Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At 76k mi, I still don't need new shocks or springs. 993's rock!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 11:10 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ M O T O N S }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Next time... next time.. I just needed something basic for the 993, for now..
Old 05-10-2007, 11:54 AM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by dpressley
HD + m030 will transform the car...
+1 (MORE)
Try to get a ride in a 993 with the RoW M030 & HD Bilsteins. Better yet drive one.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:38 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

In my particular experience, I purchased my car from porsche (germany). The day I paid for it, the car went through porsche full service, and later that day, passed the german T.U.V.
Came back to France with it, passed the obligatory Tech. control here, with excellent figures.
But the figures are not 993 good (suspension wise) why?
Because I took out the pretty new looking shock absorbers to instal the M030, and all four shocks were DANGEROUS.
You could tilt the head of the shock piston as if it was a gear shift.
The piston went forward and backward like more than 4 inches, and on each strut.
Remember, no leaks, pretty new aspect.
Conclusion, after changing the suspension, the car stopped like feeeet before it used to need to stop.
Braking on uneven roads was stable and confident, not rattly and scary. No more aqua-planning, no more sudden side drifting from the four corners.
reading the posts before, I but conclude that the 993 tricks the regular machines that measure if the struts are still good, especially the just 'press and release' to check for wobble.
I am ready to bet a tenner yours are shot as well.
just to surprise some, my shocks were m033 Boge,yes boge.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,157 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by LJ in Van
Is Boges what came in the Euro cars with the full M030 suspension?
Anyone...anyone???
Old 05-10-2007, 01:42 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Oh man... you guys are mod mavens. You're killing me here. I was all excited that my car was fine just the way it was, with my $2k still in the bank. I called my wife today and told her I have exciting news... that we don't have to spend $2k to fix the suspension, that the shop said it's fine the way it is.

Arghhh. The set up to get a new suspension is kind of quashed here... She has to approve large outlays of cash towards my car.

Time to find a local Rennlister and drive their car to see the difference. Rats... I may have spoke too soon when I called her today.

What excuse could I use to get back into the game: "Honey, I really need to fix the suspension on the car after all. Yeah, you see - the mechanic was ... uh... stoned when he drove it. Right, that's the ticket. He was in an altered state and thought the car was fine, but in reality, it is a suspension nightmare waiting to happen and we need to spend at least $2k right now to make it right".

She's not going to buy this...

Steve R
Give me a holla if ever you're in my neck of the woods..Tippy though...
Old 05-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and offers. I'm feeling the group hug. I will try to corner Andreas or Trinitony one day for 10 minutes and have them drive my car. If they say it feels "wrecked", then I'm "all systems go" for getting the new "works".

I really can't imagine my car is going to feel $2k better than it does now, but I'm certainly open to it. Right now, it feels fantastic around town and the beltway. If it felt THAT much better, dang, I'd be in heaven!

Steve R
Old 05-10-2007, 08:14 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Damn, Steve, that photo makes me want to take up flying. Just gorgeous.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:13 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

I will try to corner Andreas or Trinitony one day for 10 minutes and have them drive my car. If they say it feels "wrecked", then I'm "all systems go" for getting the new "works".

The first time I drove a 993, I stalled it trying to start off in 3rd gear. Sorry Mark....

Steve,
To be perfectly honest, your suspension did seem to 'crash' while going over rough pavement and speed bumps. I did take note of this, but placed it into buffer, as we were busy listening for the famed rattler.....

Andreas
Old 05-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Andreas: So... my suspension is beat, huh? It seemed to "crash"

when going over speed bumps? That's good enough for me.

I just mentioned this to my wife, and she says we can't do it right now, but in September my checks should be bigger and we can do it then. Yahoo! Then she came out with a real zinger. She says, and I quote : "Honey, you just put XM radio into your BMW - why don't you just drive that more? You could drive that till September if your 911 is that bad. I though you were going to drive the BMW most of the time now, now that it has XM?"

"Ha", I said. I reminded her that I put XM in there so when we travel as a family we have great radio, but that when the weather is nice, I ONLY want to drive my 993, even if the suspension is tired. I'm quite fine with only having talk AM/FM radio in the Porsche as I'm highly concentrated in my driving. I had thought about XM in there too at one point, but decided I'd rather use the money towards an actual upgrade to the car... like better handling.

Cheers,
Steve R
Old 05-10-2007, 10:31 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission...I would go ahead and do it.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:36 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

I think you'll really be surprised what those ten year old parts look like when you pull them out. Keep us "posted"

Jack

Last edited by pedsurg; 05-28-2007 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:44 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

I'm quite fine with only having talk AM/FM radio in the Porsche as I'm highly concentrated in my driving.

I've used my stock CR-1 stereo one time. I think the date was September 14, 2005, and I was somewhere in the wide open plains of Saskatchewan, madly driving the 993 from Seattle to Baltimore. After a few minutes, I realized that the sound of the flat six was far superior!

Andreas
Old 05-10-2007, 11:49 PM
Bokonon
Instructor

Hold off. The car can go a long time. Didn't folks post their high mileages on another thread and one or two mentioned they were running original suspension and (even brakes??) Anyway, if you don't know better, best to save the $.

I did the HD + Bilstein and it was a big difference from my worn stock setup. I didn't do sway bars (never been a big fan of sway bars in general, and I don't track). The car requires a bit more attention as it can catch road ruts a bit easier, but felt about the same (roughness-wise). I like the fact that it sits a little lower too. It turns in quite a bit tighter too. All very subjective, yeah.

I would do it again, mostly to fix the 4x4 look, but for me daily-driving it, it doesn't feel night-and-day. And the newness wore off just like my front strut bar did. You get used to it like any other upgrade. I'm sure if I went back to a stock suspension I would be upset, but if you don't know better, no need to rush in.

Trying to provide some balance to the arguments here. If you are debating doing the upgrade, you probably will be fine without.
good luck!
-terry
PS: And yeah, 993s rock!
Old 05-11-2007, 12:04 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thx Terry - what you wrote does put it in perspective for me for sure. I will sleep on all this for a while and think about it. I mostly just drive my car around town and I'm sure the $2k upgrade will be noticeable, but it's just not utterly crucial right this second.

Steve R
Old 05-11-2007, 03:44 AM
ScubaJKD
Instructor

Steve, just did M030 and HD with sways from VB. You can drive my car and make your own assessment. What is the name of your shop in Fairfax? PM me to setup a time.

Quick Reply: At 76k mi, I still don't need new shocks or springs. 993's rock!