993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The expected BIG service bill

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007 | 07:55 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Guy]74k on the car. I have owned it for a month so can't accurately rate how bad the leak is. I really trust Holberts and don't mind spending a little more over an indy shop I just don't want to be raped!

Did you have a PPI performed prior to purchase and if these items were identified then, was your purchase price adjusted accordingly?

In any event, I would shop it around so that you can make an informed decision as to using Holberts or other shops.

Mark
Old 07-13-2007 | 08:55 AM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the opinions, always much appreciated.

I guess I should have mentioned that I am a dealer as well but not a franchise dealer. I bought the car at wholesale auction so PPI was not an option. As the title of this thread states, I expected a 5g bill to put the car right. My concern is not with the overall amount but with whether 2800 labor was high for the seal job, which apparently it is.

I have been in the business for just about 15 years and nothing said by the various posters in this thread is false. Dealers have high markup and service advisors are basically salesman. With that said, I gravitate towards dealers because I like the recourse offered. A small indy shop can screw up royally and basically leave you holding the bag. Dealers can do the same, but there are many levels of support if a complaint is warranted. I am sure there are arguements against this, I am simply stating what caused me to use Holberts for all these years.

Plus, a shop is like a dentist or a barber, you simply begin to build a relationship with one. Doesn't matter if they are the best, its a comfort thing.
Old 07-13-2007 | 10:14 AM
Greg964
Pro

http://platz.com/servicecenters.html
Old 07-13-2007 | 10:21 AM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

I live in NY but, I bought my car in PA.

I found a really good private shop in PA, called Possum Hollow Motorsports.

It's a small outfit, but utterly professional, and level of diligence and care they took with my 993 was superb. As much as I would take myself, and that sort of things gives you a lot of confidence.

No affiliations, but I'd give them a call. The guy that runs it (I think) used to be the cheif mechanic at the local p-car dealer for 10+ years and really knows the 993 well.

Good luck

Cheers
Phil
Old 07-13-2007 | 12:12 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vjd3
I had my engine removed and torn down with the valve guides replaced and SAI passages cleared, 60k service performed, brakes flushed, and a new LWF and RS clutch installed, and Bilstein HDs and M030 springs installed, and the car aligned, for about what you're being asked to pay (I provided the parts for the suspension and clutch/flywheel), I think you can probably find a better deal ... is that a dealer price?
If anything ever goes wrong with my motor or clutch I am trailering it to Boston and going to your shop! I think you posted up what you had done and the prices a while back and it sounded very good.
Old 07-13-2007 | 03:35 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Okay, you guys bent my arm

Seriously, I figure a second opinion and price can't hurt. Dropping it off at Dougherty's next week.

Do I do valve seals at this time as well?
Old 07-13-2007 | 07:13 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

They could not program the remote. They noted, as I did, that the remote light does not come on the clock. They state its a problem with the immobilizer. Funny, the control unit was replaced by the previous owner exactly one year ago.
Old 07-13-2007 | 08:16 PM
hddude
Racer

Originally Posted by Guy

I guess I should have mentioned that I am a dealer as well but not a franchise dealer. ... A small indy shop can screw up royally and basically leave you holding the bag. Dealers can do the same, but there are many levels of support if a complaint is warranted. I am sure there are arguements against this....
Yes, it would have been nice if you had divulged you were a dealer before getting into that business about how you don't mind paying a trusted dealer more for peace of mind and superior recourse. With all due respect, this is the kind of self-serving nonsense that causes most of us to prefer visiting the dentist to visiting a car dealer. Also, I can't imagine why a car dealer with 15 years of experience came here to ask an Internet message board what they thought of a repair bill. Aren't you much better equipped to make that assessment than a bunch of yokels on a message board?
Old 07-14-2007 | 10:41 AM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nasty, undeserved response. Is it me or has this board changed in the past two years?

What did I say to deserve such a rude, ignorant posting? Are you one of those people who think that every "dealer" has some sort of secret handshake or something?? If I sell Harley's, does that make me the expert on all cars and motorcycles?

I am a licensed used car dealer, part time business. Most of the people on this board know that, it's not a big secret. I sell used Corvettes. I followed advice and sought out a reputable independant shop. I know very little on the 993 and most of my time was spent in a 964.

To all those that helped, thanks! You likely saved me money. To hddude, Rennlist members are not "yokels".......

Quick Reply: The expected BIG service bill