Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: so it obviously isn't a 993 but will be my 'budget' track car this year...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 09:44 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: so it obviously isn't a 993 but will be my 'budget' track car this year...

I simply can't afford to keep going in my 993 (cost of brakes, tires, etc.) add up quick on the 993...

..but I'm hopelessly addicted to track (guess that makes me a track rat)

...PLUS I wanted to finally learn how to properly heel-toe sooooo

I was on a hunt for a cheap but reliable car that had halfway decent HP (but not instane hp.. since you can't have all 3 99.9% of the time -- cheap, fast and reliable don't usually compute)

...so anyway..

I just drove it home this past weekend (flew out to CT to pick it up)

here it is..

not to bad for 230hp factory stock...

..and yes, sadly this means my 993 is going to probably be parted out and sold in stock form... unless someone steps up by spring time to buy as is..

who knows, once I get really comfortable shifting, I might come back to another 993 in stick form if I miss it too much (driving a 993 on track)..

..but it would have to be once I'm securely employeed for a while again..

Right now my contract ends March 31st.. so after March 31st I'll have lots of time to start putting my 993 back to stock and selling off the g-fast bits.. and eventually the whole car once it's stock again.. (sigh)

What's really kinda scary sad is the cost of the neon SRT4 is less than the cost of the aftermarket parts I have invested in the 993 -- DOH! ..and I can probably pay off a good chunk of the neon with just the sale of the g-fast bits from the 993 (go figure)
Old 01-17-2007, 09:52 AM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Chris...pardon my ignorance, but is that a Front WD car?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:54 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 255 Posts

lights look like a cayman...had one those fly past me yesterday...like I was standing ..lol

10+ years ago..more like 13+ ...I saw neons running at SP track with carguys, and they were pretty impressive..
Old 01-17-2007, 09:55 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by AC993C2S
Chris...pardon my ignorance, but is that a Front WD car?

yes indeed it is a FWD

Dodge Neon SRT4 (turbocharged 4 cyl) 230hp in stock form (Mopar has stage 1 2 or 3 upgrades which I might consider in the future depending on how much I like or dislike it at the track)

Eric had a student in one last year and was really impressed with it's handling and power on the track with very little modifications...and I remember seeing it in action and being very surprised myself (notice student was a natural at the track so that helped)

I considered a miata as well to keep with RWD but I figured a change can be good as well..
Old 01-17-2007, 10:22 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

IMO, track pads and tires wont be much less for the new track beast. You will certainly have much less money tied-up in a [track] car, but track expenses wont be much less.

Congrats! I see you like red
Old 01-17-2007, 10:32 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by chris walrod
IMO, track pads and tires wont be much less for the new track beast. You will certainly have much less money tied-up in a [track] car, but track expenses wont be much less.

Congrats! I see you like red

well, I beg to differ..

A set of track tires for the 993 cost me $1200 minimum

..and I already priced out a set of track tires for this car at $656 (in 17") I COULD even go to 16s if those are cheaper still!

..and I priced the pads out at approximatly 1/2 the cost of the 993 big red pads (up to 2/3rds depending on brand)

PLUS this car is lighter (so hopefully won't go through tires and pads as often).. and all 4 corners will have the same size tire so rotation to different corners will be easier thus improving live of the tires IMHO.

...AND...

The biggie..

If I do some really stupid bonehead move like miss a shift and throw a rod, I can buy a replacment engine and trans for LESS than the cost of labor to install one in the 993.

For example, there is someone in chicago right now selling an 04 SRT4 engine and trans with only 18k miles on it for $1800. You cannot even buy a used 993 trans for that much less an engine block!

Tires on this car are either 225 45 17 or 225 50 16s at all 4 corners BTW.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:14 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

WOW...sounds like a great way to go to the track on the 'cheap" so-to-speak...I'm sure you will enjoy it Chris.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:20 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a friend that raced an SRT-4 in the touring car series (Rick Snyder- his brother is on the 997 forum). I think they did a lot of pioneering with it both because it was a new car and it was new to them. But it ended up being a fast and fun car.

I think you made a good choice for a car. If you're just going to do DE's and don't have to follow any rules you could get massive amounts of power out of the engine.

Have fun!
Old 01-17-2007, 12:28 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ColoradoMark
I have a friend that raced an SRT-4 in the touring car series (Rick Snyder- his brother is on the 997 forum). I think they did a lot of pioneering with it both because it was a new car and it was new to them. But it ended up being a fast and fun car.

I think you made a good choice for a car. If you're just going to do DE's and don't have to follow any rules you could get massive amounts of power out of the engine.

Have fun!

I've actually gotten a lot of info form Rick Snyder (small world huh?) I know he made mention of the 944 race car as well a few times...

...and I'd actually like to race it with NASA and possibly SCCA and get my comp license.

*(yet another reason to go with a cheaper car.. because in real competition door-to-door I won't be as heart broken if something should happen to damage parts of the body panels.. (body panels for neons abound in junk yards!)

My 1st focus will be getting used to the car and a decent suspension set up (but not mighty motons either) and some safety things squared away (you know, 5 or 6 point harnesses, roll bar, fire extinguisher, etc.)

..but since this car is also red (just worked out that way but not intentional) I might just move over my race seats from the 993 and put the stock seats back in there...

I can always find someone to buy the DAS BAR to offset the cost of a roll bar in the SRT4 as well..

Right now my goal is to NOT spend any money on the SRT4 other than from the sale of items from the 993 bits or overall sale of the 993 to pay off the car, have funds for some mods and money in the bank of course!

...so for example, the sale of my MY02 rims and tires will go towards a set of new race rims and tires for the SRT4 and roll bar... ...probably spring sale of brakes and DAS BAR will go towards better suspension for the sRT4... and so on...

..for now I'm just going to do the basic maintenance on the SRT4, get used to driving it, etc. and practice a bit of heel toe in the street where possible...
Old 01-17-2007, 02:16 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

Well, atleast it's a guards red neon!
Old 01-17-2007, 02:21 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey, why not - that Neon could be fun.
I recall seeing one at Summit Point; owner was going to take it to the Targa Newfoundland. Not sure if he ever did but made the 'cheaper if wrecked' argument pretty convincingly.
Counter argument comes from a friend that did this with a Subaru;; he found that the car just didn't hold up like a Porcshe (but then again, repairs are a lot cheaper there, too).
Good luck witht he job and the DE budget.
If I may ask - How come your 993 isn't selling?
Old 01-17-2007, 02:44 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Hey, why not - that Neon could be fun.
I recall seeing one at Summit Point; owner was going to take it to the Targa Newfoundland. Not sure if he ever did but made the 'cheaper if wrecked' argument pretty convincingly.
Counter argument comes from a friend that did this with a Subaru;; he found that the car just didn't hold up like a Porcshe (but then again, repairs are a lot cheaper there, too).
Good luck witht he job and the DE budget.
If I may ask - How come your 993 isn't selling?
I saw them running really well in the early 90's at SP....
Old 01-17-2007, 03:11 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love to see Neons with the inside rear wheel off the ground in a turn, looks cool but remember, it is a huge difference in handling and turn in points from any 911.

Have fun and try to keep the shiny side up.......................ZP44
Old 01-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks like fun. I wish they had a Neon SRT4 in PGR3.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:14 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck, Chris. Enjoy it.

It sounds like it will haul pretty good.

Quick Reply: OT: so it obviously isn't a 993 but will be my 'budget' track car this year...