Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Garage Floor Treatment - What Do You Suggest?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 05:10 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess it wouldn't make much sense to put out a garage floor tile that trapped water and fluids and let them fester for months!?

Thanks 993 guys!
Old 12-04-2006, 05:39 PM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
Look great, but here's my question:

If I drive into my Swiss Trax floored garage with a wet car, or a car with slush or even snow on the bottom - where does the water go??
It just sits on top of the tile until it evaporates.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:43 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jimwood
It just sits on top of the tile until it evaporates.
So water doesn't get in between the tiles?
Old 12-04-2006, 05:48 PM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Exactly, the gap is pretty tight, and the water can't go through the diamond trex tile.

I have only had mine for a month or so, but I'm not worried about dirt and water getting through to the floor, which actually was one of my major concerns.

Edit: But as Eric has pointed out it depends on what tile you get. Some do have holes and the like which allows dirt and oil to get onto the floor.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:10 PM
EddieC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trout - I used Race Deck. If you go to their site, you can use their planning tool. Just get your garage size and start it up. The only problem is that it is a little slow. Swisstrax has a better tool for planning out your design. You just need to know that the Race Deck tiles are 12" and the Swisstrax ones are 13". Hey, my colors would be great for a Boise State fan. I don't know if you are one, but they would look good if you are. If you want to check out the colors or just take a good look at the tiles themselves, just contact them. Both companies will send you a sample in the colors you want.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:33 PM
SpecialtyConcreteCoatings
Banned

I'm late to this thread, but this is my area of expertise. I'm the lead tech in my company's concrete division. I've done tons of garage floors. Epoxy, vinyl flake, colored urethane, and colored grouts. Epoxy + PVA colored flake + a few top coats of glossy urethane is the way to go. If you'd like to know more, hit me up with a PM I can talk about this for days...
Old 01-23-2007, 03:11 PM
Mike A.
Instructor

Quote by AndyK
If I drive into my Swiss Trax floored garage with a wet car, or a car with slush or even snow on the bottom - where does the water go??

Two solutions to this...
1. Don't drive your Porsche in the snow or rain.
2. Put down a "Smart Park" mat. It will keep gallons of water off the tiles.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:11 PM
LC997C4s
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys take a look at www.ucoatit.com, I used it and am very happy with the results.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:26 PM
skicoach
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the garage floors in both my homes acid stained and sealed using a grit additive to the final seal coat. There are many color options, never any staining or peeling, realatively innexpensive, and looks really cool IMHO. This application is becomong very popular in reasturants for the above reasons.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Banned

as long as your existing concrete is in good condition then staining is an excellent choice. If you have a lot of cracking or other damage, then staining isn't the best option.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:40 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Epoxy + PVA colored flake + a few top coats of glossy urethane is the way to go.
JT,

Is that what you have on your garage floor?
Old 01-23-2007, 09:42 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

Is staining concrete a DIY option?

Originally Posted by SpecialtyConcreteCoatings
as long as your existing concrete is in good condition then staining is an excellent choice. If you have a lot of cracking or other damage, then staining isn't the best option.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:56 PM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

The problem with many coatings is that many concrete slabs do not have an adequate moisture barrier beneath them (10 mil poly). The coatings fail after enough moisture makes its way through the slab. In these cases, even the best preparation will not solve the problem. Also, the epoxies can have a shortened life if the concrete is not close to 100% cured prior to coating application. This can take longer than the 28 days it takes for the concrete to fully cure......

Does anyone know what the ceramic product is that most German car dealers use on their floors????
Old 01-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jw97C2S
Is staining concrete a DIY option?
It could be a DIY project since the application isn't too difficult. Generally, it's diluted colorants in pump sprayers; one colorant per sprayer. For a garage, it would be wise to have as many people spraying as there are colors. For a good application, the color needs to be even throughout and that may be difficult for a first timer. Another challenge is that the final result will look completely different than what it looks like right after you spray it down, after the colors bleed together and it's absorbed into the concrete. The most difficult part would be getting a good product. If there isn't much prep to your existing concrete, and you move all the crap out of your garage, it should be inexpensive to have a contractor do this for you.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ssarchi
The problem with many coatings is that many concrete slabs do not have an adequate moisture barrier beneath them (10 mil poly). The coatings fail after enough moisture makes its way through the slab.
True. Cutting control joints and/or using a system with an increased permability rating will help aleviate the hydrostatic pressure that causes delamination. Our warranties cover failure due to hydrostatic pressure, make sure you read any potential contractor's warranty carefully.

Quick Reply: Garage Floor Treatment - What Do You Suggest?