Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At 76k mi, I still don't need new shocks or springs. 993's rock!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 02:26 AM
dpressley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can do the sways later if you choose without affecting the alignment. You will want them though. Find one that has been done and get a ride or take it for a drive and make your own decision.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:27 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
....I don't think I need sways, right? I don't track my car but just ride it hard around town sometimes. I use my car to do errands, go to movies, go to work, do sales calls (but park it around the corner), and blow it out on the beltway a few times a week.....
No you don't need sways right away...but usually it's a "might as well do it while your are in there" thing. You may want to consider CEBoyd's TRG sways she is selling (I'm thinking about these but have no real urgent need), or if cost is a near term issue, you can drill out your stock rear sways and stiffen the rear a bit...probably one of the cheapest mods you can do.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:36 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
No you don't need sways right away...but usually it's a "might as well do it while your are in there" thing. You may want to consider CEBoyd's TRG sways she is selling (I'm thinking about these but have no real urgent need), or if cost is a near term issue, you can drill out your stock rear sways and stiffen the rear a bit...probably one of the cheapest mods you can do.
+1

DONT FORGET THE GERT PROTECTION BAR!! Trust me on how I know as I sit waiting for it to arrive. Its not a good feeling to feel a slight ground scrape in a place you never used to feel it.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:52 AM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if Steve R was one of the lucky ones that got Boges rather than Monroes .. their life is more in the 100K mile range ..

cheers, Maurice
Old 05-10-2007, 07:12 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,157 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Is Boges what came in the Euro cars with the full M030 suspension?
Old 05-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Seriously, Steve, despite my "Moton" joke, your car may be just fine for your driving. Your mechanic has deemed it to be in good working order, so why go looking to fix something that isn't broken? Just ignore the peanut gallery and drive on. If you want to further ensure that the suspension is okay, have another hard-drivin' Rennlister or Dorki give it a whirl.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:26 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

What did your mechanic look at? You can't tell they are gone by just looking at them, they may look fine (not leaking) but they rarely are. With all respect to your mechanic if you took those shocks off and put them on a shock dyno you would see they are gone.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:33 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Steve,
Nothing wrong with exercising some fiscal restraint. I should practice what I preach....

On the other hand, should you find the pressure from the peanut gallery overwhelming, and ultimately successful, I will gladly install these for the price of conversation and coffee.

When I replaced my suspension, I chose to replace only shocks and springs, as the car does not see track duty and I found the stock sway bars perfectly fine for my needs. A year later, I feel the same way.

Also, I have one of those oddball early-build 993s (7/74) that came with Boge shocks. Everyone seems to think they were all equipped with Monroe items.

As for the wife, just tell her that you were testing her reactions. But that ultimately, your safety, and that of your loved ones, teeters on the very knife's edge of disaster with those old pogo sticks your car came with

Andreas
Old 05-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I tried convincing myself I didn't need the new suspension either. Well I was wrong as hell. This is the best thing you can do for the car. Like said in an earlier post. Drive a car with the M030 HD upgrade and you will believe.

Mike
Old 05-10-2007, 09:56 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve: Don't think of this as a "mod". This is routine maintenance of wear items which USUALLY do not last 10 years and XX miles. As a bonus, you'll lose the SUV ride height.

Jack
Old 05-10-2007, 10:05 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Steve -

When I got a pre-buy done on my car (25K miles), they said I didn't need shocks.

When I had my car checked by my mechanic, he said I didn't need shock (twice).

I got the bug and upgraded anyway. Here is what I found (note the two LEAKING shocks):

I'll stick by my "every 993 needs shocks--either due to mileage or 10-12 years of sitting on them."
Old 05-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

This is one informative post that I didn't expect to play out like this...

The mechanic DID drive my car though it was only for about 6 minutes or so, right near his shop, on a semi winding route but nothing to speak of. He said the car felt fine and wasn't in need of new anything. It's a really great shop that people drive long distances to get to. They had a 997 GT3 cup car on the lift in there and he said that if I was driving it like this guy drives his car (on the track) then maybe I'd need a new suspension.

Sorry to ask the same, tired old questions, but I didn't plan lowering it that much (if I do the suspension) due to my steeply angled driveway and awful roads in my area, so do I REALLY need that front protecion bar after doing a suspension upgrade?

I hear what you guys are saying getting it anyway, regardless of what the mechanic said. Mark from Baltimore: I take your comment about fiscal responsibility to heart too. I think I'll just have a fellow Rennlister drive it as a 2nd opinion and see what they say. I've never driven another 993 so I don't know what I'm missing!

I will stubbornly admit that sometimes when cornering I have a nervous feeling as the suspension isn't upgraded yet, but it may be just a skewed perception due to what I read here on Rennlist. The car MAY be fine, or it might not be. I'll leave it to another Rennlister to help me decide that. For now, it doesn't seem like a safety issue so as suggested earlier, I might just leave it for my birthday gift in February.

Cheers,
Steve R
Old 05-10-2007, 10:31 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always like it when the word wife is posted. Of course with me after 38 years, my spending habits wont change or be influence by anyone on my decisions. I have a live in girlfriend and straight up on everything I spend and do. No justification, just the real deal.

When I got back from Amsterdam, the first thing I said to my girlfriend is my buddy screwed 2 dutch ****** in the Redlight District and I helped pick them out. And they were hot!!! We went to live sex shows, hit the coffee shops, and every mueseum and cultural history of Amsterdam and Brussels. You only live once and what I do today isnt a dress rehersal. I dont have to justify anything I do because the answer is quite simple. I choose to do so.

Back to the subject, go get that suspension and get it all!
Old 05-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 561 Posts

At about 50K miles I had cupping on my tires. Did an alignment, put a new set of balanced tires on, and still cupping. Tire guy said my shocks were gone. I told him it's a Porsche, can't be. Mechanic did the static bounce test with his knee pushing the bumper down, and said they were fine.

Here is how you really know if they are gone, and what happened at about 70K. Take your car on a high speed sweeper, feel it take a set on initial turn in. In the middle of the high speed sweeper, does it keep the initial set, or does it bounce slowly back and forth during the sweeper, as if suspended on Jell-O? Then do a back-to-back comparison with a car with new shocks such as HD and M030 setup. The difference is easy to feel.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:06 AM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve, I couldn't find anything wrong with my 96 993 with 39K. Even after the completed PPI – no mention of required shocks. After only 2 weeks I noticed that it was not planted on the ground at speeds above 50. I decided to give Viper Bob a call and inquire about the PSS9 kit. He was very informative, patient and resourceful. The kit was shipped up to Toronto within the week and he even offered to lend a hand (via tele) if I was going to tackle the job myself. After installing them I can truly say is that it’s possibly one of the best upgrades. It now feels like a go cart. Responsive with great feedback.
If your P car puts a silly grin on your mug every time you drive it, the least you can do is give your Porsche a treat while treating yourself.

Quick Reply: At 76k mi, I still don't need new shocks or springs. 993's rock!