Sponsored by:

So, how bad is it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 12:27 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chef_jmr
I think your neck is sore and your back is stiff, too, and there's no way you can work at your $500/hr job...

(that's what a Californian would usually say, forgive me...)

funny you say that. I hit an old Caprice wagon. Figured she would have been falling on the ground. At first the cops said they were unsure of who's fault and since FL is a no fault...neither of us would be charged. That changed as they noticed she came the wrong way down the 2 lane highway to get to the median.

Is it unreasonable to ask for a rental car allowance as well as the cost of fixing the car? I've been lucky and never involved in anything like this before so I'm not 100% sure what I can and cannot ask for. Guess the worst they can say is no, right?
Old 04-03-2007, 12:31 AM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

I think your policy will stipulate rental car allowance, but it never hurts to demand it from your/her's insurance (don't ask, demand). And, as always, don't take the first "no" as an answer...works most of the time. And, good luck! It'll be ready for the road in no time. Get that euro bumper and suspension fixed ()

As I write this your state's university won the Final Four, congrats if you care, I didn't, that's why I'm on the internet.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:35 AM
Black993
Drifting

Originally Posted by chef_jmr
I think your policy will stipulate rental car allowance, but it never hurts to demand it from your/her's insurance (don't ask, demand). And, as always, don't take the first "no" as an answer...works most of the time. And, good luck! It'll be ready for the road in no time. Get that euro bumper and suspension fixed ()

As I write this your state's university won the Final Four, congrats if you care, I didn't, that's why I'm on the internet.
YES! I'm a huge Gator fan! can't believe they did it again!
Old 04-03-2007, 12:38 AM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Black993
YES! I'm a huge Gator fan! can't believe they did it again!
Then go enjoy the post-game!
Old 04-03-2007, 12:51 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

So sorry to hear this. Should you be interested, I have a spare windshield washer fluid tank. It's the original part from my '95 and is fully functional.

Andreas
Old 04-03-2007, 08:27 AM
Black993
Drifting

Originally Posted by AOW162435
So sorry to hear this. Should you be interested, I have a spare windshield washer fluid tank. It's the original part from my '95 and is fully functional.

Andreas
Will def. keep that in mind.

This brings up a question though. They seem to think it will be a least a month before it can be back in my hands due to parts availability. Is there any merit to that? How scarce are these parts?

didn't sleep a bit last night, instead I was up thinking about what I could have done differently to avoid this. And to think, all this happened because I needed a $5 can of never-dull
Old 04-03-2007, 08:32 AM
Black993
Drifting

can finally add some images I think now. maybe this will help determine how bad it is...

sorry for the bad cellphone pictures
Attached Images   
Old 04-03-2007, 08:56 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Black993
This brings up a question though. They seem to think it will be a least a month before it can be back in my hands due to parts availability. Is there any merit to that? How scarce are these parts?
I would not call any of the parts 'scarce'. Rather, some will be in stock within Porsche's US supply chain, while others will need to be sourced from Germany. I've ordered quite a few parts (many actually) through Sunset Porsche, and it's never taken more than a few weeks for the most obscure of parts to arrive.

I would be fine waiting a month if it means that the repair work was carried out correctly and with factory parts.

Andreas
Old 04-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Lawrence_P
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's going to be fine. The damage is minor and "diminished value" ... let's face it, these aren't Bugattis. It will be back on the road in three weeks so take a day and start to think abouth what you might have fixed or upgraded while you are there.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry you have to go through this. I was backed into on my front passenger side not long ago so I know a bit of what you are going through.

I does probably look worse that what it is. From the pics I would think mostly cosmetic.

When I had mine repaired, I ordered the euro turbo bumper from Gert. It comes with the clear corners too. It actually cost lest than what the insurance co gave me for my old one, but I had the US turbo bumper. If you get the bumper from Gert, I bet it will arrive before the fender, even if there is a fender in the US. I agree with Andreas that Sunset is a good place to contact. When I spoke with them they did show fenders in the US.

Make sure you go to a good shop who you can get references on.

I imagine it will run around $7,000 to $8,000 to fix it and month is about right unless you find a shop that will jump on it and stay on it until it's done.

You shouldn't have any problem getting a rental car out of her insurance.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:33 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, I'm sorry to hear about your accident. In a few weeks this will be fixed up and you will be enjoying the dream again. It is a major bummer but not the end of the world!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:34 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
I would not call any of the parts 'scarce'. Rather, some will be in stock within Porsche's US supply chain, while others will need to be sourced from Germany. I've ordered quite a few parts (many actually) through Sunset Porsche, and it's never taken more than a few weeks for the most obscure of parts to arrive.

I would be fine waiting a month if it means that the repair work was carried out correctly and with factory parts.

Andreas
I was down at my body shop the other day and there is a 993 that required the front supporting rail that runs across the trunk tub between the headlights. That rail is unobtainable in the Porsche network right now and is not, according to Porsche, available until 2009. Porsche has to do a new press run and will not commit to a date. So, there are parts that are really hard if not impossible to get. I do not understand a company that does not have major body parts for a car that was manufactured less than 10 years ago (well, I do, its the cost of inventory).

Fenders, hoods, etc. are OK.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-03-2007, 09:52 AM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not as bad to repair as it looks. Structure is fine. You'll be on your wheels in no time.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:08 AM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you come to Orlando for the repairs. Check with Zotz for the right shop. It would be a pity not to get it done right. Do not let the other insurance company push you into into one of their approved shops. Also, once in the shop, you may want them to wet sand the whole car and make it look brand new! Other rennlisters have done it with success.
As others have said, if the front suspension is affected, now is the time to drop it and get it replaced with ROW height. It will be a HUGE difference. and there is no doubt the other insurance is responsible for the alignment and corner balancing.
I cannot wait to see it after she is done.
Hang in there.
Ron
Old 04-03-2007, 03:22 PM
Black993
Drifting

I've seen Gerts name quite a bit in my searches and such. Does he go by that name on the forums, and if not how might I get in touch with him. I would love to do the euro front bumper and probably headlight washer delete.

Not a bad idea on the wet sanding of the whole car too!
Good to see that most of you think its not as bad as it looks. Puts me at ease a bit. I'm still waiting on the adjuster to call me back. Its at a reputable place, they work on some higher-end stuff here in the area and the owner is a family friend so I have faith in them.

Thanks for all the support!

oh, and what might ROW height be? Still learning my rennlist acronyms

Quick Reply: So, how bad is it?