I hate the Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 02:13 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
OK go find that vintage 1986 Civic CRX HF and compare it to a 2007 Prius. Now tell me they are the same car! You guys are so blind in your hate.
Deleted as my conscience was bothering me.

Last edited by DC from Cape Cod; 04-27-2007 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:32 PM
wayne993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Davies
I don't understand why Toyota had to make the thing so ugly, though.
Aerodynamics, interior dimensions, and placement of engine, batteries,
motors, etc.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:08 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by luv2ride
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It wasn't to long ago when Honda made the CRX HF and the Civic HF (late 80's). Granted they may have had more emissions but they got like 50mpg. That's why a prius doesn't impress me at all with it's 45mpg. Why cant it get 70mpg? Is that so hard.
Yeap. I got 50+ mpg WITH A CARBURETOR! It was mid-late 80's. I get the old 70's oil-burner Rabbit's did even better. Thus, I remain, unimpressed.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:12 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Those Toyota engineers are such idiots. Can you imagine they spent all this money researching hybrids and fuel efficiency and all they had to do was go back to 1970's VW technology to solve all our problems.

I'm sorry, but as a person that believes technology marches forward, the above seemed like a pretty ludicrous post.

Greg H.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:24 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wayne993
The real answer is electric cars. They lower emissions, move emissions out of the cities,
increase mileage astronomically, ELIMINATE our dependence on foreign oil, accelerate like
a bat out of hell, give HUGE decreases in greenhouse gas emissions and on and on and on.
There is only ONE problem to solve in bringing these to market - batteries. Every other
problem is solved.
Yep, the only problem we need to solve is the power source. Sounds similar to our current problem. Electric cars need a recharge from somewhere. The vast majority of electicity in the US comes from non-PC, non-green, etc. power sources.
Personally, I want a windmill, solar panels and no power bill. It's just not $$$ effective. ROI is like 30 years...
The technology is interesting though. Fun stuff. +1 on the Tesla, Matt!

On a side note, whoulda thunk we would have a Prius "discussion" on a pcar forum! Crazy world.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:29 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Greg H.
Those Toyota engineers are such idiots. Can you imagine they spent all this money researching hybrids and fuel efficiency and all they had to do was go back to 1970's VW technology to solve all our problems.

I'm sorry, but as a person that believes technology marches forward, the above seemed like a pretty ludicrous post.

Greg H.
I think you have missed the point. Right now, it's not looking any more impressive from a fuel economy standpoint than a 70's era VW Rabbit. Having had one, I'm sure that is MUCH quicker (hell, a 10 year old on a skateboard could out-accelerate that thing) but it was pretty easy on fuel! I'll become impressed at 100 MPG. You are free to be impressed with 45.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I may have misspoken - I didn't mean just the Toyota hybrid engineers are idiots - I meant all of the car manufacturer's engineers must be idiots.

If they could build a car that accelerated well enough to sell, was a reasonable size and price and got better gas mileage than a Prius - don't you think someone would be making that car right now? There must be a reason they aren't still selling whatever it is you got 50mpg out of.

Greg H
Old 04-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wayne993
Aerodynamics, interior dimensions, and placement of engine, batteries,
motors, etc.
Hey, that's the same reasoning behind the (slightly more successful) original 911 design!
Old 04-27-2007, 04:22 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

I may have misspoken - I didn't mean just the Toyota hybrid engineers are idiots - I meant all of the car manufacturer's engineers must be idiots.

If they could build a car that accelerated well enough to sell, was a reasonable size and price and got better gas mileage than a Prius - don't you think someone would be making that car right now? There must be a reason they aren't still selling whatever it is you got 50mpg out of.

Greg H
From: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...rticleId=68272

A four-door sedan debuted for 1981, as did a three-speed automatic transmission that replaced the primitive two-speed unit.

Rectangular headlamps and black bumpers appeared on the 1982 Civic. A new gas-sipping model, the five-speed "FE" (Fuel Economy) was introduced and was rated at 41 mpg in the city and 55 mpg on the highway.

The sporty new Civic "S" replaced the 1500 GL in 1983 and was fitted with a firmer suspension (with rear stabilizer bar) and 165/70R13 Michelin tires. A red accent encircled the S and set it apart from the other Civics.
The only reason I can figure they are not building it any more is because a carbureator will not meet ODBII requirements and people in the mid/late 80's didn't really care about fuel effciency *that* much so it just sort of faded into history.

As far as modern auto engineers, who knows.. I don't, I invent software for a living.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:19 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many carburated midsized sedans got 55mpg even in 1985?
Old 04-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

You guys want to rag on a total scam - how about the Smart Car? Costs $25,000 for a two passenger car that accelerates from 0 -60 in 15 seconds, gets 40 mpg and can carry two bags of groceries. By comparison a Prius is quicker, gets better gas mileage, carries 4 people in total comfort, can cost less and will carry a Labrador Retreiver in the back. The only downside is you need a real parking space for it.

Greg H.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:30 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carburators faded mostly due to evaporative emissions requirements. Carbs give off vapor after shutdown, injection doesn't.

I totally agree with the technology marching forward comments. Just because the early horseless carrages were unreliable, noisy and slow didn't mean it wasn't a good concept. If we listened to you anti-progress types we'd never have our 993s (but I'm sure you'd be on some pretty terrific horses though!).

By the way, we routinely fit 5 in our Prius, quite comfortably.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:05 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

OK. I give up. The Prius is God's gift to autmotive technology. I'm going to go fire up my big F150 and let it idle for a few hours, then drive it around empty (with the tailgate up).
Old 04-27-2007, 06:29 PM
gfunk
Pro

You guys want to rag on a total scam - how about the Smart Car? Costs $25,000 for a two passenger car that accelerates from 0 -60 in 15 seconds, gets 40 mpg and can carry two bags of groceries.
Greg H.
In Canada the Smart car starts at around C$16k vs C$31k for the Prius so if you need 4 seats you can just buy 2 Smart cars for about the same price as a Prius.

Greg
Old 04-27-2007, 07:54 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Prius is God's gift to autmotive technology.
Oh come on, everyone know's that's the 993. The Prius isn't God's gift, but neither is it some sham that Toyota is putting on consumers. Or some of the dumb things people are posting about it.

Quick Reply: I hate the Toyota Prius