993 Forum 1995-1998

Readiness codes - How to read?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 01:30 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Readiness codes - How to read?

My battery just died and of course my 993 is ready for its annual inspection. This happened once before and was a nightmare to get the system "ready." I'd like to take the car to Autozone to see whether the readiness codes have been cleared or whether the system is "ready." Does anyone one know what codes should appear on the ODB reader or whether I should tell the tech to look for any specific codes? Thanks for the help.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:20 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The autozone guys won't be able to read ready codes with the actron readers. You need to go to an inspection station so they can read them thru their emissions machine. They should be able to read the codes without running a full test (and having to charge for one).
Old 07-14-2007, 04:45 PM
ilopper
Track Day

I think it depends on where you go and what reader they have. Most of the decent OBD-II readers will read the readiness codes. My local autozone was able to, and my Innova 3100 can too (after I figured out i have to press the immobilizer button first and then read the codes.)
Old 07-15-2007, 08:22 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

Thanks for the responses. ilopper, do you recall what code numbers displayed for the readiness codes?

993in NC
The inspection center I usually go to was unwilling to check the codes unless they inspected the vehicle (I don't blame them). I would have them just inspect it but then I would not be able to take it to a very distant Porsche dealer I know is able to reset the readiness codes (first inspection station has to complete the follow up inspection).

Originally Posted by ilopper
I think it depends on where you go and what reader they have. Most of the decent OBD-II readers will read the readiness codes. My local autozone was able to, and my Innova 3100 can too (after I figured out i have to press the immobilizer button first and then read the codes.)
Old 07-15-2007, 09:23 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Originally Posted by ilopper
You're confusing two different readings. The various OBD readers read only fault codes not "readiness" states. Ready codes need to be read by an inspection station and tell whether or not the various systems that make up the OBD system have run their test sequence and are "ready" to read a fault again. There is a reset sequence to getting them set, which I personally have never been able to get to work. Instead I just do a long drive (constant) at about 80 mph and it sets them all again. The suggested way always throws my CEL, I have the SAI problem, but can get by the codes when I try Which reminds me.....its inspection time again, guess I need to go for a drive
Old 07-15-2007, 10:49 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently went throught this. I bought the Innova, the one that does the live data and I could not find where the rediness codes were set. All I saw were the different lights on the top showing amber after I cleared a fault code. There is a main light that shows if all the codes are set to pass emissions.

I had to drive about 700 miles before the computer came on-line. There is a doc on this board for how to set the codes but I think you need a Bosch Hammer to watch them clear and a steady throttle foot.

I drove up and down my street staying between 2100 rpm and just under 3000 rpm and nothing. Just drive. It seems the trick is to stay under 3000 rpm for a while, that is the range the codes are set in.

I too was in the same boad as you, I emmision testing was way past due, but I got it set before it became a real problem.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:54 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi jw97c2s,
Don't be SO quick to judge. Just because your battery went dead (i.e. no interior light, no cranking amps to start the car, etc.) - - there may have been, actually, enough *voltage* left to keep the memory, in the car's computer, 'alive and kicking'.
I've had this happen to me.
BEFORE you assume that everything is kaput - put the battery on charge for a good 24 hrs. - and let it come up to full capacity. Then start the car and go for a short run JUST to make sure everything is copasetic. If you can - time the DAY of your 'run' so that you pass by a local autozone or buddy with a half-decent code-scanner/reader.
A half decent scanner will show (when you select e.g. "I/M readiness") whether or not all or some of the 'readiness monitors' are 'set'.
A half decent scanner will have yet another (totally separate) menu feature that will show whether the CEL is ON and because of what code(s).
A half decent scanner will have yet another (totally separate) menu feature that will show if any - what are termed - PENDING codes, have been stored.
Summary: get the OBD-ii system on your car properly scanned and don't be jumping to any conclusions (just yet).
Gerry
Old 07-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
You're confusing two different readings. The various OBD readers read only fault codes not "readiness" states. Ready codes need to be read by an inspection station and tell whether or not the various systems that make up the OBD system have run their test sequence and are "ready" to read a fault again. There is a reset sequence to getting them set, which I personally have never been able to get to work. Instead I just do a long drive (constant) at about 80 mph and it sets them all again. The suggested way always throws my CEL, I have the SAI problem, but can get by the codes when I try Which reminds me.....its inspection time again, guess I need to go for a drive
I don't think this is quite true, I have a Innova (?) hand held scanner and the "readiness indicators" show up as little black ***** w/ a 2 letter code inside for which sensor it relates too. I have NOT hooked it up to the 993 (maybe I will today) but it did work on a BMW.

As for the drive cycle, another RL'er has this BMW process that worked for me.
http://srlx.com/p-car/obdii_readiness.pdf

I also have an AutoEnginuity (PC S/W setup) but I have not been able to figure out how to get it to read RI's yet.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:42 PM
993inNC
Race Car

I have the A.E. program and also have never figured out if it shows the read codes. My point to lopper was there is a difference between a ready code and a trouble code (SAI, faulty O2's, cat problems etc...). Ready codes mean that all the systems have run thru their test cycles and are ready to read any problems which are shown as trouble codes.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:51 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a cheap OBDII reader from Harborfreight - its on sale again for $39.99
It reads the codes and also the readiness states and can erase faults.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94169
Old 07-15-2007, 07:05 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a very inexpensive OBD reader that connects to my laptop. My reader just shows the current state of the relevant readiness codes; either green for ok(ready) or red(not ok, not ready) As far as I know there are no numerical codes numbers associated with the readiness codes. Relevant, labelled readiness codes include "Evaporative System", "Catalyst", "Secondary Air System", O2 Sensor", "O2 Sensor Heater". I'd post a screenshot of my reader's screen if I could figure out how to attach a picture. My software checks 9 readiness codes; it does NOT check the AC system code, whatever that is.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:11 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

Thanks for all the great info guys! This thread should be referenced whenever a readiness code problem exists.

g-murray
I took your advice and attached a charger yesterday. I think my battery needs replacement but I'll wait until I check the readiness codes. I'll let you know what happens.

Amfab
Thanks, I'll pick up one of those code readers to do the test.

Thanks again everyone.

Originally Posted by g_murray
Hi jw97c2s,
Don't be SO quick to judge. Just because your battery went dead (i.e. no interior light, no cranking amps to start the car, etc.) - - there may have been, actually, enough *voltage* left to keep the memory, in the car's computer, 'alive and kicking'.
I've had this happen to me.
BEFORE you assume that everything is kaput - put the battery on charge for a good 24 hrs. - and let it come up to full capacity. Then start the car and go for a short run JUST to make sure everything is copasetic. If you can - time the DAY of your 'run' so that you pass by a local autozone or buddy with a half-decent code-scanner/reader.
A half decent scanner will show (when you select e.g. "I/M readiness") whether or not all or some of the 'readiness monitors' are 'set'.
A half decent scanner will have yet another (totally separate) menu feature that will show whether the CEL is ON and because of what code(s).
A half decent scanner will have yet another (totally separate) menu feature that will show if any - what are termed - PENDING codes, have been stored.
Summary: get the OBD-ii system on your car properly scanned and don't be jumping to any conclusions (just yet).
Gerry
Old 07-16-2007, 11:48 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Amfab
I bought a cheap OBDII reader from Harborfreight - its on sale again for $39.99
It reads the codes and also the readiness states and can erase faults.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94169
I have the same one, works like a charm.

Quick Reply: Readiness codes - How to read?