about how important it is to you (and most of us here) to keep our 993's in nice condition. Then there are those who are just somewhat reckless and cause damage, realizing they have done so or not. And lastly those who are dishonest enough to cause some damage and do nothing because they know they'll get away with it at no cost to them. Unfortunately you and I are the ones who wind up having to part with the cash to fix it. Thats modern day society for you. Sorry about the damage.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:28 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, my heart goes out to you.

Call me paranoid, but today's society seems to NOT even give a $hit about anything EXCEPT themselves - and worse, they seem to harbor a jealous streak which manifests itself through feelings of general apathy.

The POS who dented your car saw your car when they were pulling in. Your car didn't just magically appear. They knew your car was not a Honda. They knew their door tends to swing wide but they didn't make any effort to 'control' the door as they opened it. When their door hit your car - their feelings/thoughts ranged from "tough **** ...if he can afford that ...he can afford to fix it..." to "...ha, ha, now I get to pass along a ding to match all the dents that my car has ...hey, I'm just sharing the 'wealth' ..chuckle..."

I'm the type of person who - in this instance - would put up a sign on the back window of my car ...words to the effect:

"To the person who dented my car last week and didn't leave a number -- now's your chance to redeem yourself..."

Gerry

(I might also mention, that, whenever I park my car -- I strategically place this small spy-cam so that it views as much of the outside as possible -- to catch such idiots.)
http://www.spyville.com/ic9102digita...urecamera.html
Old 10-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 148 Posts

To some people a car is just a means of transport to abuse and neglect. This is why I try not to leave my 993 out of my sight or parked around other humans.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:59 AM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

"Based upon my life experience to this point I'd say its not necessarily lack of "respect" but ignorance of the value of nice cars or what it takes to fix, or apathetic about how important it is to you (and most of us here) to keep our 993's in nice condition."

+1
Old 10-10-2007, 01:43 PM
p993enthusiast
Racer

Sorry to hear Darren. How bad is it? Will another trip to the paintless dent remover do the trick?

Alan
Old 10-10-2007, 01:43 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

DBYT,

Sorry about the incident... many people are simply careless and don't even realize that they left a mark, or that you might even care. In any event, get the ding fixed as quickly as possible... you need to not have this constant reminder, and its money well spent.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:15 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,971 Likes on 2,941 Posts

a schmuck in portland kicked in the door of my 1983 sc cabriolet while it was parked on the street overnight...nice neighborhood too...

in NYC my cousin's rangerover has an acid type substance poured on the hood when it was parked...tree hugger most likely

in parking lots i always park my car as far away fron anything that can move.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:37 PM
DBYT
Pro

The dent is like a paper cut...no big deal but bloody annoying! The paintless dent guy can only take out the dent but I doubt he can fix the scratched paintwork...the dent is also on the part of the rear panel that I always catch myself admiring...the lovely curve of the 993. Got to get it fix soon or it wll drive me nuts. I guess like most other parts of the world, the people that tend to drive SUVs and people movers (not to generalise ) here seem to be more careless when it comes to other cars etc. The carparks in HK are filled with exotic cars and the car park where the dent happened is filled with Ferraris and Porsches...I was just unlucky enough to park next to a numbnut.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could be all of the above but it just boils down to not respecting anothers property. they should of at least offered to pay to repair but that would be in a perfect world. bottom line if we want to keep our cars excellent we have to be a bit paranoid sorry to say but I know I am anytime I go out one eye is always on the car especially in NY. sorry to hear this but good luck.

Quick Reply: Not happy - someone dinged my rear panel!!!!