Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

I guess I won't be buying this car...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 12:19 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 510 Posts
Default I guess I won't be buying this car...

So I get a nice promotion 2 weeks ago with a substantial bump in pay etc. and decide to treat myself to a new Cayenne DD. I had been toying with the idea of getting a 993 for some time, but was also drawn to another Z06 and thought the Cayenne would suffice until our new house is done in the Spring and we know the final damage. Anyway, I love the Cayenne and have met some great P-car people at a local get-together. So, I decide that if the right 993 pops up I'll just go ahead and grab it.

Last night, I hit the classifieds here and see what appears to be a really nice 993 at a fair price. I email the fellow and ask for some details and a few pics. He sends a short response and a link to his Photobucket account. Nice car...it's a tip, which isn't my first choice but I can live with it, however it has gray guts and I would prefer black. I send him another email back and tell him so and that I will consider the car further.

My wife and I discuss the car on the way over to the home builder this afternoon and she says to go ahead and buy it! Gotta love a woman who gives the OK to buy 2 Porsches in 2 weeks I go back over the pics after dinner and it really appears to be a nice car...so why hasn't it sold since it's been for sale since June??? I send the seller the following email to see if there is something about the car that he feels is preventing it from selling or whether he just hasn't found the right buyer. I'm brutally honest when selling a car and would welcome questions like this...

Hi XXX,

Still considering your car and have a few questions. During the previous attempt to sell the car, did anyone have a PPI performed or view the car in person? If so, may I ask why they didn't buy the car? I know the market is a bit soft right now and the Tip turns off a number of buyers, but I am just wondering if there is something that I am not seeing in the pictures beyond those two points as it looks like a beautiful car?

Thanks,
Mark

His response:

Sorry Mark, I'm interested in serious buyers only.
XXX

WTF???? Everyone that I have been in contact with since joining Rennlist has been great and have left me with the impression that members watch out for one another and go the extra mile to help each other out. I know many others feel the same way and that's why we attempt to buy from other Rennlisters. However, this event has certainly proven that theory wrong! Now, there is no need for the seller to answer my question as to why the car has not sold...I think we all know the answer to that one!

Last edited by Onami; 09-09-2007 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:39 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think when he wrote serious he meant naive
Old 09-09-2007, 12:55 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 320 Posts

Annoying response. I'm sure he'd be fun to deal with as a seller.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:00 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Luis ( RONK) Polar Silver 993 C4S is for sale in Vancouver and its a really sweet car...
Old 09-09-2007, 01:07 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plenty of cars available. Walk away from this fool.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:10 AM
scat
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you are selling a car a big % of "buyers" are just flakes so I understand his approach.Why just ask for a ppi if you are interested and go from there.
You can negociate further on price based on ppi if you really want the car.
The seller is probably a nice guy but just got tired of calls/emails from people who taunt/low ball him without even knowing the car.
If you really like the car,and everything checks out I would give it another chance.Just my opinion of course.
Good luck!
Old 09-09-2007, 01:12 AM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 jnx ... what an *** ...
Old 09-09-2007, 02:52 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's what I'd send him back ...

Scott
Old 09-09-2007, 11:07 AM
RoadWarrior19
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Selling a car can be a PITA. Although the others may be right, I would not conclude that the seller is an a$$ based on that one line response alone. A serious buyer will want to talk to the seller at some point, not just exchange emails. Then maybe you find out if the seller is an a$$ or not or if he is just trying to avoid wasting time with what he perceives as a tire kicker.

My take is that since you are not excited about the interior or the tiptronic, keep looking. Even a good seller can't do anything about those things.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:28 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think when you said "Tip turns off..." and "soft market..." he probably got pissed and thought it was a negotiating technique. (Sigh....) the limits of email. No chance for inflection....
Old 09-09-2007, 11:28 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

His response isn't going to win him any prizes from Miss Manners, but then again I can understand why he'd find your emails annoying. First you tell him that you don't like the interior color or type of transmission in his car; then you basically ask him to tell you what kind of horror stories he's hiding about the car (or else it would have sold long ago, you presumptuously believe). If I was the seller, I wouldn't have sent such a terse message, but I very well might have sent you one saying the same thing but in more decorous language. My $.02.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Svaha
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please don't settle for a tip if it's not your first choice. The search is part of the fun, waiting for the right combo of options (color, tranny) will make having the car that much more special. Console yourself with the Cayenne until the right 993 becomes available.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses guys and I appreciate your thoughts. In my world, people buy from people and who I am buying from is just as important as what I am buying. As my wife says, there is always another car... Although this car was not my ideal color combo and I would prefer a manual, I have owned a number of collector cars and highly doubt that my next purchase would be my last. So, I just figured that this would be a good compromise for my first 993 and it would have the added bonus of being one that my wife could drive from time-to-time (she prefers an automatic).

As for the email comments, I agree that they don't always get the message across. However, anyone who is trying to sell a car will have to expect some level of communication to make the sale. I helped a friend sell a car on ebay this week and answered at least a dozen emails and then spent an hour and a half on the phone negotiating the deal. I got nothing for it and was happy to speak with the buyer who is just thrilled to finally have his dream car. If you don't like dealing with people when selling a car, you are best to use a broker and let them to the dirty work!

For anyone out there considering selling their 993...I would like to find a super clean, low mile (in the 20's - 30's), silver with black interior and a manual tranny - C2S or C4S only thanks
Old 09-09-2007, 12:22 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be surprised if you found a decently priced 993 in Canada (in comparison with the selection and pricing down south).
Old 09-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

I'm not even looking in Canada! I've imported lots of cars from the US and it's a piece of cake

Quick Reply: I guess I won't be buying this car...