Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

soliciting 2cts worth on clutch slave cylinder DIY...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default soliciting 2cts worth on clutch slave cylinder DIY...

...Calling all folks that have done this - and folks that would like to watch:

Is it doeable on regular jackstands? Must you lift both ends or just the rear? I had the car up on stands last weekend and decided that this job would TRULY sU*k on my back and I chickened out on the spot. (After I had just spent an hour on my back replacing the two shifter bushings under the car - nice shifter now:^)

What do shops normally charge for this? I called ASG here in Fairfax and I thought the guy was kidding when he said he would have to charge me MORE since I already had parts?!?!?

I think I can do this, but would really rather do it on a scissors lift - anybody got a scissors in N. VA and want to supervise me doing this???
Old 08-30-2007, 07:22 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Marlon,
I would highly recommend doing this with the car on four very secure jackstands. Access and safety is better this way. If we were more moved in, I'd say bring it over and we could do it in my shop. If I were to pull this stunt right now, my marriage would be in serious jeopardy.

BTW, I changed mine with the car on stands.

Andreas
Old 08-30-2007, 08:30 PM
pcar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that hard to do...However, there is a past post from Viper Bob where he explained about using a "spot" for a hand hold that makes pushing the clutch plunger back-in some what easier. I happened to find the post after some smashed hands. All and all I think I spent about two slow hrs. on it.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:05 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you take an extra 10 minutes to remove the left heater tube, you can get both hands up there and mount the slave in about a minute. Really makes all the difference, IMO.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:32 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Originally Posted by epj993
If you take an extra 10 minutes to remove the left heater tube, you can get both hands up there and mount the slave in about a minute. Really makes all the difference, IMO.

cool - I may try again using all suggestions. I've looked at the DIY's and this one seems like a real pain...
Old 08-30-2007, 09:44 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Yes, remove the heater tube and its OK. You really have to push on the body to fight the spring action so that enough threads from the studs are exposed to put the nuts on. That is the trick ; you are holding the slave in one hand pressing it up and the other hand has a washer and nut ; you have to place the washer, then the nut all by feel since you can't see anything.

OK, time to brag. Every since I got the two post lift this is nice and easy. Its amazing how different the experience is when you can either stand upright or sit on a mobile stool whle wrapping your hands around to the top of the transmission. Regardless removing the heater tube and getting into the correct position makes it easy. You also need to be comfortable when bleeding the system since you have to reach wayyy up to the bleed nipple. Run some clear tubing off the nipple into a glass jar, have someone in the car and pump away. Watch to make sure you don't run the fluid down.

Oh, here is what I used to do for safety when I was using jacks/stands. I would have the car up on jackstands, put another set next to them as well as have my large reach jacks at each end of the car with a tiny bit of lift pressure on them. Its a redundant system, you have to make sure that you have something that can support the car backing up the jackstands. Then you can lie under the car in comfort. With a two post lift is similar in that you only go under the car when its in a resting position on one if its locks. This way if the lock fails the cylinders will tension and catch the weight (or at least that is the theory).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-30-2007, 10:07 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike J
Yes, remove the heater tube and its OK. You really have to push on the body to fight the spring action so that enough threads from the studs are exposed to put the nuts on. That is the trick ; you are holding the slave in one hand pressing it up and the other hand has a washer and nut ; you have to place the washer, then the nut all by feel since you can't see anything.

OK, time to brag. Every since I got the two post lift this is nice and easy. Its amazing how different the experience is when you can either stand upright or sit on a mobile stool whle wrapping your hands around to the top of the transmission. Regardless removing the heater tube and getting into the correct position makes it easy. You also need to be comfortable when bleeding the system since you have to reach wayyy up to the bleed nipple. Run some clear tubing off the nipple into a glass jar, have someone in the car and pump away. Watch to make sure you don't run the fluid down.

Oh, here is what I used to do for safety when I was using jacks/stands. I would have the car up on jackstands, put another set next to them as well as have my large reach jacks at each end of the car with a tiny bit of lift pressure on them. Its a redundant system, you have to make sure that you have something that can support the car backing up the jackstands. Then you can lie under the car in comfort. With a two post lift is similar in that you only go under the car when its in a resting position on one if its locks. This way if the lock fails the cylinders will tension and catch the weight (or at least that is the theory).

Cheers,

Mike
Mike thanks - I usually use the teeny bit of lift on another jack or two when I've got the car on stands. (It's really kind of scary with one of our 5Klb Ranger Rovers on heavy duty stands!!!) But -yes, this job would not be bad with car on a real lift. For bleeding I have an EZ-Bleed (tm) system that I bought many years ago. It hooks up to the drivers side tire (at 21) psi and bleeds the brakes and replaces fluid - presto-chango/licketty-split.
Maybe I'll get up the nerve to do it this weekend if I don;t start on the finish. I want to replace the short hose too
Old 08-30-2007, 10:09 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Marlon,
I would highly recommend doing this with the car on four very secure jackstands. Access and safety is better this way. If we were more moved in, I'd say bring it over and we could do it in my shop. If I were to pull this stunt right now, my marriage would be in serious jeopardy.

BTW, I changed mine with the car on stands.

Andreas

Andreas - thanks for the offer! I still want to tackle the struts/shocks and front LCA's though! Think we could get through all that in a day???
Old 08-30-2007, 11:34 PM
dmw
Instructor

Default +1 on the heater tube

Makes it MUCH easier.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:33 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Default not to change the thread direction, but...

Originally Posted by dmw
Makes it MUCH easier.
It appears that you are running the 16"s in your happy snap! Sort of like these or not???
Attached Images  

Last edited by Marlon; 08-31-2007 at 07:35 AM. Reason: text accuracy
Old 08-31-2007, 09:36 AM
dmw
Instructor

LOL! Exactly like those. Old school, baby!

Actually, I have 18 twists in the attic but I am running the rubber off these first.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:05 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Originally Posted by dmw
LOL! Exactly like those. Old school, baby!

Actually, I have 18 twists in the attic but I am running the rubber off these first.
That's kind of EXACTLY what I am doing. 18" solid Porsche twists with 90% P-zero Asyms in the garage. I love the handling of the Asyms & twists and ride quality of these LOL
Old 08-31-2007, 11:31 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon
I think I can do this, but would really rather do it on a scissors lift - anybody got a scissors in N. VA and want to supervise me doing this???
I don't think I would want to try this on my scissor lift, too much of the lift hardware in the way. You would be better off doing this on a 4 post lift or jackstands on the floor. I found it easier to slide under the car from the passenger side and reaching up and around from that side.

YMMV
Old 08-31-2007, 11:59 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I don't think I would want to try this on my scissor lift, too much of the lift hardware in the way. You would be better off doing this on a 4 post lift or jackstands on the floor. I found it easier to slide under the car from the passenger side and reaching up and around from that side.

YMMV
I gotta' get this one done - I think this weekend is it.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:23 PM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon
... I had the car up on stands last weekend and decided that this job would TRULY sU*k on my back and I chickened out on the spot. anybody got a scissors in N. VA and want to supervise me doing this???
Marlon: Those are my thoughts exactly and I have been procrastinating over 6 months - staring blankly at the parts and chickening out

MikeJ - I am going to need Dr J's help along with his lift soon as my Slave Cylinder is really making a racket and sometimes sluggish on the return.

Quick Reply: soliciting 2cts worth on clutch slave cylinder DIY...