Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At 76k mi, I still don't need new shocks or springs. 993's rock!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts
Default At 76k mi, I still don't need new shocks or springs. 993's rock!

I've been hearing here over the years that at about 30-40k miles our cars springs and shocks could/would be shot. I bought my car 4 1/2 years ago with 59k miles on it and was told at the time that they are fine. Every so often I have a mechanic drive my car and they say my car doesn't need new shocks and springs, but with 76k miles now, I brought it to my new shop in Fairfax VA. I've never used them for anything yet, but I've been told they're very trustworthy and I've had it with all the Maryland shops I've used. After a brisk and exciting 40 minute drive, I walk into the shop, meet the mechanic, drive my car fully expecting him to find fault with these items and he surprisingly says they're fine!

Yahoooooooo. He asked if I track my car and I said that I don't. He said I certainly don't need to replace the original Monroes and that the car exhibited no signs that I'd need to do anything anytime soon.

So... I guess you can't make a generalization that all 993's over 60k mi need these replaced. My wife was happy to hear this as she wasn't really excited about me spending our savings on "suspension upgrades", unless they were proven safetly items.

I'm going to wait.

Cheers,
Steve R
Old 05-10-2007, 12:38 AM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you driven a 993 with a suspension upgrade Steve ? Compare the two drives side by side and I think you'll be singing a different tune to the wife.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:54 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, thats what I thought. Then one day I noticed this tiny little leak in one of the rear dampers. When you put some PSS9's on that bad boy you will ask yourself why you didn't make the change much, much sooner. Do you need to make a change? Maybe not but if you haven't driven a 993 with modded suspension yet and you do, you may change your mind about that!
Old 05-10-2007, 01:02 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

+ 2 I just did HDs and H&R springs and really improved the handling. not sure my stock suspension had failed but the ROW ride height and the much higher quality components make the car much more sure footed. you won't regret the investment!!!
Old 05-10-2007, 01:06 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the shocks on my 964 where fine until I tossed on some new Bilstien HD's

My 993 has 108k on the clock and the shocks are SOOOOOO gone really looking forward to making the time to finish the JIC CROSS system but as you can see in avatar it's not the only thing I'm doing (my belts just arrived today woo hoo!)

No leaks in mine but I can tell that they do not damp the springs very well plus the car is still at 4x4 height

PS - please excuse my lack of punctuation my laptop lost the PERIOD and COMMA keys last week and I've not yet decided what to replace it with wow talk a bout a crummy set of keys to lose
Old 05-10-2007, 01:18 AM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah Steve... nudge nudge... wink wink ... push, shove, prod, bump, heave, urge.

In all seriousness though. Not saying you are wrong here, and major credit to your shop to recommend NOT spending money... BUT ... I drove an SC for a few years, a 964 for a few years, and then my 993 for a couple years before doing my first suspension swap. It was then that I realized that I never knew what these things are SUPPOSED to feel like.

Also, for what it's worth, my car passed the normal "bounce" test. Pushing up and down on the front fender yielded NO movement. But with the old shock removed, it could be compressed like an 8 year old girl closing an umbrella.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:26 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,157 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Keith read my thoughts. I've been driving both cars intermitedly these past few days. The cab has the HD/M030 with a great alignment setup while the C4S has the stock Monroes which are not leaking and passed the PPI without comment. The cab makes me feel completely confident while the C4S is okay but makes me feel unsafe compared to the cab.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:32 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ M O T O N S }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Old 05-10-2007, 01:46 AM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I thought my car was OK and handled great...one trip to the track at higher cornering speeds and I scared the sh*t out of myself. The car was so out of control that it was pitifull. I knew the suspension was shot.

PSS-9s fixed that....

Cheers!
Old 05-10-2007, 01:55 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Uh, negative ghost rider, you need new stuff. Remember, it's better to beg for forgiveness than... wait, how does that go? Um, dear....?
Old 05-10-2007, 02:05 AM
dpressley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

HD + m030 will transform the car...
Old 05-10-2007, 02:08 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Oh man... you guys are mod mavens. You're killing me here. I was all excited that my car was fine just the way it was, with my $2k still in the bank. I called my wife today and told her I have exciting news... that we don't have to spend $2k to fix the suspension, that the shop said it's fine the way it is.

Arghhh. The set up to get a new suspension is kind of quashed here... She has to approve large outlays of cash towards my car.

Time to find a local Rennlister and drive their car to see the difference. Rats... I may have spoke too soon when I called her today.

What excuse could I use to get back into the game: "Honey, I really need to fix the suspension on the car after all. Yeah, you see - the mechanic was ... uh... stoned when he drove it. Right, that's the ticket. He was in an altered state and thought the car was fine, but in reality, it is a suspension nightmare waiting to happen and we need to spend at least $2k right now to make it right".

She's not going to buy this...

Steve R
Old 05-10-2007, 02:08 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At 60k, the shop comment on shocks was "they were pretty much shot".

From the 2 weeks on my HD's, MO30's, sways, and strut brace with a fresh 60k tune, it is a night and day difference. I dropped $6500 on the last shop vist and parts purchased. I need to say no more and those who have done the same, or similar, will agree suspension is a great upgrade. Dont have to and you can probably wait longer but that day will come and you will be very pleased with the upgrade.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:19 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

This is what I was quoted (by a reliable seller of parts on this board) when I'm ready to do it:

"With a C4S, You have a few choices. Just HDs are $1150. HDs and ROW M030 springs are $1550. HDs, ROW M030 springs and M030 sways (includes bushings) are $1800. All items are plus shipping." A fellow Rennlister has offered to help me install all this stuff... Imagine that! What great folks on this board.

I don't think I need sways, right? I don't track my car but just ride it hard around town sometimes. I use my car to do errands, go to movies, go to work, do sales calls (but park it around the corner), and blow it out on the beltway a few times a week.

So... even if my car seems fine, you think I'm "ready" now?

Thx in advance,
Steve
Old 05-10-2007, 02:25 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Steve if you don`t track it or go on very "spirited " drives .If the $$ for suspension is not at your disposal I don`t see why not wait till your next birtday or christmas and ask santa (wife ) for your present . Believe me it will ride better feeling you earn it instead of sacrificing other things now .
just my .02 cent .

Cheers Guy

Quick Reply: At 76k mi, I still don't need new shocks or springs. 993's rock!