993 Forum 1995-1998

Battery Charging

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 01:40 AM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David 23
I have a dead Optima, my dealer is charging it (my charger indicated it was too low to charge). I was told a Battery Minder or something like it wouldn't keep it charged as Optimas required a charger to charge with 6v min. I don't know if I believe that, anyone have info on maintaining an Optima?
I just replaced my 9 month old Optima Red top. I didn't have a maintainer, just an old charger - when it would go down (2 to3 weeks) I'd just hook up the charger for a couple of hours then go. Until last week when it wouldn't start while I was out on the road. End result - new Optima.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
If your battery is already dead then you have to input the radio code. It makes absolutely no difference if the battery is in the car or out of it. If it makes you feel comfortable, then remove the battery and re charge it out of the car.
If you're going to use a low amp charger I would agree with leaving it connected is ok. However if you plan on using a charger greater than about 5 amps I would disconnect the battery from the car, I wouldn't want to take the chance of damaging the Alt. electronics or any other electronic parts. But that's just me.

We need to know what type of battery he has in the car, lead/acid or gel type, it makes a diff. for recharging a completely dead battery.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:57 PM
Stuart993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like an el cheapo one, right?

Old 01-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Stuart993
Looks like an el cheapo one, right?
I'm no batt. expert but it looks like a basic lead acid battery to me, not a gel. They're referred to as "sealed" batts. but most of the ones I've seen you can remove the cover over the caps and check the fluid. If the batt. is over 2 - 3 yrs or has been over charged I would recommend checking, other than that I wouldn't bother.

You shouldn't need to do anything special to charge it but if it's totally discharged it will take a day or 2 w/ a trickle charger. Personally I have 2 chargers, a 6 YO Battery Tender (non Plus) and a Sears 2/10 Automatic charger. The BT gets 90% of the work, I only use the 2/10 for initial charges on new batts. and for batts. that are seriously discharged.

HTH
Old 01-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

A battery kept fully charged by a maintainer will have a long life and always be ready to go.
Deep discharges shorten battery life a lot !
Guess it means that a maintainer is a pretty essential part of having a 911 !

Geoff
Old 01-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Stuart993
Advanced

That's it then, a new battery and battery maintainer are required.
What are the best products?
I've seen on here:-
Battery = Optima Red Top
Maintainer= BatteryMINDer
Any suggestions?
Old 01-13-2007, 10:07 PM
shu
Racer

Thats what Ive been thinking about......new battery and maintainer! Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:15 AM
Stuart993
Advanced

Bump!
Old 01-14-2007, 01:19 PM
Stuart993
Advanced

Any suggestions?
What Optima model type would fit into the 993?
Old 01-14-2007, 03:58 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

That's it then, a new battery and battery maintainer are required.
What are the best products?
I've seen on here:-
Battery = Optima Red Top
Maintainer= BatteryMINDer
Any suggestions?
If you're going to get an Optima you'll want a charger that is compatable w/ the gel type batteries, Battery Tender Plus, AccuMate makes one I think too. I really don't believe the Porsche maintainer is designed for gel's.

As I said before any maintainer will charge a gel but won't fully charge it. They also won't charge them if the battery is too weak.

Personally, I have an Interstate (lead acid) battery, direct replacement for the Porsche battery. Apx. $125.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Stuart993
Advanced

Thanks again Bill.
Hopefully this will be my last question on the subject, would this code saver work?
Not bad for $8 + shipping
Code Saver
Old 01-16-2007, 01:58 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David 23
I have a dead Optima, my dealer is charging it (my charger indicated it was too low to charge). I was told a Battery Minder or something like it wouldn't keep it charged as Optimas required a charger to charge with 6v min. I don't know if I believe that, anyone have info on maintaining an Optima?
Not true. I have used a Schumacher Battery Maintainer on the Optima Red top in the 993 for 5 years, works perfectly.

Optimas require a really heavy duty charger to recharge a flat battery as they draw a LOT of amps. When I left my Valentine One on shortly after getting the Optima, it drew it down to 6 Volts in 5 days. My 4 amp charger started to smoke when I connected it! I took the battery to Pep Boys, where I had recently bought it, and they had it up and running in about an hour and a half.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Thanks again Bill.
Hopefully this will be my last question on the subject, would this code saver work?
Not bad for $8 + shipping
Code Saver
I have no idea if this will work, I've never tried one. The first step would be to see if the cig. lighter still gets power w/ the key off (I think it does but not sure). Other than that I don't know, sorry.

Quick Reply: Battery Charging