Sponsored by:

993 Rear-Ended

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 06:27 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Oh, poor witto pcar964 baby got his lil car hurt? Oh, baby feel so bad for you. You don't deserve such bad things to happen to you...

NOT! Welcome to Karma, Kramer wannabe!! HEHEHEHE!!!
Regardless of your issues with Greg, you really come off as a douche bag making those kind of comments here.

Hopefully you won't post here anymore unless what you have to say is at least somewhat productive.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:47 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys for all the support. I'll keep you all posted on the repairs, hey maybe I'll get a euro bumper out of it

As for that guy's comments, I'm not sweating it - I've pissed off my fair share of members over the years, I tend to be pretty outspoken - I expect a little backlash now and then
Old 05-24-2007, 07:37 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, I am sorry to hear about the accident. You are lucky that your car is black.
As others have said, make your insurance company do the legwork but let them know what your expectations are - where you want it fixed and that it will be perfect when done.
You might also start the ball rolling on being paid for 'diminished value' due to the accident. Most insurance companies have this coverage but they won't tell you about it.
Good luck,
chuck
Old 05-24-2007, 07:52 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, poor witto pcar964 baby got his lil car hurt? Oh, baby feel so bad for you. You don't deserve such bad things to happen to you...

NOT! Welcome to Karma, Kramer wannabe!! HEHEHEHE!!!
not cool. this is one of those times you need to follow your mother's advice: if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry about your accident, but it sounds like sheet metal was not involved and that's a really good thing. Seems like mechanical stuff is easier to fix correctly that trying to blend paint. Ditto on resisting having them blend the fenders, etc. Many folks paint their bumpers over time for scratches and such, so that's very "normal" in the history of a 911.

When did body shops start to adopt the philosophy of blending the whole world to a small repair? I showed some small scarring (road debris) down near the rocker panel on my Saab to a supposedly reputable shop recently. The guy wanted to blend 2/3 of the side of the car! I left in dismay.

Good luck with the repair. Pick out the absolute best place you can find, and I'm sure it will come out looking great. Pretty soon you will have forgotten it even happened.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:53 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Welcome to Karma
Just remember mr murphy - it does come around when you least expect it. Tread lightly my friend
Old 05-24-2007, 10:27 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

One thing to consider is that as a model 95, your car may not have a clear coat on the paint (I know guards red from 95 does not). Your body shop will likely want to do two-stage paint with a clear coat, as they have a much better shot at color matching the black that way. But you'll want to avoid any sort of "feathering" or blending in on the paint because the two finishes will age differently even if they match perfectly, so keep it all on the same panel if you can.

Or, at least that's how my body shop explained it to me when we had to paint the rear quarter on my former C4 coupe. Whatever they did, the paint match was flawless and I never noticed it again.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:29 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On a positive note, this is a perfect time to dump your basket handle and install a C2S split grill.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:44 AM
Black993
Drifting

Originally Posted by pcar964
That's how I feel also - but I don't want to end up in a situation where her insurance company (some small no-name company) gives me a hard time with the claim. I don't know if I can, at that point, change my mind and have MY insurance company (Progressive) deal with it.

No, you don't want that at all. I'm still going through my battle. Some crazy old bag hit my week old 993 and two months later I still do not have my car. After waiting for SEVERAL weeks for her insurance company to come look at the car, they missed all kinds of things on the estimate. The body shop pointed them out, but somehow they were left off the estimate. I have been fighting tooth and nail with them and its been nothing but a nightmare. See if your company will go after her insurance and then subrogate (sp?) to get the money back.

Its not going to be a fun time, I can assure you that. As I sit here porsche-less week after week it infuriates me even more. I looked a bit into the diminished value aspect and there are VERY different views on it. Some say you can get it, most say good luck! I have given up on it and have settled with just getting my car back repaired properly. I hope to have it back at the end of next week, but I have heard that exact phrase several times already.

Good luck with everything and keep us updated. I feel your pain man!!!!
From one Central Fl rennlister to another, keep your head up and dont let them push you around!
Old 05-25-2007, 02:46 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Sorry to hear about it but I wouldn't sweat it too much. A bumper is not a big deal and if you take it to the right shop, I don't think you'll need to have it blended. Given that it's the bumper only, could the rattle be one of the mufflers that got bent out of place?
Old 05-25-2007, 03:55 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, I'm sorry about the Honda,
If Orlando is like South Florida the wreckers have a deal with the police and they don't notify you right away when it's found.
They take a week and charge you $180 a day!
Next I'm sorry to hear about your 993, You shouldn't have to chase her insurance Co. at all!
That's one of the reasons you pay your company for.
See if you can get an independent adjuster who can work for you and possibly get the whole car painted with the proper negotiations.
Find out who the Porsche dealership uses!
They know the best places to take it.
TAKE A LOT OF PHOTOS! This is to cover whatever vague description Carfax gives.
It makes a huge difference when selling time comes. Good luck, Chris
Old 05-25-2007, 10:28 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by c993k
First, I'm sorry about the Honda,
If Orlando is like South Florida the wreckers have a deal with the police and they don't notify you right away when it's found.
They take a week and charge you $180 a day!
Next I'm sorry to hear about your 993, You shouldn't have to chase her insurance Co. at all!
That's one of the reasons you pay your company for.
See if you can get an independent adjuster who can work for you and possibly get the whole car painted with the proper negotiations.
Find out who the Porsche dealership uses!
They know the best places to take it.
TAKE A LOT OF PHOTOS! This is to cover whatever vague description Carfax gives.
It makes a huge difference when selling time comes. Good luck, Chris
Funny you should mention that, I'm actually playing phone tag with the Orlando PD as we speak, trying to get reimbursed for the $160 the tow company charged me to get my car back. They NEVER contacted me when the Honda was found, and it was immediately towed. This kind of obvious graft really annoys the crap out of me - I'm sure the police chief went to high school with the owner of the towing company, or some such thing. The car wasn't even gone for 24 hours.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:20 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Hey Pcar,
re: Murphyslaw's post - While it would be safe to say that I am not a huge fan of your political views (which doesn't make me a "communist" however, whatever the hell that is these days...) I hold a Voltaire-ian viewpoint on a person's right to speak his/her mind.

I don't come here to talk politics (enough of that crap in my day job...) and as far as I'm concerned a man with a damaged 993 looking for advice and commiseration eclipses all political leanings on this forum.

With that in mind, good luck in getting your car sorted - and hopefully better than it was before it got hit.

Last edited by Davies; 05-25-2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:38 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Heya pcar. Sorry to hear your news. You do have some 'interesting' posts, but that's some bad news, that we all dread would happen to us, and feel your pain.
Hope it works out ok.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:09 PM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
So last night after I picked up my stolen and recovered Honda from the wrecker yard, some girl rear-ended me in the 993. Car is (was) all-original paint in excellent condition, now it's an "accident" car

I don't think there's any frame damage, but the rear bumper is cracked, and worse, the engine is making a strange noise now - I think maybe something got knocked out of alignment, it's a rattling/vibrating sound. (Some of you may remember a previous post about an undiagnosed rattling engine noise - that paled in comparison to the noise it's making now).

Just as I was starting to feel better about the car - I waxed and detailed it last week, and after checking the oil consumption, it only consumed one quart in 1,900 miles! Engine is tight as a drum!

I'll take some pics later tonight, but in the meantime, any advice? I want to get the car repaired PROPERLY, which will obviously require a new rear bumper and paint. I am really concerned about proper color matching, and also the diminished value of my car now that it's not original. Does anybody know of a good body shop in Orlando?

Any ideas about the noise? The oil pressure seems good, no leaking from what I can see.
That is a real shame, I am sorry to hear that. One suggestion: after going through a horrible rear-ender in my wife's Acura (frame damage), I researched "diminished value" compensation from the insurance company. Well, Pa. law does not support it, but I am pretty sure that Florida does. I hope you don't need to go that route, but thought I'd let you know.

Hope you're back on the road very soon!

Quick Reply: 993 Rear-Ended