Sponsored by:

I hate the Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 01:35 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, for some people, its about hating.

I consider the Prius a high performance car, just like the Porsche.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:37 PM
obchuck
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I was just venting...guess there's lot's of opinions on this!!

I'll be in Newport Beach next week w/some buddies, one of whom lives in Hollywood and drives a Prius. Certainly w/traffic & carpool lane there's a benefit I guess. Anyway the guy he bought it from @ Hollywood Toyota said Leonardo DiCaprio came in once and bought 9 Priuses to give to his friends (sales tactic???). Probably true, I guess. I'll bet selling Priuses in Hollywood is about as hard as selling Budweiser @ Daytona!
Old 04-25-2007, 01:53 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think this all about getting the most mpg ?
I persuaded a relative to by a Prius a little over a year ago, in short he was quite disapointed with the fuel consumption beeing approx 40% higher than Toyota stated.
My relative whent back to the new Toyota Auris (the new Corolla) and is seeing about 25% more mpg.

Remember that electricity used is mainly generated by the engine !

But what it sure does is to start a debate which sure is positive, as we need to wake up and start thinking more about the enviroment.

Eggert
Old 04-25-2007, 02:14 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by texas911
Oh man, now this is getting silly. Yea, the emissions on a giant 6L V-8 is exactly the same as a 1.5L 4 cylinder engine!

And re. the battery...

You mean unlike the millions of millions of LEAD ACID batteries out there already in conventional cars? Or am I rationalizing that part?
How many batteries does a Prius have? I don't know, educate me. And yes.. LEAD ACID batteries are not exactly environmentally kind.. BUT.. I never bought one thinking it was. What's your point?
Old 04-25-2007, 02:16 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ray S
Don't knock Chevy's. As far as Chevy's lasting over 100,000 miles, take a look at the odometer during your next cab ride. Chevy has been making everything from cop cars to taxi cabs for years and the cabbies in the Chicago area regularly drive them beyond 300K.
I'll admit, that part of my post was made in jest. Maybe the Hummer will got 300k miles. I doubt it will last any longer than the Prius... unless Toyota is going to recycle the entire car every 100,000 miles. LOL

PS. I don't take cabs.. too many bad experiences.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:46 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

As Jerry Garcia sings in Uncle John's Band...

"Ain't no time to hate, barely time to wait,
Woh - oh, what I want to know, where does the time go?"

I love the Prius because it saves gas... more for me and my hungry gas hogs . Plus, the creator of Seinfeld's Larry David drove one on "Curb Your Enthusiasm" for a while, one of my favorite guilty pleasures in life.

Steve R
Old 04-25-2007, 03:12 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 915 Likes on 553 Posts

I've been too busy contending with my one square of TP per day to give a $h!t about gas mileage and battery recycling and total emissions output.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Originally Posted by RallyJon
tend to attract the most loathesome, self-centered people.

Wait! I thought that was Porsche!

I like the Prius because people have forgotten to hate Porsche drivers.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:16 PM
gr8nine93
Instructor

I did a lot of research before making a purchase of an 07 for my wife and the hibreds did not pan out. We opted for a 15ppm MBZ ML320 CDI. 30 MPG, safe and green. THe reason those Prius drivers go so slow is they know if they hit anything they are toast.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Cool Hate all you want my friends, but I have one....

so does my daughter. She has the 2006 model with leather interior and a camera to the rear. One of the better features of the Prius, NO sun top offered.

I drive the pants off this car, pedal to the metal. It has a really snappy start off the line...have fooled a few with this little car.

Here is the good part, I am 6'2", 260 (I know, I need a diet)....I fit in the car just fine. When I pull up to the pump for a fill up....$30.00 maximum. I get about 40 mpg because I always have my foot in it.

At 108 mph (Governed top speed), the car gets 25 mpg ...not too shabby. Hate us Prius drivers all you want....we don't care. We are smug because of the $30 fill up.

However, we wont be so smug when it is time to change out the battery...a major expense. My local Toyota dealer has not changed one yet....but I hear they are thousands...which kills off any savings we had accumulated over the years.

Last thing, in Cali, the Prius is eligible for stickers that let solo drivers navigate in the car pool lane...now that is where we feel really smug.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:35 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Martin S.
so does my daughter. She has the 2006 model with leather interior and a camera to the rear. One of the better features of the Prius, NO sun top offered.

I drive the pants off this car, pedal to the metal. It has a really snappy start off the line...have fooled a few with this little car.

Here is the good part, I am 6'2", 260 (I know, I need a diet)....I fit in the car just fine. When I pull up to the pump for a fill up....$30.00 maximum. I get about 40 mpg because I always have my foot in it.

At 108 mph (Governed top speed), the car gets 25 mpg ...not too shabby. Hate us Prius drivers all you want....we don't care. We are smug because of the $30 fill up.

However, we wont be so smug when it is time to change out the battery...a major expense. My local Toyota dealer has not changed one yet....but I hear they are thousands...which kills off any savings we had accumulated over the years.

Last thing, in Cali, the Prius is eligible for stickers that let solo drivers navigate in the car pool lane...now that is where we feel really smug.
Pay me a 15K surplus for my econobox and I will ensure that you only pay $30 for a fill up, and it will not even be a hybrid with he battery issues.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:12 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"It has a really snappy start off the line...have fooled a few with this little car."

I agree. If you haven't driven one you should. Electric motors produce max torque from close to zero RPM so it 's faster off the line than you think (but no 993). That's why Lexus is starting to use hybrid technology in some of it's high powered sedans. You have the extra oomph when you need it but don't have to have all those extra cubes sucking gas when you don't use them.

"THe reason those Prius drivers go so slow is they know if they hit anything they are toast."

I checked the data on this before I got one for the wife. These are actually far better than average crash wise. However, if a big SUV t-bones you in this or any other car smaller than the SUV (including a 993) you'll have a problem. I'm not sure I want to try to drive through a flooded street with a 200 volt battery in the trunk either. By the way, I drive an '87 300d most days.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:20 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
I'm not sure I want to try to drive through a flooded street with a 200 volt battery in the trunk either.
I never even thought of that - I wonder what happens
Old 04-25-2007, 04:22 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
I'm not sure I want to try to drive through a flooded street with a 200 volt battery in the trunk either.
Originally Posted by pcar964
I never even thought of that - I wonder what happens
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.

Finally an honest post from a Prius owner.

If you look at the true mileage these cars return vs a very fuel efficient conventional car (or better still a good european diesel car) the economics are questionable especially when you consider dumping all the battery waste at some point down the road.

The free ride you get in the car pool lane is just a joke (but you get the last laugh). I would expect nothing less from the California legislature. The same bozo's that want to sue the car mfg's for CO2 emissions.

Quick Reply: I hate the Toyota Prius