993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love my new PSS9 suspension, but . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 06:19 PM
Gus Sem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love my new PSS9 suspension, but . . .

I had my PSS9 suspension installed by a shop that works on many race cars - excellent shop. The handling is now incredible! The ride height appears to be just above RS and it's pretty cool sitting that much closer to the road.

But . . .
I was looking at the spacing of my front tires relative to the wheel-well. The drivers-side looks very close to the front of the wheel and is about an inch closer than the passenger-side. I haven't heard any noises when I go over bumps, this far.

Other than aesthetics (not centered within the wheel-well), is there any concern being somewhat close to the front of the wheel-well?

Is this an alignment setting (car was aligned and corner balanced)?

Thanks
Gus

'95 993 C2 Blk (Built April '95)/PSS9s - previously M030/LSD/Michilin PS Ribs
Old 04-28-2007, 07:46 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

If you have that much difference I would venture to say that you have different negative camber between the 2 front wheels. It does not really matter if the wheel is centered or not, with negative camber the top will be more inwards than the bottom and you want that anyway, but having 2 different camber settings is not good at all...
Who did the alignement? Did you get a printout of what the values are?
If its strictly a street car RS specs which are -1 camber all around is a nice setup.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:42 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should be the complete opposite in regards to the tire to fender issue. Maybe the shop didn't corner balance it with weight in the drivers seat. Or as Danny says different camber. Got any pics?
Old 04-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Just a wild guess here but did the shop give the car enough time/miles to let it "settle" before doing the alignment. I know when I did mine, after driving apx. 25 mi. it set diff. than it did right after I finished the work.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:15 PM
Gus Sem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys! I didn't get a chance to upload the photos I took. Also, after looking at them the difference seemed minor - perhaps too much of a perfectionist. In the meantime, I visited my shop and they took a look. They thought it is most likely due to a minor difference in the fender from side-to-side (no, the car has never been in an accident). He said the only thing that could affect that would be the caster as it could move the tire slightly forward/back.

The car handles exceptionally well, so I'll have to trust them. Thanks again for your feedback. I'll try and post a pic of my carr soon.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:09 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus Sem
......The car handles exceptionally well, .......

That the best news: keep an eye on tire pressures and wear patterns to remain assured that all is well. A light finger drag across the tread in either direction can pick up assymetric wear that is nearly impossible to see ... were it to occur.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:54 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Maybe the shop didn't corner balance it with weight in the drivers seat.
or they did add driver weight when they corner balanced it and the car only looks different when you're not in it
Old 04-30-2007, 10:07 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 439 Posts

Is the wheel base measurement on each side the same? (Measured from the center of the wheels)
Old 04-30-2007, 10:13 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Garth S
That the best news: keep an eye on tire pressures and wear patterns to remain assured that all is well. A light finger drag across the tread in either direction can pick up assymetric wear that is nearly impossible to see ... were it to occur.
Very true...difficult to see but easy to feel. Especially in the steering wheel when the front tires become cupped. I've spent too much money on road force balances and alignments attempting to dial out a shimmy in the harmonic range of 55-60mph.... only to find out cupped tires at 6/32nds of wear were the culprit.

Enjoy your new suspension !!

Quick Reply: Love my new PSS9 suspension, but . . .