Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Congrats Hank Cohn on the SY 993 RS Clone Article in Feb '07 Excellence!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 04:22 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Congrats Hank Cohn on the SY 993 RS Clone Article in Feb '07 Excellence!

Hank - That was a very nice article on your SY 993 RS clone in the Feb '07 Excellence. Great looking car and if the article is correct, someone bought a very nice car! So when does the 993 GT2 project begin?
Old 12-22-2006, 04:56 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

The Feb'07 issue ? Jeez, I just got the Nov'06 issue in the mail .

Congrats Hank !
Old 12-22-2006, 07:24 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just read it!

Very nice Hank, we knew the car but it was cool to read about it in little more detail.

Who's the new owner, anyone here?

And I too want to know when 993 GT2 project starts...
Old 12-22-2006, 08:56 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

BTW, that whole issue is great, besides Hank's RS replica, there's article about "Porsche's super cars", 911 RS, that red 911 "R" clone...
Old 12-22-2006, 09:05 AM
Stephen Fisher
Instructor

Told my wife last night, the best issue I have ever read. Hank's war was a highlight.

SF
Old 12-22-2006, 09:14 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Running off to B&N now...

Thanks for the heads-up - and CONGRATS Hank!!

John
Old 12-22-2006, 09:57 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Hank, Congratulations! Nice job on the car too. I was really impressed with t he photos and the attention to detail. Someone got a really nice car. Great article.

BTW, I too thought it was one of the best Excellence issues I have seen.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys. The new owner lives in Texas and has already had it on the track several times. The car went to a good new home. It was great fun working with Excellence, and especially, Bob Chapman, the writer/photographer. I think he did a really nice job on the article and his pictures are incredible. I corresponded with the editor, Pete Stout, a few times and he is a seriously passionate Porsche guy. I know there are a lot of other project cars right here on the 993 board. You would be surprised how difficult it was to remember the order and timing of what and when you did it to the car. The receipts help, but I think I'll keep a journal next time.

Seeing the pictures of the car and reading the article made me think several times “What have I done?” I said many times that I would never sell that car as it was nearly perfect for driving around town a few times a month and something you could take to a club race and finish respectably. I guess there is nothing better for getting over the old project than a new project.

Merry Christmas to all and happy Porsche New Years wishes too.

Hank
Old 12-22-2006, 10:31 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

It was indeed a fantastic story. In fact, the entire magazine was a great read this time.

Andreas
Old 12-22-2006, 10:57 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am headed to borders too. Then to find a 993NB to clone.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:02 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone confirm if PCA will allow you to race a 993RS clone in C-Class. How far do you really have to go for them to consider it. I hear that it is possible. Do you have to use all RS Suspension componets or can you use newer aftermarket parts since suspension is open.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hank Cohn
Thanks guys. The new owner lives in Texas and has already had it on the track several times. The car went to a good new home. It was great fun working with Excellence, and especially, Bob Chapman, the writer/photographer. I think he did a really nice job on the article and his pictures are incredible. I corresponded with the editor, Pete Stout, a few times and he is a seriously passionate Porsche guy. I know there are a lot of other project cars right here on the 993 board. You would be surprised how difficult it was to remember the order and timing of what and when you did it to the car. The receipts help, but I think I'll keep a journal next time.

Seeing the pictures of the car and reading the article made me think several times “What have I done?” I said many times that I would never sell that car as it was nearly perfect for driving around town a few times a month and something you could take to a club race and finish respectably. I guess there is nothing better for getting over the old project than a new project.

Merry Christmas to all and happy Porsche New Years wishes too.

Hank
Hank,
I am mad at you for not telling me your car was on the market! That was/is a seriously great ride and you did a top notch job doing the conversion.
Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Greg
Old 12-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jaholmes
Can anyone confirm if PCA will allow you to race a 993RS clone in C-Class. How far do you really have to go for them to consider it. I hear that it is possible. Do you have to use all RS Suspension componets or can you use newer aftermarket parts since suspension is open.
For a starters, RS clone to be run as "RS", the driveline needs to be the same and that tranny & engine aren't cheap (I think you can convert the engine but still ain't cheap).
PCA used to allow RS clones with 3.6 l engines (well, it has less hp so it's not like you're cheating and gaining something from that) but are not allowing that anymore.
Basically it's the weight what us poor 993 guys would benefit if that was allowed. 993 is not very competitive in PCA club racing without that in IMO it sucks, if it weren't that way, I'd probably club race my 993 in PCA.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jaholmes
I can confirm. You have to do everything as the RS was. Alumium doors, hood, etc. Engine and transmission as well. Suspension is "free" so you can use what ever shocks you want.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hank, great car and a great article. Your contributions to this board over the years have been of equal quality.

Quick Reply: Congrats Hank Cohn on the SY 993 RS Clone Article in Feb '07 Excellence!