Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 12:01 AM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Itc- why would you spend $3,750- I am a purist also but this one is hard to justify as if you install IN the light housing, you can't see the product but only the "light". No holes to drill, it can be instantly returned to "stock"........
Old 12-06-2007, 01:11 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just seemed like it might be easier to go with an OEM kit, complete and keep the existing headlights for returning it to stock, if desired.
Just seems cleaner, less DIY.

I know the Euro to USD doesn't help, I'm sure the kit would be a bit cheaper from Sunset Imports.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:04 AM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

The original lights are really kept as stock- its plug and play BOTH ways of the conversion- at a moments notice you can bring it right back to the factory set up- no holes, no tell-tale signs.....

I know some good charities if you want to give away money......
Old 12-06-2007, 12:11 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have my halogen bulbs in the glove compartment for spares. The changeover takes minutes.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
Just seemed like it might be easier to go with an OEM kit, complete and keep the existing headlights for returning it to stock, if desired.
Just seems cleaner, less DIY.

I know the Euro to USD doesn't help, I'm sure the kit would be a bit cheaper from Sunset Imports.
I deliberated over this one for a couple years myself. For me, it wasn't so much the fear of an aftermarket kit, as wanting to get the auto-leveling lights. I did some research into it, however, and found that the OEM retrofit kit didn't have the auto-leveling lights either. The factory-installed Litronics in the Turbo (and presumably, non-Turbos with factory Litronics) cars do, however.

There are also apparently 2 different part numbers for each side (driver/passenger) of the Litronic lights; I was never able to get an authoritative word on the difference between the two, but perhaps it's the presence or lack of auto-leveling.

In the end, the lack of auto-leveling for the OEM retrofit kit is what made my decision easy. The aftermarket kit gave me the exact same functionality at 5% of the cost, with no holes to drill or factory wires to cut, so it's completely reversible.

-Chris
Old 12-08-2007, 06:42 PM
boubi
Instructor

I've just ordered on ebay, a 55W kit.
I'm waiting for the delivery, wondering at what place I' going to install the ballasts.
I saw that many of you have put them inside the headlights.
No problem of T° going too high in a such small and hermetic place ???
Old 12-09-2007, 04:29 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Okay, I've been watching this thread and will likely pull the trigger soon... however, there was no mention in this thread about how to get the headlight assemblies out. How much hastle is involved in that? The wiring does not look like an issue at all. I just don't know how to get the healights off and how to re-aim the lights if that is required.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Okay, I've been watching this thread and will likely pull the trigger soon... however, there was no mention in this thread about how to get the headlight assemblies out. How much hastle is involved in that? The wiring does not look like an issue at all. I just don't know how to get the healights off and how to re-aim the lights if that is required.
Open the boot of the car, pull back the carpet on the side near each headlight, and you'll see a metal lever positioned vertically, held in place with a black plastic clip. Push the clip down to release the lever, and rotate the lever towards the front of the car. This releases the headlight. Then just slide it out the front. Reverse for reassembly.

-Chris
Old 12-09-2007, 05:19 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Removing the assembly is easy, and is well described in the owners manual. So is aiming the headlight. I screwed up aiming the headlight though and stripped one of the adjusting screws. Ended up buying a new assembly. Oh well. It was still worth it. Anyone need a headlight assembly (right) cheap? Good for spotting airplanes as it points up.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:46 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I got my HID kit today and had them installed in about 20 minutes. It is VERY easy!!! They are awesome but now I hate the way the high beams are yellow and the lows are nice and white. Geuss I gotta change out the high beams now. For all of you that havent done this yet, it is a no brainer!
Old 12-14-2007, 10:53 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

CarreraX, who did you order yours from? I'm still waiting for mine...
Old 12-15-2007, 06:48 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I got it from a guy on ebay whose ebay name is HIDSIN Look at item number 120192446929. I emailed them and offered $99 shipped and they took it. They sent me a paypal invoice and I paid it and 5 days later I have my kit.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:39 PM
boubi
Instructor

Originally Posted by CarreraX
but now I hate the way the high beams are yellow and the lows are nice and white.
I feel exactly the same way !!
Old 12-18-2007, 02:23 AM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraX
I got it from a guy on ebay whose ebay name is HIDSIN Look at item number 120192446929. I emailed them and offered $99 shipped and they took it. They sent me a paypal invoice and I paid it and 5 days later I have my kit.
CarreraX, did you get the 5000k from this guy?
Old 12-18-2007, 08:35 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I ordered the 4500w ones. He doesnt list them but he has them. They are nice and white.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HIDs