Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Garage Floor Treatment - What Do You Suggest?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 09:50 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Garage Floor Treatment - What Do You Suggest?

We just bought a new house... with his and hers separate oversized 2 car garages (yes!)

Has anyone done the newest treatments on the garage floors lately? We are way beyond Epoxy these days, right? If anyone has done this recently, I would love to know what you got and if you are happy with it. Also, would be great to know what this costs (?) PM is fine if preferred.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:03 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

I just found out about Garage Journal in the racing forum's garage thread - excellent info there: www.garagejournal.com
Old 11-30-2006, 10:14 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I painted my garage 1 yr. ago with the Rust-Oleum garage paint, was hoping for a nice looking, low cost, DIY option (~$100 for my 3 car). I cleaned the 8 yr. old concrete 3 times, used mild concrete acid cleaner, etc. Overall, I'm impressed with how easy it has been to keep looking nice/clean, but it has lifted a little and will scratch. Go with the "naturestone" product which is a epoxy and stone professional job if you are looking for perfection and money is not the limiting factor. I would be courious how others here have experience with the assorted tile products on the market, do they hold up?

Pic shows some scratches under car from abuse...

Last edited by JonH; 09-17-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:30 PM
EddieC
Rennlist Member

I just did mine with Race Deck. I like the way it goes down and the way it looks. Price wise, it's no steal, but nothing is. I highly recommend it!
Old 11-30-2006, 10:36 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious to see where this thread goes...

I had Premiere Garage come out and bid my 720 sq ft. 3 car garage floor with an aggrigate-look epoxy. $3200 and 5 days of having absolutely everything oout of the garage. Great looking floor, but that's alot of mod money!!

I'm thinking about commercial grade asphalt floor tiles (think school floors) in white and light grey checkerboard. I have learned of adhesives that resist limited amounts of water so I'll be able to hose out and squeege. It will require annual waxing and buffing, though... It will eventually melt under hot tires if you hit the same tiles every time, but the tiles are cheap enough to buy extras and replace as needed.

That's what I'm thinking until someone changes my mind!!!
Old 11-30-2006, 10:50 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

I did mine with the Rustoleum epoxy two years ago. It has stood up to ice, slush, salt, calcium, oil, brake fluid and hot R compound tires. I put down two coats which may have made a differece. Cost me 150 bucks for 500 s.f. Looks nice but not so nice that I cringe if I spill brake fluid on it. I figure I'll put on another coat in a couple of years. I've seen a new product, rubber tiles made from recycled tires. Very durable and not too expensive. Nice 'give' to it, tiles are 3/8 inch thick.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:09 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

lots of info here --> http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=61
Old 11-30-2006, 11:18 PM
EddieC
Rennlist Member

Here is what mine looks like. It's a color scheme that's not for everyone but for me it is perfect. It's a three car garage (about 840 sq/ft) and I put most of it down in one afternoon. There's a little cutting needed on two of the walls and around the cabinets, steps and so forth. All and all it's pretty easy.
Attached Images   
Old 11-30-2006, 11:54 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Wow, Eddie, that's some color combo! Is that RaceDeck? How much did 840 sq ft cost you?
Old 12-01-2006, 12:00 AM
yumyum1667
Racer

Here is an option. About $2.50 sq foot installed.

http://www.acidstainer.com/
Old 12-01-2006, 12:05 AM
Benton
Drifting

Originally Posted by EddieC
Here is what mine looks like. It's a color scheme that's not for everyone but for me it is perfect. It's a three car garage (about 840 sq/ft) and I put most of it down in one afternoon. There's a little cutting needed on two of the walls and around the cabinets, steps and so forth. All and all it's pretty easy.
AU colors?
Old 12-01-2006, 12:22 AM
EddieC
Rennlist Member

Not AU......I like to say it is GULF colors because it's a garage. But I did go to UF.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:44 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I put down rustoleum stuff 1.5 years ago on 12 YO concrete and it started lifting in a few areas. About 4 weeks ago when this thread came up, I bought another gallon and only mixed a 3rd of a gallon (its 2 part) and reedid the areas that were lifting as well as the areas that were stained from oil and from new tires. To Prep, I took the areas that I redid with an angle grinder and sandpaper and I think it its better than acid. Its holding up well and suprisingly matches the old paint very well. looking back, I should have mixed the entire gallon and just repainted the entire garage with a thin coat. that way there would not be any minor color differences between the old and new. Oh well, glad I redid the sections that needed attention. I found that if an area lifted, if not addressed, would get worse due to moisture etc.

I was down on epoxy, but now after redoing it, Im happy again...
Old 12-01-2006, 03:37 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fwiw:

after i had my garage drywalled & textured, i primed & painted all, then tiled my floors w/ armstrong flooring (see avatar). cheap (per tile) but has held up great & is easy to keep clean. cleaned & scrubbed concrete, then snapped a line & layed 'em down in a couple days w/ mastic. used the black rubber rounded floor edging/molding & black chaulk to finish. home depot had all the supplies.

fwiw: if i was to paint the floor, i'd use the stuff the airforce uses for it's hangars... avail onlline, just can't remember the source name. avail in white & greys, as well as blue etc... stuff is heat water res. & is non slip too.

here's one source (but not THE one i'm trying to remember) http://www.ironitecoatings.com/

just me... but i'd like to do the floor once & leave it. also, griot's makes a killer paint too.... http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=90017 suposed to be forklift friendly.

prep & etching is really important w/ painted floors. if prep sux, paint will lift.

bol
Old 12-01-2006, 07:54 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For my garage floors, I like the carefree casual elegance of oil-finished distressed concrete.

Quick Reply: Garage Floor Treatment - What Do You Suggest?