Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 189 Posts
Default The expected BIG service bill

My car went in for the full once over. Here is the list of items:
60k Service $1465
Chain tensioner leak and cam cover leak $3175.00
Program new remote $75.00

They suggested replacing clutch and flushing SAI ports while engine is out but have yet to tell me what that will run. The flush should be cheap since the engine is out.

They gave brakes, steering and suspension a clean bill and stated that there are a lot of new parts recently put on the car (struts, rotors etc)

What do you think about these prices?
Old 07-12-2007, 06:23 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Why would they need to take the engine out for? Chain tensioner leak? I believe that some have replaced the seal without droping the engine. The main issue is the AC bracket that is in the way.

How bad is the leak? If not bad, I would wait until you really need to drop the engine for clutch, etc and do it then.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:31 PM
jda407
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sounds like engine is already out. if so....definitely do clutch while it's down. research some clutch's...I'm sure you'll find a lot of input here.

"what do you think of these prices"... Chain tensioner leak and cam cover leak $3175.00 ... that one sounds high to me. but it probably includes dropping the engine if it's already out
Old 07-12-2007, 06:40 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I had my engine removed and torn down with the valve guides replaced and SAI passages cleared, 60k service performed, brakes flushed, and a new LWF and RS clutch installed, and Bilstein HDs and M030 springs installed, and the car aligned, for about what you're being asked to pay (I provided the parts for the suspension and clutch/flywheel), I think you can probably find a better deal ... is that a dealer price?
Old 07-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get a top-end rebuild for about the same price as your cam cover fix ... wow.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello,
Yep, thats dealer price. I have used them for my previous Porsche repairs/service and they always did right my me.

The labor for engine removal is built into the $3175 (2800 labor, $375 parts)
Old 07-12-2007, 07:52 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's no wonder we call them "stealers".....
Old 07-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Okay, so this price is too high and I should shop around?? This price comes from Holberts in Warrington, PA.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:04 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

yeap, shop around... find a good mechanic in your area...
Old 07-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Randy 1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
I had my engine removed and torn down with the valve guides replaced and SAI passages cleared, 60k service performed, brakes flushed, and a new LWF and RS clutch installed, and Bilstein HDs and M030 springs installed, and the car aligned, for about what you're being asked to pay (I provided the parts for the suspension and clutch/flywheel), I think you can probably find a better deal ... is that a dealer price?
Per this response, I think you may want to shop this deal. $2,800 in labor for that crank work? Assuming that's around $70/hour, they're factoring a full week, non-stop.

You're paying crazy dealer markup. This calls for an independent wrench, methinks.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:12 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Guy,
How many miles does the car have?

For those costs, the programming should be a freebie!

Andreas
Old 07-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

74k on the car. I have owned it for a month so can't accurately rate how bad the leak is. I really trust Holberts and don't mind spending a little more over an indy shop I just don't want to be raped!

Andreas,

You got that right, they can program the remote for free. They also talked as if the SAI flush would likely be included as well.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:48 PM
4X4SCHE
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't own any cars if I ever had to pay a bill like that for so little work. ( I have six). Let the sucker leak until you find a real mechanic and not a high overhead sales outlet for new cars. Good luck.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:55 PM
biotechee
Racer

Guy,

I don't own a 993, I have a 968 (but secretly lust after a 993 - honest!). I took '68 to Holbert's once (I live up in Plumsteadville, and work in Warminster). I won't take it there again. I take the 968 to an indy that specializes in the 4cyl variety. Won't help you much other than my feedback from direct experience with Holbert's. That said, I bought my Jetta there and get it serviced there - so far have been happy with VW service. Just not the Porsche. In my opinion, they are truly a typical "new car dealer" with regards to Porsche. They would rather work on newer cars and let the classics go elsewhere. My neighbor across the street got the runaround from them on his '79 911 as well.

There is a place near Philly called Dougherty's. Never been there and not really sure where it is exactly, but they apparently have a good rep. No affiliation whatsoever.

No matter what, good luck and your car is beautiful!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 02:30 AM
hddude
Racer

Originally Posted by Guy
.... I really trust Holberts and don't mind spending a little more over an indy shop I just don't want to be raped!
With all due respect, when that car passes from the trusted dealer's service writer to the shop in back, who knows what happens to it. Dealers are good at having polished, personable service order writers to meet you when you drop off your car, but chances are the car is actually worked on by Joe Shmoe who has little or no contact with the service order writer. When I go to my independent mechanics -- former dealer mechanics who went out on their own 20 years ago -- my car is never more than a few feet away from them.

I just bought a new economy Chevy for our kids commuting. Yesterday I took the car in for a couple items that needed to be fixed under warranty. When I called the knowledgeable, personable service writer to see if it was done, he said it's just gone through the car wash and is all ready to go! I arrived, waited 15 minutes and the car appeared ... unwashed. Obviously that's not the norm but does illustrate how little the service writers actually know what goes on out back in the shop. Save your trust for a good independent mechanic who will actually work on the car or directly supervise the work.

Quick Reply: The expected BIG service bill