Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:01 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Oh Yeah! I fixed my "immobilizer" problem

A little history......

My car has had no less than 4 immobilizers in its life. Only one was for a no start condition. In the other cases, the dealer replaced them due to the unit failing to go into program mode. Once it was under parts warranty. This was all by previous owner.....

Sure enough, when I purchased my car, it only had one remote so I bought a second one and attempted to program. I won't bore you with the details, but it would never go into program mode (begin to flash). I restore older cars and love DIY so I was a little disaapointed in myself.

Took it to Holberts (Dealer), they tried, hooked up their tools, the whole nine. Told me that the system needed to be diagnosed but it was likely a bad immobilizer. Took the car to Dougherty Automotive (great guys), they tried and failed as well.

So I bought a used immobilizer off EBAY (for $9.00) and hooked it up. It did the same thing as the old one. no flash!

My car must have a fluky ignition switch

THE SOLUTION-- When turning the ignition back (as per the program instructions), I turned only just enough to turn off the fanbelt light and then immediately back again. Anything more and the car failed to recognize it. I actually practiced the flick of the wrist and got it down pat before running through the sequence. I am talking about hairs difference and it won't work. For those of you with similar problems, TRY IT OUT AS I DESCRIBED.....

So now, I got two remotes for my everyday use and one extra immobilizer with a remote programed to match just in case my regular unit fails

It's a great day
Old 08-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 906 Likes on 545 Posts

I have 4 spare remotes for my similar trial and error. But I'm an expert now. And never paid the dealer for it.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
I have 4 spare remotes for my similar trial and error. But I'm an expert now. And never paid the dealer for it.
Funny thing is....this is not the first 993 I ever programmed. Had no trouble in the past. The ignition switch in my car has to be the difference.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:35 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Calling Cabrio993...here ya go..

Tks for heads up!
Old 08-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Wanna sell one????
I changed my batteries today in my remote. I have a LOT more range now, like 25-30 feet. My car came with two remotes, one was not working. I finally got around t putting a fresh battery in the second one, and it doesn't light up when I push the button. It seems to have some corrosion inside also. I assume it's toast. SO,
Wanna sell one????
Old 08-31-2007, 09:24 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Calling Cabrio993...here ya go..

Tks for heads up!
Wow...thanks Trinitony for pinting this out and Guy for posting it!

I'll give it a try. Maybe that's what mine has.

Have I already said that...I HATE DRIVE BLOCK???
Old 09-29-2007, 05:07 PM
geldgrube
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Guy
A little history......

My car has had no less than 4 immobilizers in its life. Only one was for a no start condition. In the other cases, the dealer replaced them due to the unit failing to go into program mode. Once it was under parts warranty. This was all by previous owner.....

Sure enough, when I purchased my car, it only had one remote so I bought a second one and attempted to program. I won't bore you with the details, but it would never go into program mode (begin to flash). I restore older cars and love DIY so I was a little disaapointed in myself.

Took it to Holberts (Dealer), they tried, hooked up their tools, the whole nine. Told me that the system needed to be diagnosed but it was likely a bad immobilizer. Took the car to Dougherty Automotive (great guys), they tried and failed as well.

So I bought a used immobilizer off EBAY (for $9.00) and hooked it up. It did the same thing as the old one. no flash!

My car must have a fluky ignition switch

THE SOLUTION-- When turning the ignition back (as per the program instructions), I turned only just enough to turn off the fanbelt light and then immediately back again. Anything more and the car failed to recognize it. I actually practiced the flick of the wrist and got it down pat before running through the sequence. I am talking about hairs difference and it won't work. For those of you with similar problems, TRY IT OUT AS I DESCRIBED.....

So now, I got two remotes for my everyday use and one extra immobilizer with a remote programed to match just in case my regular unit fails

It's a great day
Hi Guy,
any chance you want to sell your spare immobilizer? I'm in a situation where mine has been changed, I don't have the code and I only have one remote.
Thanks,
Ron
Old 09-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by geldgrube
Hi Guy,
any chance you want to sell your spare immobilizer? I'm in a situation where mine has been changed, I don't have the code and I only have one remote.
Thanks,
Ron
BTW, the code is stamped on top of the module .... 4 digits on lower right. If good with a mirror, check under the drivers seat - but double check 6's and 9's
Old 09-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Guy,
Thanks,
Ron
After hearing on the woes on this item and seeing my cars history, I think I would be better off holding onto my spare....sorry I could not be of more help

BTW, the code is stamped on top of the module .... 4 digits on lower right. If good with a mirror, check under the drivers seat - but double check 6's and 9's
I double checked both my units and neither have the code stamped or printed on them. Not saying that some don't....
Old 09-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"BTW, the code is stamped on top of the module .... 4 digits on lower right. "

Porsche NEVER stamped the code on the ECU. That's why it comes with a
removeable tag with the code number, otherwise if it were stamped ANYONE
could program their remote to the car, i.e. if stolen.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:40 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"BTW, the code is stamped on top of the module .... 4 digits on lower right. "

Loren,

Do you know if it is possible to disable the immobilizer system keeping the remote open/lock capability?
Old 09-30-2007, 08:41 PM
henkinc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been told that Steve Weiner can disable the immobilizer when he is repreogramming the fuel-ignition curve. However, I also recall that the remote door-locking system is also disabled in this modification.
Charlie
Old 09-30-2007, 09:27 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

.... or a thinking thief could even replace the very replacable module ... and have the joy of reprogramming remotes - but a 993 is worth it, likely even to a thief.

The Sr Tech of our local dealership very recently had a customers 993 ... sans keys, which had unfortunately been stolen: they contacted me, knowing that I had a spare imob. module ... hoping that it had the code attached as described. For some inexplicable reason, they seemed to believe that that number sequence to be important - and equivalent to the key programming code.
The story became longer and more complicated, but strangely enough, following that line of 'code', the car was successfully started. I can only assume that they worked with a different version of "NEVER".
Old 09-30-2007, 10:09 PM
geldgrube
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So Garth....
do you still have the "spare immobilizer" with the 4 digit code and if so, are you willing to part with it? I have checked my immobilizer upside down and sideways and I don't see a 4 digit coder stamped anywhere.
Ron
Old 10-01-2007, 08:47 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

So Garth....
do you still have the "spare immobilizer" with the 4 digit code and if so, are you willing to part with it? I have checked my immobilizer upside down and sideways and I don't see a 4 digit coder stamped anywhere.
Ron

Ron,
I zapped my module off to the dealer, as I was only 100Km away ( we are in a remote corner ... ) and they were in a jam. I will be there later this week and determine if my module was installed - all I know is that the car started.
It may be entirely correct that the code is not printed on the module as was stated; however, the dealer firmly indicated that the last 4 digits on the lower right of the paper label with 993 618 159 02 as the header .... were the initilization code.

Quick Reply: Oh Yeah! I fixed my "immobilizer" problem