Sponsored by:

So, how bad is it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tj90
Do you have uninsured driver coverage? Let your ins. co. track down the scumbag....
To be completely honest I have never even heard of this. My insurance co.(I use Allstate) never bothered to mention it either. That could have come in handy.

adjuster will be looking at it monday according to the body shop. lets hope that's true. I know it will take time to fix but damn I miss it and just want it back (but done right!)
Old 04-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Black993
I know its hard to tell, but can you all possibly shed some light on possible cost from the pictures that were posted? I understand there may be damage underneath what can be seen.
Maybe this will give you some idea.
Here is a pic of the damage done to my car.

It required a new fender, new headlight assembly with Litronic, new front bumper and new seals.

Here is the invoice for the repairs. Total was about $6,890.
This invoice does not include the cost of new front bumper because I bought it directly from Gert and had it shipped to the body shop. I also had them delete the washer nozzles.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:50 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Blue Ocean
Maybe this will give you some idea.

It required a new fender, new headlight assembly with Litronic, new front bumper and new seals.

Here is the invoice for the repairs. Total was about $6,890.
This invoice does not include the cost of new front bumper because I bought it directly from Gert and had it shipped to the body shop. I also had them delete the washer nozzles.
They really know how to "massage" an invoice on a Porsche.

The Ocean Blue units are always more expensive to repair
Old 04-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Rhino
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Blue Ocean]Maybe this will give you some idea.

Is that $38 labor rates I see on your invoice! Try $75-$110 here in California.

How did your car look after repairs?
Rhino
Old 04-08-2007, 05:17 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 694 Likes on 416 Posts

If you're not getting anywhere with her insurance company, report it to your state's Insurance Commissioner's office and you WILL get some action.

Even if her insurance only covers $10,000 (I doubt it), she's responsible for anything additional. Your insurance company should really be helping you on this, even if they need to pay and subrogate. That's one of the things insurance companies are supposed to do.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Originally Posted by Rhino
Is that $38 labor rates I see on your invoice! Try $75-$110 here in California.

How did your car look after repairs?
Rhino
Yeah, I thought it was low too. May be because the shop had a deal with State Farm insurance who was paying for the damage.

The car turned out excellent!
Here are few after shots.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Black993
Drifting

Originally Posted by jimbo3
If you're not getting anywhere with her insurance company, report it to your state's Insurance Commissioner's office and you WILL get some action.

Even if her insurance only covers $10,000 (I doubt it), she's responsible for anything additional. Your insurance company should really be helping you on this, even if they need to pay and subrogate. That's one of the things insurance companies are supposed to do.
Interesting. It was my understanding that I would pay the deductible on my insurance and they would cover the rest that was beyond her $10k in coverage (if it gets to that much). I have yet to contact my company "on the record" as I spoke with a long-time customer of mine who is an agent and told me not to deal with my company until a VERY last resort.

At this point, I dont care who pays (as long as its not me). I'm having withdrawals and its only been a week!
Adjuster should be looking at it tomorrow, keep your fingers crossed for me
Old 04-08-2007, 10:25 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you need to speak with a professional ASAP, perhaps even a lawyer dealing with insurance cases (contact me if needed, I can help in the Orlando area). remember, it is NOT only an issue of the repairs and their costs, but also you need to get reimbursed for the add depreciation to your car's value once it will have a CARFAX that will show an accident. Last but NOT least, it is NOT your obligation to pay for her deductible. Someone is feeding you a lot of poop and you must be very careful. Can you post the name of her insurance? I can make a few calls.
Good luck
Ron
Old 04-08-2007, 10:52 PM
Black993
Drifting

Originally Posted by 95FL993CAB
I think you need to speak with a professional ASAP, perhaps even a lawyer dealing with insurance cases (contact me if needed, I can help in the Orlando area). remember, it is NOT only an issue of the repairs and their costs, but also you need to get reimbursed for the add depreciation to your car's value once it will have a CARFAX that will show an accident. Last but NOT least, it is NOT your obligation to pay for her deductible. Someone is feeding you a lot of poop and you must be very careful. Can you post the name of her insurance? I can make a few calls.
Good luck
Ron
Ron,

I didn't mean to imply that I would pay her deductible, but one of my own should the damage be more than $10k and I would then need to go through my insurance company (some think it may very well be that high).
I have been told of the depreciated value issue and it is very important to me that I recover the amount that will be lost due to her careless behavior. I have been told to be careful in persuing this though as it isn't a 100% assured thing and I will need to pay court costs and lawyer fees should I not prove my side of the case for diminished value.

She is insured by Mercury. I've heard mixed things about them paying/not paying out and tomorrow will be a week since the accident and NO ONE has been to look at the car. I keep getting told it will be another 48 hours, another 24 hours, tomorrow, etc. If the car has not been looked at tomorrow by the adjuster, the person who is "handling" the claim is going to have an earful first thing Tuesday morning. I would be in TERRIBLE shape if this were my only means of transportation considering they informed me right off the bat that they would NOT cover a rental during the time its being repaired.

If you know of anything else I can do please send me an email
justinm2@cfl.rr.com
Old 04-09-2007, 12:05 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

A few thoughts-

You might want to consider getting your own estimate from a shop you would likely take the car for repairs as Mercury's adjuster will want to send you to someone THEY contract with. Mercury's shops are probably NOT the shops you'd want to use and you have EVERY right to choose the shop as long as charges are in line with what one would expect to pay for the type and kind of vehicle being repaired. Present the estimate to Mercury and demand that they make arrangements for the repairs and for the rent car by "X" date or you WILL contact the Insurance Commissioner.

You should NOT have to resort to suing to recover dimished value except as a last resort. It's something that you negotiate with her insurance company. If you get nowhere with them, it's time to contact the Insurance Commissioner again. (In an insurance company's view, getting a call from an annoyed Insurance Commissioner is like going to the dentist to have your wisdom teeth pulled.)

It's true that you'd contact your insurance company as something of a last resort.

I know a week seems like a long time when you're in the middle of this kind of thing, but it's not overly long. Settle down and focus. Work up a game plan and be reasonable/rationale with anyone you come in contact with regarding this case.

If you don't need a rent car, make a big deal out of the fact that you're reasonable and are trying hard to work with them. It's amazing how small and petty Mercury will then appear to the Insurance Commissioner...

-Jim
Old 04-09-2007, 06:16 AM
Rhino
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Blue Ocean]Yeah, I thought it was low too. May be because the shop had a deal with State Farm insurance who was paying for the damage.

The car turned out excellent!
Here are few after shots.

Your car looks incredible! A fine example of an accident that pays off in the end.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Black993
Drifting

Originally Posted by jimbo3
A few thoughts-

You might want to consider getting your own estimate from a shop you would likely take the car for repairs as Mercury's adjuster will want to send you to someone THEY contract with. Mercury's shops are probably NOT the shops you'd want to use and you have EVERY right to choose the shop as long as charges are in line with what one would expect to pay for the type and kind of vehicle being repaired. Present the estimate to Mercury and demand that they make arrangements for the repairs and for the rent car by "X" date or you WILL contact the Insurance Commissioner.

You should NOT have to resort to suing to recover dimished value except as a last resort. It's something that you negotiate with her insurance company. If you get nowhere with them, it's time to contact the Insurance Commissioner again. (In an insurance company's view, getting a call from an annoyed Insurance Commissioner is like going to the dentist to have your wisdom teeth pulled.)

It's true that you'd contact your insurance company as something of a last resort.

I know a week seems like a long time when you're in the middle of this kind of thing, but it's not overly long. Settle down and focus. Work up a game plan and be reasonable/rationale with anyone you come in contact with regarding this case.

If you don't need a rent car, make a big deal out of the fact that you're reasonable and are trying hard to work with them. It's amazing how small and petty Mercury will then appear to the Insurance Commissioner...

-Jim
Excellent advice. The car is actually already as the body shop of my choice its just frustrating to know its not been looked at yet. I understand a week is not that long, and I dont mind waiting if the car is going to be done perfectly. I don't mind waiting on the body shop I should say. I DO mind waiting on Mercury while they are dragging their feet tryingi to get me to go through MY insurance company. The girl on the phone told me I may even want to go through my company "just to get it done". I had a good laugh at that one

Its just tough, I've only had the car 2 weeks today. A week of that has been sitting at the body shop......
Old 04-09-2007, 10:41 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Your body shop hasn't come up with an estimate, yet? Get one and submit it.

Take good notes on every conversation with Mercury and even record the conversations if you can. I think the Commissioner would be very interested in knowing how Mercury operates.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Justin,
Make nice the adjuster, they can be your friend.
Tell him these cars really take a hit in resale if they have been in an accident and not repaired with NEW OEM parts. Ask him to write up the estimate using NEW parts, not reconditioned.

Some insurance companies have a policy of writing only reconditioned parts, but if you use a good shop they don't mind sending in a suplement for more money to get a new original part.

I made friends with the adjuster who looked at my car and he did a great estimate. He pointed out everything as he went and even added things in that I thought was ok.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:24 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never seen that much damage from a 10-15 mph accident....what the hell was she driving? That damage makes it look like you hit a cement truck or K rail.

ZP44

Quick Reply: So, how bad is it?