Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Cool Here you go...from his site

Bruce Anderson
P. O. Box 775
Plymouth, CA 95669

Phone/Fax: 209.245.6356

The price of anything is always what a willing buyer and willing seller agree to. You can list your car for whatever you want and hold out for your price.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:15 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The asking price and the offer to buy are both subjective, of course, but as a writer of reports of the actual prices, though, Mr. Anderson's info should be an objective reflection of what the market is actually seeing, and that should take no subjectivity to write.

I have been an Excellence reader for years, as many others here have also been, and it is clear his info is universally not reflective of what we are all seeing, as sellers and buyers.

When you get both buyers AND sellers complaining that the prices are not accurate, you know those are not representative of the real world prices, and that the prices are too low.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:47 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred, Long Island
Gents:
Why the piling on? What difference does an arbitrary number in some magazine make? You'd think that Bruce was assaulting your manhood. Are you all not content with your ownership of the car regardless of price? Is there some great fear of having paid too much lurking within your garage?
I'm always amused when a post here reaches four pages in a few short days. Sadly, it is rarely a true technical issue that generates such interest....unless it's the great undertray mystery which in itself is a commentary.
Maybe I'll start a thread on the origin of the Undertray issue. I'll bet we can blame him for that too.
au contraire...

I would make the same statement if the discrepancy was in the other direction by the same amount also. My understanding is that Bruce is a great guy, knows Porsches better than anybody BUT publishes info in a widely read magazine that does not comport with reality. If I have said anything that is factually incorrect let me know. If the numbers are not meant to be meaningful in some way...why publish them at all????
Old 07-21-2007, 04:02 PM
Pete
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been a long-time subscriber to Excellence and Hemmings Motor News as well as having followed Pelican, eBay, AutoTrader, dealer sites, etc classified ads for years before finding the 993 I was looking for last fall. My opinion agrees with most of what has been expressed here re Bruce Anderson and his estimates when it comes to 2S and 4S cars...there are flat out not enough of these models that exist, much less that change hands, to make any reliable market estimates. I don't know why he even tries with these, '89 Speedsters, and other limited production models. When it comes to regular Carreras (I know fellas, there's no such thing as a "regular" Carrera) I've found his estimates to be pretty consistent with what I see in Hemmings and dealers' asking prices here in the Midwest. That's another big factor that he leaves out, the location. As far as how he estimates to the nearest dollar, that's pretty stupid too but I'm sure he makes some kind of plots of data, like price versus model year/age and he probably fits a curve to his data plots and then reads an amount off the curve.

Pete
Old 07-21-2007, 05:22 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder whether or not his statistical sampling is enough to get an accurate market picture...probably not...

I'm also curious about his data sources...
Old 07-21-2007, 11:02 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just watched the $9.00 "Porsche" DVD that I bought thru this Forum last week. Bruce Anderson was on it and had good things to say about the 993. BTW: best nine dollar DVD I ever watched:^)
Old 07-22-2007, 01:42 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

OK, this is where it gets really weird. I looked at the November, 06 issue on "How to buy a great 993" because I was going to see what I thought about Pete's statement above on "regular" Carreras. Well, here's the bad news: in a reader sales report he says the 1998 C2S is worth a low of 29466, good is 33503 and excellent is 44850. So, I'm sorry report to all you C2S owners that your car has lost between $6000-$9000 of value in the last 9 months. You'd better sell now before they are down in '97 Boxter territory.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:24 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm scared now.....
Old 07-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Cool No worries C2S and C45S owners (and others)...

...there are limited edition cars, and for the 1998 cars, the last of the breed. Set you price and hold out for it...you'll get it. Other cars that are in this category in my opinion:

87 to 89 Carrera, folks just love the G50 tranny and the hydraulic clutch,
Any later model 911 "Speedster" look car,
RS America
87 Carrera Club Sport
964 Cup Car aka in Europe the 964 RS car
Any Turbo look cars
89 944 Turbo S cars
89 Turbo with the 5 speed
80 Weissach Edition cars
993 Carrera S
993 Carrera 4S cars
2002 - 2004 Carrera 4S cars
2004 Anniversary Edition with X51 package (I think it was 2004?). It came with the 911 badge on the tail.

I am certain there are others...this spill out readily.

Quick Reply: Bruce Anderson