Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

soliciting 2cts worth on clutch slave cylinder DIY...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 10:35 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SR71BLACKBIRD
MikeJ - I am going to need Dr J's help along with his lift soon as my Slave Cylinder is really making a racket and sometimes sluggish on the return.
No problem just know when and we can work something out. I might even be able to rustle a spot to sleep so you can just come up, we can do the work, you stay overnight and go home again. Its also certainly possible to do the round trip in one day as well although the cost of the fuel would pay for a mechanic ??

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-31-2007, 10:38 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did it on jackstands no problem. Get the car up high. Didn't take off the heater tube. Skinny arms, much twisting, grunting and swearing. I recall twisting around so one hand could press in the slave and the other started the first bolt.

I usually throw the tires under the body for added security.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:44 PM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Thanks Dr J.

I normally come up to Vancouver a couple of times a month to visit my folks and do some business so I have a place to stay but thanks for hospitality offer - Man-you are definitely an ambassador of the Rennlist spirit.

I will call you when I come up to see if you have time for me. Thanks again Dr J.

Scott
Old 09-01-2007, 04:30 PM
hyphenf15
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody know if the process for bleeding the clutch system is different on a C4. I have the ABS and brake accumilator/reservoir issue to overcome. I know that the brakes cannot be bled without opening the ABS circuit. Does the same issue apply to the clutch? My pedal feels heavy and full of grit. I think I must bleed the system first and then see if I need new parts. Many thanks.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by hyphenf15
Does anybody know if the process for bleeding the clutch system is different on a C4. I have the ABS and brake accumilator/reservoir issue to overcome. I know that the brakes cannot be bled without opening the ABS circuit. Does the same issue apply to the clutch? My pedal feels heavy and full of grit. I think I must bleed the system first and then see if I need new parts. Many thanks.
I have bled a few C4's (in fact more than C2's...must be the rain) and there is nothing special to do. If I have removed the slave I find it easier to have someone pump the pedal than bleed the other way but that is just me...both methods are fine since the clutch seals are used to running the entire length of the barrel in the master cylinder.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-01-2007, 11:45 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SR71BLACKBIRD
Hey Thanks Dr J.

I normally come up to Vancouver a couple of times a month to visit my folks and do some business so I have a place to stay but thanks for hospitality offer - Man-you are definitely an ambassador of the Rennlist spirit.

I will call you when I come up to see if you have time for me. Thanks again Dr J.

Scott
Give me a few days notice and that will help a lot. As well, "Dr. J's" garage is now a hang out spot for several Rennlisters here in Vancouver so I am sure there would be others to BS with as well.

If you order parts don't forget to get some brake fluid ; this might also be an opportunity to do a complete flush (brakes, clutch) if it needs it.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
If I have removed the slave I find it easier to have someone pump the pedal than bleed the other way but that is just me.
I know you are not recommending it, but to be clear, never bleed the slave until it is attached to the tranny.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:39 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Oooops, I guess I should have mentioned it...it's not nice to have the piston pop off the end of the slave and get brake fluid all over the place, nevermind putting the slave back together again. Thanks!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-02-2007, 02:10 PM
hyphenf15
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GREAT....thanks for the info! Sounds like I can just loosen the bleed nut at the tranny and have someone pump the clutch to bleed the entire system. Just need to stop every once and a while to check/add to the fluid level in the brake reservoir. Nice to hear that it should be relatively easy to accomplish.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:41 PM
quasr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slave and Master Cylinder Replacement Labor Cost

Just to give you a go-by, I recently decided to have the dealership replace the slave and master cylinder in my 993. I already had the parts and labor cost was $400.00+. Though it saved me quite a bit of aggravation, that is a lot of beer!

Quick Reply: soliciting 2cts worth on clutch slave cylinder DIY...