993 Forum 1995-1998

Project: Custom Spoiler Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 12:20 PM
cowtown
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leeshephard
any update to this project? I think the best solution is a plug and play replacement unit...
I had a guy out East building and testing one, but he's not answering PMs any more. Dunno what happened to him. I'm still using the first unit I built in my car, and I like it a lot. It's been reliable.

I've run two group buys for the "Raycm 993 OBD1 codereader" now, and to be honest, it's just a ton of work and administration. With 2 small kids and a job, I don't think I'll be getting into this business.

I would be open to turning the code and schematics over to someone on Rennlist who wants to pick it up as an open source nonprofit thing like the OBD reader. If someone wants to buy the stuff and make money on it I'd consider that too. Honestly though, this seems like a niche product without a whole lot of demand. Sure was fun to figure out how to build it, though.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:50 PM
wayne993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think I'll go with the RS spoiler.... less problems.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gjtrek,

LA5NPA here

Regards
Eggert
Old 05-24-2007, 06:10 AM
leeshephard
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Colin I understand your reluctance to commit yourself to this project, as a Dad of one I find that I have next to no spare time so with two it would be a nightmare!

Although I earn my living these days as a sound engineer I do have a background in electronics and also have my own little bubble etch tank and have the PIC programmer etc

I would be willing to make a batch of pcb's and PIC IC's to send out..the other components look like they are easily available.

I cant promise that I would get to it right away...

How many boards/PIC's would we be needing you think?
Old 06-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Black993
Drifting

Does anyone have any more info on this project? It really seemed like a great idea!
Old 11-17-2008, 01:33 AM
3DE
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Would this work for a 964 as well? I would also prefer to be able to determine a more suitable raise/lower speed for in-town driving. In the meantime I just keep the spoiler raised all the time for in-town stuff.

Allow the spoiler to deploy automatically above 50mph. When the car is slowed to below 50mph, but not before the spoiler retracts again, tell the spoiler to go "up" (a clockwise twist on the 964 control). This will keep the spoiler deployed up even when you come to a full stop. It will stay up until you manually retract it (only below 50) or the next time the car is started.

I prefer the smooth lines of a retracted spoiler but at least this prevents the motor from running so much. Would be interested to know if the 993 works the same way.

-90 964 C2
Old 11-17-2008, 02:04 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, 993 works the same.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:26 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

4 years later, I'm still bummed this never saw the light of day. Wish some knowledgable electrical engineer would pick up where cowtown left off.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:48 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
Wish some knowledgable electrical engineer would pick up where cowtown left off.
I thought somebody was, otherwise my co-worker would design an elegant solution that is a mere fraction of the size using FETs instead of stone age relays and it would be fully user-programmable via Bluetooth.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I thought somebody was, otherwise my co-worker would design an elegant solution that is a mere fraction of the size using FETs instead of stone age relays and it would be fully user-programmable via Bluetooth.
I believe there have been discussions and small projects started, but to my knowledge nothing has been "brought to market"

If someone designed, tested and built 200 of these, and priced them ~$100, they would sell in a heartbeat.

I would buy one.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:51 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I would LOVE this! Sign Keith and me up for 1 each!!!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:07 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
I would LOVE this! Sign Keith and me up for 1 each!!!
Mojorizing is working on one when time permits, so there is one in the works.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...l#post10043013
Old 12-13-2012, 03:38 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Or just buy a freely programmable one from this company:

www.tacho-fett.de

I think the language is German only, can't remember.
I just noticed that the site is under construction.
Old 04-08-2023, 12:19 PM
riclin123
AutoX

Default Still out there..?

Originally Posted by cowtown
I wanted to share my latest project, a programmable spoiler control module for my 993. I've been looking around for alternatives to the stock unit, and the RUF is just way too expensive for what you get, IMO. So I spent twice what the RUF costs, and spent tons of time, to figure out how to make a complete replacement. Now THERE's a good return on investment! (For me, it was really about the challenge, and learning something about how the car works.)

The circuit is built around a 4MHz programmable microcontroller. There's some support circuitry to control the relays, a circuit to convert the incoming speed signal to something usable by the chip (TTL), and of course a stable power supply to run it all. The four LEDs indicate heartbeat, tail is up, tail is down, and "error" to indicate that a part (motor, switch, button, etc.) has failed. Everything is isolated or buffered so there's no direct connection between this board and the car's electronics.

The nicest thing about doing it this way is that spoiler behavior is totally configurable in software. The board links to a laptop using a serial connector and downloads its code, which then stays in memory indefinitely. I can change raising speed,lowering speed, and whether the console button is a one-touch manual operation.

Also threw in some more sophisticated rules, such as "only raise the tail if the car is above X MPH for Y number of seconds," to prevent the light-to light up/down/up/down pattern we know so so well.

Since it's got memory built in, some adaptive "learning" is also possible, such as detecting a series of traffic lights or stop-and-go freeway driving on your regular commute and adapting accordingly. Sky's the limit because it's all just code.

I've been using it for two week on my daily commute and back road drives, and it's working fine. I've currently got it programmed for tail-up at 65MPH, down at 15MPH, and "only raise if I'm above 65MPH for 10 seconds straight." I made the console button one-touch (not hold down), and allowed the button to manually lower the tail at any speed below 65MPH. The dash indicator in the clock could also be set up as a tail up/down indicator or whatever.

I'm working on putting the board into a nice anodized extruded aluminum box. It should look as good as stock. Right now I've had to fab up a male plug because I still haven't found the correct connector. All in all, this has been a fun project and I learned a lot about the car's circuitry.
Colin:

Joining a bit late but hoping that your project came to fruition and that these modules are available? I'd like to purchase one as I have the same issue with my 1996 993,,,

Thanks,
RML
Old 04-08-2023, 03:07 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 945 Likes on 478 Posts

If $450 is within appetite: https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/t-spoiler

Quick Reply: Project: Custom Spoiler Control Module