993 Forum 1995-1998

Battery Charging

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Stuart993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Charging

My battery's dead and is in need of re-charging.
I read in the owners manual "If the battery is disconnected, the data for the engine electronics stored in the control unit will be erased"
Being a real novice with this car I'm loathed to screw things up, so choose not to do this. What's the procedure for charging the battery whilst fitted in the car?
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:56 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

I've been storing the car for years and years. Just get a proper slow charger to charge the battery properly and be done with it.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If the battery is completely dead it won't matter much if you disconnect it.

You need to charge the battery (duh!). There are ~1 amp (trickle) chargers, 2/10 amp chargers and >10 amp chargers. For a DEAD battery I would use a 2/10 charger, not a trickle charger and I would also disconnect the battery before charging. I would even consider pulling the battery to make sure no "boil over" from the charging occures inside the car. At the very least leave your trunk lid up while charging to let the charge gases escape your trunk.

Also, check the water level BEFORE charging and fill w/ distilled water if it needs any.

As far as the info stored in the DME, as long as you weren't planning on taking the car to get emmisions tested in the next few days it's not an issue, it will "re-learn" after a few drive cycles.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Stuart993
Advanced

Thanks for the information.
So, if I leave the battery fitted in the car, check the electrolye etc., connect the RED lead to the RED battery terminal, where does the BLACK lead connect to?
Thanks again.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

If the battery is being left connected in the car you could connect the black/ground to any metal part of the car, but I would connect it to the neg. term on the battery.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Stuart993
Advanced

Thanks Bill.
That's what was confusing me. The recharger manual say to connect the negative clamp to the chassis, but if it's OK to connect to the -ve terminal that's the answer.
What would be the problems is I remove the battery, apart from the radio code ?
Old 01-12-2007, 08:01 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the manual is just saying that the computerneeds to re-learn the car. I just replaced my battery and had no issues.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:26 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Stuart993
Thanks Bill.
That's what was confusing me. The recharger manual say to connect the negative clamp to the chassis, but if it's OK to connect to the -ve terminal that's the answer.
What would be the problems is I remove the battery, apart from the radio code ?
Follow the manual of the re-charger. Just this morning I recharged the battery and the black goes on a metal surface and the red on the battery.
If your battery is already dead then you have to input the radio code. It makes absolutely no difference if the battery is in the car or out of it. If it makes you feel comfortable, then remove the battery and re charge it out of the car.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Stuart993
Advanced

Thank you gentlemen.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:01 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Also, make sure the battery vent tube is properly connected and exits the outside of the car.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Stuart993
Advanced

Vent tube?
At first glance I can't see anything. The battery installed is the non maintainable type, no way to check any electrolyte levels or anything else for that matter.
Where would I find this vent tube?
Thanks again.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:25 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm mystified as well...
Old 01-12-2007, 11:13 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A photo of your battery would be helpful. If it is an acid battery you should be able to check the water level. This is not for a 993, but will provide you info what I mentioned with vent tube. http://www.industryfigure.com/berkel...he/battery.htm I am just concerned if you battery lacks water, and is not vented properly it could a potential battery explosion if you charge a high amps.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:31 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a dead Optima, my dealer is charging it (my charger indicated it was too low to charge). I was told a Battery Minder or something like it wouldn't keep it charged as Optimas required a charger to charge with 6v min. I don't know if I believe that, anyone have info on maintaining an Optima?
Old 01-13-2007, 01:10 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by David 23
I have a dead Optima, my dealer is charging it (my charger indicated it was too low to charge). I was told a Battery Minder or something like it wouldn't keep it charged as Optimas required a charger to charge with 6v min. I don't know if I believe that, anyone have info on maintaining an Optima?
That's why I suggested using the 2/10 amp charger if the battery is dead. Some of the newer (gel) type batteries requre a much higher amp charger to get them charging (if they're completely discharged) and also to get them to a fully charged condition. Trickle chargers will "maintain" a gel type ok, but will not fully charge a gel.

I think there are now some trickle chargers that will maintain a gel better (Battery Tender Plus, is one I think) but most basic maintainers won't.

Quick Reply: Battery Charging