Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: so it obviously isn't a 993 but will be my 'budget' track car this year...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:59 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow.. if I had your luck I might quit too

..sorry to hear this....

Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts
This is the key reason why I don't race anymore. You need a trailer, a truck of some sort, and a place to keep them. I remember getting 50 miles out of town on the way to Mid-Ohio once when the trans on my Dodge van started slipping. Back to the shop, beg a racing friend to lend a van, move all the spares over to the 2nd van. Then during the race I hit an oil slick while running 3rd and shortened the car by a foot, and stretched my back by an inch.

AND I remember standing in the alley outside my shop, just after a rainstorm, arc-welding my trailer back togethter so I could tow 9 hours to the SCCA runoffs at Road Atlanta.

AND I remember seeing flying squirrels and all kinds of other weird **** that wasn't really there while I drove alone, exhausted, thru the night.

AND I remember wondering why I was so far down on power and then coming back from the runoffs, dissassembling the engine and finding three broken piston rings.

(OK maybe there's more than one reason I don't race any more....)

hmmmm.....but now I'm much smarter and richer so I would never have these types of problems again, right....

Old 01-23-2007, 12:09 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Chris, BTW good luck on turning the 993 and with the new track car. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:12 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Chris, BTW good luck on turning the 993 and with the new track car. Thanks for your feedback.

thanks much and your welcome!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:58 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,764 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Then you're getting more life on RA1's than me! I'm getting 30 sessions on the rears, which at 25 miles/session comes to 750 miles life (7.5 days for me). Not sure how you're able to drive 200+ miles in one track day...you must be *really* fast.
i usually drive back to back session. basically i pay as if i had two drivers. i am TWO drivers (is that even grammatically correct?)

my record was 315 miles in ONE day. that record was broken by my friend at 360+ miles in one day.

by 800 miles, i have to take it easy on the RA1's. but being cheap, i forged on.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris: do you have an XBOX360? I would love to go "wheel to wheel" in Project Gotham with a real racer.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:25 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i usually drive back to back session. basically i pay as if i had two drivers. i am TWO drivers ...
Your split-personality aside, that's hilarious! I've never heard of anyone paying and driving double. I truly respect that.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ceboyd
wow.. if I had your luck I might quit too

..sorry to hear this....

Hey, Chris...didn't mean that post to be such a downer. I remember lots of good things too.....
--Racing in the Great Pumpkin in the fall at Nelson Ledges when the trees were turning...
--Pitting next to Paul Newman at Mid-Ohio when SCCA was the support race for a Trans-Am....
--Qualifying 3rd out of 20 cars on a damp track during a hard-fought national because my brothers put slicks on instead of rains. (Won a regional once that way too.)
--Laying big black streaks down coming out from under the bridge at Road Atlanta.

I've got a lot of cool pics of victory laps in that old TR-6 and I wouldn't trade away those experiences for anything.

But damn, unless you're rich, it's a ton of work.

JoH
Old 01-23-2007, 04:21 PM
David '96 993
Pro

But damn, unless you're rich, it's a ton of work.
Ain't that the truth. You might want to add:

Have unlimited free time, a completely flexible schedule and no family or a VERY understanding family. Hard to miss kids birthdays, anniversaries etc... for a racing event.

JoH, your exhaustion comment is so true(and funny). My wife was more worried about me driving home one year from Laguna Seca than the time that I was on the track.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:44 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

yes, I have no wealth.... thus I've downgraded to a neon SRT4...

Quick Reply: OT: so it obviously isn't a 993 but will be my 'budget' track car this year...