Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bruce Anderson

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 11:15 AM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Falcon - you are exactly the type of person he and Excellence need to hear from...
Old 07-19-2007, 11:16 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone who claims to be in touch with the used Porsche market and lists those prices for a 98 Carrera S is, for lack of a better word, retarded. I don't understand how such an ignoramus has any clout in the Porsche community. (His writing is crap too, btw)
Old 07-19-2007, 11:21 AM
bill d cat
Feral Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Could an insurance company cite Excellence trying to lowball a claim?
I'd think the insurance company would be more likely to cite KBB or the auction "Black Book".

KBB prices look to be about $10k below Anderson's estimates.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:31 AM
stubenhocker
Racer

I think this is similar to evaluating a stock or security. The book value of the share might be $25.00, but the market values the stock at $45.00. What we have at the moment is a sellers market for these cars, Blue Book and others also don't agree on these current prices. The value of these cars will fluctuate with the underlying economy, if we have a economic downturn the prices will plummet. There is a tremendous amount of speculation and emotion built in to the current market, this will change.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:37 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have to ask: WHERE IS THE DATA COMING FROM? Does Blue Book just make up numbers? I thought they had hard research data? Maybe everyone who buys a C2S lowballs the reported transaction price to save tax?
Old 07-19-2007, 11:40 AM
DaveM993
Drifting

Originally Posted by stubenhocker
I think this is similar to evaluating a stock or security. The book value of the share might be $25.00, but the market values the stock at $45.00. What we have at the moment is a sellers market for these cars, Blue Book and others also don't agree on these current prices. The value of these cars will fluctuate with the underlying economy, if we have a economic downturn the prices will plummet. There is a tremendous amount of speculation and emotion built in to the current market, this will change.
I disagree - speculation infers that it is being looked at as an investment, I do not believe this to be the case for the 993. The demand for the 993 has increased because of its desirability relative to its brethren...IMHO. The values of the early 996s are going down as a result. I do not believe this will change especially since the 997 takes many of its external design cues from the 993 and not the 996. Someday the uniqueness of the 996 look may become desirable as the only 911 without round headlights...but that, of course is pure speculation.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by stubenhocker
There is a tremendous amount of speculation and emotion built in to the current market, this will change.
I would respectfully disagree with this. I don't know anyone who has a 993 because of speculation on future values.
I wasn't going to mention it, but in the current issue's 986-996 section, he says we are in a down economy. I guess he never took economics either.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
Anyone who claims to be in touch with the used Porsche market and lists those prices for a 98 Carrera S is, for lack of a better word, retarded. I don't understand how such an ignoramus has any clout in the Porsche community. (His writing is crap too, btw)
I am not sure if you have met Bruce but I have attended his engine rebuilding class as well as talked to him at numerous times. He is more of a historian than a pure technition (Gerry Woods teaches the rebuilding course ; Bruce teaches the history and evolution of the engine during the course) but he does know his stuff. I know his numbers are out but that is not his strong point ; his historical knowledge of the 911 evolution is very good. I certainly would not label him a "ignoramus" especially in the 911 world.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-19-2007, 12:28 PM
bill d cat
Feral Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Does Blue Book just make up numbers?
No, but the condition of auctioned cars is more likely to resemble that nightmarish blue C4 thing in New Jersey that was described some threads ago. These cars are about 10 years old on average, so plenty of horrors must exist.

The kind of car that I'm interested in buying would be condition "excellent", "excellent plus" or "excellent plus with low miles". I don't expect to find something for $20,000.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:37 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mike J
I am not sure if you have met Bruce but I have attended his engine rebuilding class as well as talked to him at numerous times. He is more of a historian than a pure technition (Gerry Woods teaches the rebuilding course ; Bruce teaches the history and evolution of the engine during the course) but he does know his stuff. I know his numbers are out but that is not his strong point ; his historical knowledge of the 911 evolution is very good. I certainly would not label him a "ignoramus" especially in the 911 world.

Cheers,

Mike
I agree, ignoramus is not a fair label for Bruce - however, he's had a little too much Porsche kool-aid imho.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:02 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
I would respectfully disagree with this. I don't know anyone who has a 993 because of speculation on future values.
I wasn't going to mention it, but in the current issue's 986-996 section, he says we are in a down economy. I guess he never took economics either.
Another excellent observation. I was literally FLOORED when I read that we are in a down economy! We are in the hottest economy in nearly 10 years. Unemployment is at record lows, stock market setting new records daily, inflation in check and wages very strong. Only the foreign exchange is suffering right now. Yet, even with the dollar at record lows, you can't buy a Porsche for less money anywhere in Europe than you can here in the U.S.

Bruce - What economy are you referring to?

MC
Old 07-19-2007, 01:04 PM
gr8nine93
Instructor

if you have read a recent appraisal the Bruce did on mid year 911s he clearly states and I quote as is quoted above---"buy the newest Porsche you can afford...". That is plain silly. Who would pay $30k for a 99 996 when you can get a decent 95 993 for a little more than that. An aquaintance from PCA knew I was looking for a silver C2 and offered me his very low miles 99 996 for $30k. I opted for a 95 993 with twice the miles. He has nev er given my car as much as a glance continuing to extole the virtures of stability control etc and the roomier interior. Wow a whole one half inch more. This is my sixth Porsche and I swore I would never get anything newer than an 89 cause I did not like the skinny butt of the 996s ---and then I saw a 993. Once I drove it I was hooked.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:11 PM
gr8nine93
Instructor

I will wade in one last time. I complained bitterly abolut some of BA's opinions to a close friend of his. He finally said "Hey the guy is in his 80s. WHat do you expect?"
Old 07-19-2007, 01:17 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
I agree, ignoramus is not a fair label for Bruce - however, he's had a little too much Porsche kool-aid imho.
Actually, I think for somebody who claims authority on an issue they clearly know nothing about (993 prices), ignoramus is probably a fair label. "Fool" might be better.

I noticed his prices are close to KBB for Good condition. That should have tipped him off that his values are way too low, because everyone knows KBB is way too low on any porsche 911.

Hey Bruce, in case you're reading, here are all the 1998 C2S cars currently on Autotrader:

Miles / Price
----- / -------
20k $64k
39k $60k
22k $60k
26k $60k
31k $58k
42k $57k
30k $63k
71k $45k
55k $46k

Average = $57,000
Old 07-19-2007, 01:42 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 133 Posts

Wow, give the guy a break. This is not directed at anyone in particular, but the tone of this thread is not in the spirit of the Rennlist community.

I too attended his and Jerry's engine overhaul class and found him to be an amazing wealth of information about Porsches. He is a stand-up guy who has answered many, many of my questions over more than 20 years. His opinion in Excellence is just that- his opinion. Take it or leave it. I for one do not agree with his valuations, but I greatly value his historical perspective and his technical knowledge of the earlier cars.

It is one thing to disagree with his opinions, it is another to disparage a guy who has shared a wealth of information with the Porsche world.

If you are so enamored (or concerned) with values, you shouldn't own a 993, let alone a Porsche.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Quick Reply: Bruce Anderson