Sponsored by:

PSS-9s vs. RoW M030

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 11:44 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
p.s. PSS9's at full soft is not a good setting. You need to run them at 7-8. A lot of people, including me, have seen visible porpoising of our cars at 9 setting.
True.
I'll even say the same about 6 around.
I'm in NYC and run 4/3, but for the track I run 3/1.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Harry L
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone who responded. Bearing in mind how subjective this can all be, I have heard from a few people now that say that the RoW M030 set up is actually stiffer than PSS-9s at full soft. It makes me wonder whether the shocks on my PSS-9s are just getting old/worn (20k + miles). One thing I have noticed (several times now) when I see other lowered 993s on the road is that those cars look "serene" at speed (on whatever horrible Bay Area road we are on at the time), but my car hops around like a Cup car. Regarding tire pressures: I run 36 psi in the front and 44 in the rear (factory settings for 18s). Thanks again, everyone.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Harry L
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Harry L
My 993 C4 Coupe has PSS-9s that were installed about 4 years/20k miles ago. The car is my daily driver and I am getting battered.

I want to convert to the RoW M030 (possibly with Bilstein HDs) set-up, or possibly H&R springs with HDs.

Will the RoW M030 set-up be noticeably more compliant, or roughly equivalent to my PSS-9s (at full soft)?
**Gentlemen: I just found out (after a bit of part number investigation) that my sway bars are actually not the M030 set-up, but, instead, 23mm RS 5-way adjustable in the front and 21mm in the rear. My understanding is that these diameters alone would make the ride noticeably firmer. I hate to say this, but, since my car is a daily driver and Bay Area roads are horrible, I think I am going to sell my PSS-9s and sway bars and go with an RoW M030 set-up. Thanks again.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:05 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

**Gentlemen:...I hate to say this, but, since my car is a daily driver and Bay Area roads are horrible, I think I am going to sell my PSS-9s and sway bars and go with an RoW M030 set-up. Thanks again.
PM Sent.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:45 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

**Gentlemen: I just found out (after a bit of part number investigation) that my sway bars are actually not the M030 set-up, but, instead, 23mm RS 5-way adjustable in the front and 21mm in the rear. My understanding is that these diameters alone would make the ride noticeably firmer. I hate to say this, but, since my car is a daily driver and Bay Area roads are horrible, I think I am going to sell my PSS-9s and sway bars and go with an RoW M030 set-up. Thanks again.
You have the advantage to adjust them softer. Try that first.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:05 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Regarding tire pressures: I run 36 psi in the front and 44 in the rear (factory settings for 18s). Thanks again, everyone.
Most around here don't run such high pressures. Depending on what tires you have, e.g. if they have stiff sidewalls, those pressures will batter you. I am running 32.5f/35r cold. I was running 33f/37r with Bridgestones but the BF Goodrichs that I'm running now have stiffer sidewalls.

Don't get the M030s, they are stiffer than the full-soft!
Old 05-23-2007, 12:27 AM
Royalcarrera
Intermediate

Hi Harry, I had what you had, installed MO 33 with the HD's could not be happier, Sincerely, Royal
Old 05-23-2007, 01:32 AM
Harry L
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TroyN
Most around here don't run such high pressures. Depending on what tires you have, e.g. if they have stiff sidewalls, those pressures will batter you. I am running 32.5f/35r cold. I was running 33f/37r with Bridgestones but the BF Goodrichs that I'm running now have stiffer sidewalls.

Don't get the M030s, they are stiffer than the full-soft!
Thanks, Troy. I am running PZero Rossos - 225/40/18(f) and 265/35/18(r).
Old 05-23-2007, 01:39 AM
Harry L
Rennlist Member

Royal:

How would you describe the handling characteristics of your car now vs. with the PSS-9 set up? Do you think that this set-up is a balanced compromise, or is it more heavily weighted in favor of comfort? What sway bars are your running? Do you have 18s?

-Harry
Old 05-23-2007, 01:48 AM
Dan V
Race Car

Harry: if you're in the same Bay Area I'm in (SF bay), I would gladly let you take mine for a drive. I'm staying in the area this weekend.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:03 AM
Harry L
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan V
Harry: if you're in the same Bay Area I'm in (SF bay), I would gladly let you take mine for a drive. I'm staying in the area this weekend.
Dan:

That would be great! I am in Los Altos, but can meet you just about anywhere in the Bay Area. Should we exchange phone numbers to coordinate?

-Harry
Old 05-23-2007, 02:45 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MO30's right here. What a difference!! I think either MO30's or M033's will be fine with the HD's.

PSS9's--looked that route but I dont track and thought it was overkill for my purposes. Im a 3 vehicle driver so I mix things up all the time. No daily driver, I commute from bedroom to where ever my wireless feels like working that day. However, on a plane to Seattle tomorrow morning so I guess Im working there for the day.

Best of luck in your decision on suspension.

Great roads in Salt Lake City!!!
Old 05-23-2007, 08:09 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 253 Posts

Quote:
Regarding tire pressures: I run 36 psi in the front and 44 in the rear (factory settings for 18s). Thanks again, everyone.

those are too high me thinks..
Old 05-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Harry: I'll PM you with my cell#. I was thinking Santana Row, Saturday morning. There's often a bunch of Ferraris, Lambos, P-cars, etc. gathered there at the cinema parking lot from 8 - 10.

Dan:

That would be great! I am in Los Altos, but can meet you just about anywhere in the Bay Area. Should we exchange phone numbers to coordinate?

-Harry
Old 05-23-2007, 01:20 PM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stiffer anti roll bars don't really make the ride harder, they are only active when the wheel on one side moves in the opposite direction to the other side, as when turning in to a corner. RS bars are only marginally thicker than RoW M030 anyway, and you could adjust them to full soft by moving the drop link (outermost position front & rear). PSS9 spring rates are much harder than standard, but are well damped at 6 or lower and give me an entirely acceptable ride on a wide variety of surfaces with 18s, monoball top mounts, and RS bars. I run 36F 40R cold pressures.

Sounds to me as if you bought the wrong car .. someone has spent thousands getting it to handle responsively ..

HTH, cheers, Maurice

Quick Reply: PSS-9s vs. RoW M030