Sponsored by:

Aftermarket HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 06:35 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your ballast has a hot and a ground that connect to the yellow(hot) and brown(ground). Look at the pics on page 4. I used a tap in (aka suitcase) connector becuase I wasn't smart enough to pull off the bullet connector (on the brown wire). Over the years I've learned that I can apply enough force or torque to make anything come apart or move. I've also learned how to fix things that weren't supposed to come apart or move. Presently my 2 main tools for fixing my car are pen and checkbook.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:46 PM
Surfer2001
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe dumb question, 35 watt or 55 watt, will both work? is the 55 watt the better one?
thanks in advance.

Last edited by Surfer2001; 01-25-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:06 AM
Surfer2001
Racer

Wow nobody will say, wonder why....Oh well looks like I'll go with the 55 watt version. These guys lifetime guarantee their stuff (even the bulbs) & they have the digital slim ballasts.

NO affiliation whatsoever: http://www.retro-solutions.com/
Old 01-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfer2001
Wow nobody will say, wonder why....Oh well looks like I'll go with the 55 watt version. These guys lifetime guarantee their stuff (even the bulbs) & they have the digital slim ballasts.

NO affiliation whatsoever: http://www.retro-solutions.com/
I have the 35W kit. I don't know if that directly translates to lumens, like regular bulbs do. For standard halogen bulbs, higher wattage will be brighter, and also draw more current.

I don't know if HIDs work the same way, as once the xenon gas is ignited, and lit, I don't think it gets any brighter with more current.

I guess I don't really have an answer for you becuase I don't know the details of xenon lamps and how they work, but I can say, the 35W version that I have, is very bright. I have the 4300K temp.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Surfer2001
Racer

Sorry guys just one more follow up to this extremely long thread. First, I’m not sure why all the discussion on the installation of these kits. There are only two wires to deal with, Brown (OEM) negative to Black, and Red to (OEM) Yellow positive. SO simple, anyway, I’m very happy that I waited a year and half to perform this No-Brainer upgrade, back when this started there were only 35 watt kits available. I purchased the Digital brand HID 55 watt slim kit from http://www.retro-solutions.com/ as I said no affiliation. This kit required absolutely no modifications to the bulb mount, and everything fit easily into the headlight enclosure. I installed both sides in 20 minutes. I’m extremely happy with my kit and the limited lifetime warrantee on all the parts including bulbs. Now driving at night seems like day, truly unbelievable.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HID's

...I'm not sure why all the discussion...Surfer2001
Because these are all Porsche guys here.

And we like to really savour these little upgrades.

And like richardew, my favourite tools are pen and check book, so my tech's installing my new kit, in a couple of months. In the meantime, the kit's at home, where I can admire it.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:04 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Now driving at night seems like day, truly unbelievable.
How does it seem to a cop coming the other way? Even with a sharp cutoff, that's a LOT of lumens.

Or are you using the 55w in the high beam?
Old 01-30-2009, 03:17 PM
LuftKuhler
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surfer2001,
Which model did you buy. I see several different models on the retro-solutions web site. I see it took only 20 minutes per side. Was this truly plug and play or did you have to cut/splice wires.

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-30-2009, 04:22 PM
willchao
Advanced

It truly is a 20 minute job. 30 minutes if you triple-check every step. In this thread, there are posts referencing a barrel connector. If you can put a bullet connector on your new HIDs to connect to the barrel you pull out of the OEM light, it is plug and play.

I was very nervous, bought the connectors and printed out & highlighted multiple pages of this thread, but once I got the headlight buckets out on the kitchen table, it was really a cinch.

Last edited by willchao; 01-30-2009 at 04:22 PM. Reason: content
Old 01-30-2009, 04:33 PM
LuftKuhler
Advanced

Will,

thnks for the feedback! which kit did you order? Are the numbers related to the bulb size? Just being lazy I suppose....

I'm looking at over 12" of snow in my yard now so i may not tackle this project until the thaw!
Old 01-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Surfer2001
Racer

Almost full plug & play, I plugged the hot lead from the kit (RED) into the factory connector that plugs directly to the H1 blub. I did not use the bullet connector that some others used. For the ground I used one of those blue connectors in the picture see page 1 post # 6 of this thread. If you are looking for a part number from the vendor its: SKU: SLIM-55W-H1

HERE is the exact link: http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/ser...D-XENON/Detail

By the way if you are in snow, that’s no excuse just pull the headlight enclosures out, and the do the job on your dinner table !!! LOL

Oh yea as for the police, no problem for me as most of my fam are in law enforcement. However, I certainly won't feel good if people are getting blinded. So far oncoming traffic has not been flashing their brights at me. I’m assuming that because my car is lowered with PSS9’s its not too bothersome.

ALSO I went with the 10000K color, the blue tint, looks very cool. if you are directly in front of the car, the blue is not that noticeable.

Last edited by Surfer2001; 01-30-2009 at 09:24 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-30-2009, 10:56 PM
willchao
Advanced

Originally Posted by LuftKuhler
Will,

thnks for the feedback! which kit did you order? Are the numbers related to the bulb size? Just being lazy I suppose....

I'm looking at over 12" of snow in my yard now so i may not tackle this project until the thaw!
Ebay Seller was FJT2000. Pretty cheap kit, but shipping kinda sucked. Kit required NO dremel of my buckets. Only thing I did was strip one wire, each side, on HID kit and put the bullet connector on. I connected the bullet with the barrel connector (think it was brown) that I pulled off the bucket.

Yes, need to specify "H1" as it is the size of the low-beem bulb.

You can do it...seriously. If I can, anyone can.

If you were in ATL and had a 6-pack of beer to share, I'd do it for ya.

Last edited by willchao; 01-30-2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: added content
Old 02-02-2009, 06:26 AM
Milu
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfer2001
. However, I certainly won't feel good if people are getting blinded. So far oncoming traffic has not been flashing their brights at me. I’m assuming that because my car is lowered with PSS9’s its not too bothersome.
How about the car in front? When you're blinding it in both side mirrors and rear view mirror?
Old 02-02-2009, 11:59 AM
LuftKuhler
Advanced

Surfer and Will

Thanks for the feedback. you convinced me I can do this...probably later this month as spring is near.

BTW, 6 pack...share????...definitely need a 12'er!
Old 03-17-2010, 01:02 AM
Surfer2001
Racer

UPDATE, it’s been just over one year and the passenger side is not lighting up. I followed the OEM warrantee instructions and swapped the ballast from side to side, they both worked for a few days then, again passenger side no workee.
I called retro-solutions and their sending a new set of bulbs, yes TWO new bulbs. They required $60.00 to send out the new bulbs, to be refunded when they receive my faulty ones. I’m a little disappointed they need 60 bucks, but that said it’s understandable.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HIDs