993 Forum 1995-1998

Words of caution regarding Targa for sale in Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 01:15 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Really now! A PPI is about $300 give or take, how much "taking apart" do you thik a Porsche mechanic is going to do for $300??

The PPI I had done a few mos. ago included a general look over the car, check all the lights, check for leaks oil/tranny/brakes, make sure the seats/windows work and a leakdown test. They're not going to disassemble the car.
The Compression and Leakdown is $300 alone. This is above and beyond the cost of the PPI. Need access to spark plugs in order to perform the tests.
If you got the leakdown done for that with a PPI.... well, good deal for you I guess.

Last edited by 92964cab; 11-04-2006 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:42 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 154 Posts

What happens if the shop the buyer picks cross threads or breaks a plug. The mechanic can say not his fault potenial buyer walks. Depending on the shop they might take responsiblity and they might not.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:14 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jimwood
Here's my question. If you have PPI done by a reputable shop, doesn't the owner get a copy? Or can't the owner bargain for that? My car had a PPI by a tire kicker, owner passed along that info, I called the shop and talked to the mechanic. Needless to say, done deal. Never saw the paperwork.

Yup it's pretty common to re-use PPI results too. I sold my former 993 that way.

IMHO worrying about a shop messing up your car during a PPI seems a bit paranoid. It's not open heart surgery. I've never heard of a shop doing damage during a PPI, but I suppose it's theoretically possible to cross thread a spark plug then. But of course any reasonable person should walk if a seller won't allow a PPI on such baseless grounds.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:35 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 92964cab
The Compression and Leakdown is $300 alone. This is above and beyond the cost of the PPI. Need access to spark plugs in order to perform the tests.
If you got the leakdown done for that with a PPI.... well, good deal for you I guess.
My PPI included leakdown only, I've heard from more than one mechanic I respected that a comp. test is unnecessary if everything else checks out OK. If other indicators have concerns then comp. test may be necessary but not if all else checks ok.

On my 67k mi. car PPI the worst cyl was 8%, the rest 6 & 4% . No issues. Done at Stuttgart Southwest in Phoenix. I got several recs. for them before I had them do it.

The PPI belongs to whomever paid for it but sharing it w/ the seller should be the norm., I would think. JMO.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:06 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
My PPI included leakdown only, I've heard from more than one mechanic I respected that a comp. test is unnecessary if everything else checks out OK. If other indicators have concerns then comp. test may be necessary but not if all else checks ok.

On my 67k mi. car PPI the worst cyl was 8%, the rest 6 & 4% . No issues. Done at Stuttgart Southwest in Phoenix. I got several recs. for them before I had them do it.

The PPI belongs to whomever paid for it but sharing it w/ the seller should be the norm., I would think. JMO.
Yep, the leakdown is the important test. Understood, but it takes the same effort to get the leakdown done, right? The price I was quoted was 300... in addition to the PPI (PPI=other basic checks). Less time is billed since the comp test isn't being done but same access is needed. I passed on the general PPI and checked the rest myself.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:24 PM
Reynard38
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who involves a lawyer in the sale of a $40,000 car? Keep looking.

Quick Reply: Words of caution regarding Targa for sale in Atlanta