Sponsored by:

Why is my clutch fluid so filthy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Why is my clutch fluid so filthy?

Or at least, why is it soooo much worse than that which came out of my brakes? I flushed everything today. ATE Blue was one year and about 5k miles old. Slave cylinder is two years old, but I always flush the clutch when I do the brakes. What came out of there today looked like used motor oil with a hint of blue. Why is it so bad?
Old 08-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Rick:

LOL,..You see the result of absorbed moisture and why the clutch hydraulics should be flushed at least annually, depending on climate.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I should clarify that the actual slave cyl. is two yrs. old, but the fluid was only one yr. old. Looks like I'll be doing this again in a few mos. I can't sleep at night knowing it looks like that.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:07 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Rick,
When I first flushed the slave cylinder, the crap that came out looked like ink. I am convinced that the fluid was original at almost 11 years old and 34,000 miles. Of course the flushing caused the slave seals to go bad which meant a new slave & hose, and yet another flush. Nearly two years later and the pedal action is still butter smooth.

I guess I should add that to my list for this winter!

Andreas
Old 08-13-2007, 12:26 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
What came out of there today looked like used motor oil with a hint of blue. Why is it so bad?
When you replaced the slave cylinder did you also replace the soft line? I've noticed that it only takes a few days (even without driving and separate to the normal moisture problems) for the soft rubber hydraulic clutch line to leech into the fluid and turn it black.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:14 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't believe that soft rubber line was replaced. Is that something for which there's a stainless steel version?
Old 08-13-2007, 10:18 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Rick,
A stainless-jacketed line would typically still have a rubber lining - although a few companies are now lining the insides with Teflon, etc.

When I went through my brake line replacement ordeal, the one company that was able to make the correct lines for me was Crown Performance in California. I bet you could send them your old rubber line and have them fashion a new one in stainless with the correct ends.

Andreas
Old 08-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Andreas - here's a question: since teflon/stainless brake lines tend to firm up the brake pedal, wonder what would happen to the clutch pedal 'feel' with a less flexible soft line???
Old 08-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
When you replaced the slave cylinder did you also replace the soft line? I've noticed that it only takes a few days (even without driving and separate to the normal moisture problems) for the soft rubber hydraulic clutch line to leech into the fluid and turn it black.
Could be .... but I had assumed that the rubber clutch hose was made of the same spec elastomer as the 4 brake hoses .... and they do not leach black if bled annually.
The clutch circuit on my '80 928 still bleeds the same light amber discolouration as the brake lines; however, my 993, an '86.5 928, and a 3.2 carrera I've done in recent weeks all bled filthy black from the clutch line. I'm sure that the latter two had never been touched in years .... and suspect the same of my C4S - which was delivered with a "fresh brake fluid change"
Old 08-13-2007, 12:26 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marlon
Andreas - here's a question: since teflon/stainless brake lines tend to firm up the brake pedal, wonder what would happen to the clutch pedal 'feel' with a less flexible soft line???
I think the 'firmness' felt at the brake pedal after installing SS lines comes from the pressure you are trying to exert once the pads have made contact (the stainless jacket is not allowing outward flexing of the hose).

In the clutch circuit, you are merely pushing fluid with the clutch master to the clutch slave - but are only pushing as far as the pedal board stop allows. I would doubt any noticeable difference.

Andreas
Old 08-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Good info guys. I know what I'll be doing tonight...
Old 08-14-2007, 01:24 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Garth S
Could be .... but I had assumed that the rubber clutch hose was made of the same spec elastomer as the 4 brake hoses .... and they do not leach black if bled annually.
I only noticed it with a brand new soft line. The line and the fluid were replaced and then the system was bled again after sitting for a few days. The fluid that came out went from blue to black to blue.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:28 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Mine wasn't that dirty. Must have been done by the PO before I bought the car.

Quick Reply: Why is my clutch fluid so filthy?