Sponsored by:

So, how bad is it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
I have never seen that much damage from a 10-15 mph accident....what the hell was she driving? That damage makes it look like you hit a cement truck or K rail.

ZP44

1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon. I hit her in the rear arch of the front wheel well and that poked out the headlight and split the fender. It may have been a higher MPH, but I was a bit busy trying to avoid her, I missed the speedo reading
Old 04-09-2007, 05:49 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Black993
It may have been a higher MPH, but I was a bit busy trying to avoid her, I missed the speedo reading
Can't say as I'd know my own speed under the same circumstances..... I hope the repair work turns out well for you....Good Luck

ZP44
Old 04-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Black993
Drifting

looking at parts from pelican and just for the major panels (hood,fender,front bumper) its easily over 5k and that's before all the smaller parts, materials, and labor. have a feeling we'll be up towards $10k in a hurry. whatever is left, if anything, of the 10k ill be asking to have for the diminshed value.

they actually have no time limit in which to appraise the car so it could continue to sit but hopefully will be looked at today.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Black993
Drifting

I had a chance to get by the body shop and get some better pictures. I hope you all will take a look and tell me anything else you notice. I'm particularly worried about the drivers side inside panel of the trunk area. I didn't take close enough note in the week I had the car to see if this appears normal or not. There are several shots tagged with some comments in the below link.

The car was looked at today by the adjuster but he wants the body shop to tear it apart tomorrow so he can come back for further inspection on thursday. At least the ball is rolling now. Anyway, on to the pictures!

Please comment on anything you can. Much appreciated!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17195131@N00/
Old 04-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Justin,
Hard to tell by the pics about the drivers side inside panel of the trunk. I'm sure the body shop guy will tell you.
Since you are limited on the funds from her insurance co. call Sunset Porshce. http://www.sunsetimports.com They sell parts pretty cheap - so to speak. The guys in the parts area are all great.

Someone on the board recently replaced all his fender liners and was selling the old ones. I couldn't find the thread though. Anyone remember who that was?
Old 04-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Black993
Drifting

Yeah, I've seen a lot of good posts about sunset. I'll pass it along to the body shop guys just in case.

anyone know who has the best price on the euro front bumper by any chance? Checked with Gert and ViperBob so far
Old 04-10-2007, 09:15 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Ocean
Someone on the board recently replaced all his fender liners and was selling the old ones. I couldn't find the thread though. Anyone remember who that was?
That was me. They sold on Ebay a few weeks ago. The buyer was restoring a 993 GT2.

Andreas
Old 04-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Black993
Drifting

Finally got an estimate today. Looks like its about $6100 but they will not be replacing the hood (according to the estimate). I think I'll be speaking with the adjuster about the hood since it will need some work on one edge that I'm positive will crack if they just bondo it up. Everything else will be used OEM parts and thank goodness it looks, like was suspected, that its all just cosmetic stuff and no internal damage
Old 04-21-2007, 12:30 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 694 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Black993
Finally got an estimate today. Looks like its about $6100 but they will not be replacing the hood (according to the estimate). I think I'll be speaking with the adjuster about the hood since it will need some work on one edge that I'm positive will crack if they just bondo it up. Everything else will be used OEM parts and thank goodness it looks, like was suspected, that its all just cosmetic stuff and no internal damage

Her insurance company is paying? If so, I'd definitately approach them on "diminished value", especially since they've gotten off very lightly with no injuries or rent car cost. After all, you would definately not be able to sell the car for close to what you probably paid after it's been hit and it's her insurance company's job to make you whole. Or, with tongue firmly in cheek, you could suggest to them that they buy the car for what you have in it, pay to fix it and then sell it for about a net loss of $20K. (Makes 3-5K in dimished value look like a steal....)

Hope everything is finally on the right track.

-Jim
Old 04-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Black993
Drifting

Considering the adjuster so far isn't willing to replace the hood, I doubt they're going to go for the diminished value of the car. Worth a shot, but how to prove it?

perhaps thats a topic for another thread?
Old 04-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,005 Likes on 1,777 Posts

Frankly, I don't know why you'd want the hood replaced. Maybe the pictures don't show it well but I only see very minimal, repairable damage. If you're worried about diminished value, replacing the hood will only document a higher degree of damage and add to the repair bill. The pictures look ugly but they only show cosmetic damage to the bumper and the fender with a nick on the hood and $6k supports the fact that there may not be structural damage. They'll have to blend to the door and the hood so the hood would have to be sprayed anyway.

$6k in damage is nothing on these cars. I know of two 993s that have had front end damage and the repair bills were $15k and $50k and no that's not a typo. I saw both cars before the repairs and they didn't look much worse than yours except they had structural damage.

For your peace of mind, if I was buying your car and you showed me the pictures and bills for $6k in repairs, I wouldn't think much of it. The car with $50k in damage belongs to a friend and it's one of the tightest, nicest turbos around and you'd never know that the car has been in an accident.

My biggest concern would be finding a shop that will do a perfect job. That shouldn't be that tough in Florida.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:45 PM
allill
Drifting

Get another estimate from a shop that you know and trust (not sure if those two go together)!
Old 04-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Black993
Drifting

Originally Posted by LJ in Van
Frankly, I don't know why you'd want the hood replaced. Maybe the pictures don't show it well but I only see very minimal, repairable damage. If you're worried about diminished value, replacing the hood will only document a higher degree of damage and add to the repair bill. The pictures look ugly but they only show cosmetic damage to the bumper and the fender with a nick on the hood and $6k supports the fact that there may not be structural damage. They'll have to blend to the door and the hood so the hood would have to be sprayed anyway.

$6k in damage is nothing on these cars. I know of two 993s that have had front end damage and the repair bills were $15k and $50k and no that's not a typo. I saw both cars before the repairs and they didn't look much worse than yours except they had structural damage.

For your peace of mind, if I was buying your car and you showed me the pictures and bills for $6k in repairs, I wouldn't think much of it. The car with $50k in damage belongs to a friend and it's one of the tightest, nicest turbos around and you'd never know that the car has been in an accident.

My biggest concern would be finding a shop that will do a perfect job. That shouldn't be that tough in Florida.
Thats a bit more relieving to hear. The only thing that concerns me with the hood is the bottom corner . Its actually gouged out of the metal and I'm sure it will have to be filled. Considering its a part that gets shut hard I'm worried about the filler cracking. Perhaps its an unfounded fear, maybe someone can elaborate...

Quick Reply: So, how bad is it?