993 Forum 1995-1998

Dreaded CEL - CRAP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:39 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unclespeed, we're in the same neighborhood. And your SAI issue, the only problem is the CEL annoyance. I haven't hit that problem with mine, but figure it will happen sooner or later. If you want to fix it, I'm willing to experiment on your car. And I'll offer my garage for it. Maybe we should discuss over a beer some night?
Old 02-26-2012, 11:54 PM
unclespeed
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok.....so I had too many RL session/windows open and had actually not read the posts above mine....so ignore what I asked! I have decided to also check the vacuum hose and failing that, I will just drive her hard(er), try to do a few more track days.,..and pray

fyi...I have normal power and oil useage (~1quart/1k miles). previous owner did the DIY fix and it worked for 4 years/17k miles I will save my money for now...and spend it on further mods
Old 02-26-2012, 11:56 PM
unclespeed
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff, excellent! I will pm you...
Old 02-27-2012, 01:31 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Here is a trailer to a SAI cleanout video that is available or will be soon.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:51 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by unclespeed
fyi...I have normal oil useage (~1quart/1k miles).
Sorry to say, but that's not normal. Your valve guides are worn. You'll see that once you do the top end, your oil usage goes down to 0 quarts/1k miles. My car has 125K and had the top end done at 75K and in five years of ownership I've never added a drop of oil in between changes and the oil level never changes. That's how it's supposed to be.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

I would say its on the higher side, but you also need to compare driving conditions, etc. I have worked on cars that would get 800 miles/quart in the city, stop and go, have excellent compression/leakdown, and do over 1500 miles/quart on the highway. That car has been running that way for years. I have also seen cars that are like yours, very little oil consumption as well.

The trick is how to judge when you absolutely require the top end vs just putting oil in (which is much much cheaper). I think under normal driving use, you can push it to when secondary effects come into play, like fouling plugs, fouling the Cat, misfires, etc. If you are tracking the car, or really drive the car hard, then it's earlier since with excessive wear the heat is not transferred from the valves to the heads very well, and that can cause major failures.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Dreaded CEL - CRAP!