Sponsored by:

Words of caution regarding Targa for sale in Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 10:18 PM
heath ATL
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Words of caution regarding Targa for sale in Atlanta

Just in case any Rennlisters are considering this car, I wanted to share my experience with the seller so you know what to expect. I went to look at the car on Saturday and it looked to be in good shape. The owner told me someone else had considered buying the car and had a ppi done at one of the local porsche dealers. The one page ppi check sheet dated Sept. 29 he gave me indicated that the the timing chain cover was seeping oil and that the brake fluid was "dirty". The seller was firm at $40k, which I thought was a bit overpriced for a private sale, but I figured that I could justify paying a premium for the car since it was exactly what I am looking for, it's local and I wouldn't have to pay transportation costs and could close the sale in person.

We agreed on $40k contingent on a ppi at a shop of my choosing that I would of course pay for. I found a highly recommended shop about 4 miles from his house that could look at the car this week and emailed him on Monday to find out when he could bring the car in. We then exchanged several emails in which he was trying to get me to commit to pay the $40k regardless of what was found in the ppi and I explained to him that I would pay him the $40k if there were no major problems and, if there were major problems, I would offer to pay less. He ultimately agreed to bring the car in to the mechanic for a ppi on Friday afternoon. This morning he emailed me and said that something came up and he wouldn't be able to bring the car in tomorrow afternoon for the inspection. I told him that wasn't a problem and that we could reschedule it for another time that was convenient for him. He then asked when I would want to close. I told him probably a day or two after the inspection so that I had some time consider any issues that arose in the inspection. He then tells me that at close he would want the money wired to his attorney and mentioned something about a $10k deposit. Not sure why he needed to get his attorney involved. I told him that unless he wanted his attorney to draft an escrow agreement, I would only wire funds if he simultaneously delivered title. He then responds that although he's not concerned about whether the funds are good or not, his "gut feeling says this is not going to work" and that the deal is off and he is going to hold out for more money.

I'm probably lucky that this guy flaked out before I spent the $300 for the ppi. Not sure what this guy's problem is -- whether there are big issues with the car or if he just isn't serious about selling the car or if there's something else -- but thought I would let you guys know about my experience in case someone was thinking about buying the car so you know what to expect.

The search continues! Anyone have any leads on a tiptronic targa?
Old 11-02-2006, 11:04 PM
X2Board
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

Heath: Just put that one behind you and keep looking. It's great that you posted your experiences with the seller. If I come across a Tip Targa, I'll send you a link.

X2

Last edited by X2Board; 11-03-2006 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:45 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are a wise man to walk away. Sounds to me like the seller was trying to pull a fast one by producing a previously completed PPI that states all is well, then balking on your appt.

Keep your hopes up, you'll find a better one!!
Old 11-03-2006, 01:20 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Most Targas on the market now are tips... you'll find your car..soon...
Old 11-03-2006, 01:54 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Great response - thinking on your feet!
Old 11-03-2006, 09:13 AM
EndlessEarth
Instructor

I just had a 993 shipped from San Diego to NH (about as far as one can go without leaving the US) for $1,800 by Intercity. That is not a lot of money to pay to get the absolute right car to your door.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Smells like a bad deal it usually is. Good reaction on your part to let it go. There is always another car to have.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:24 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Hey not heard much recently.....how is the RED BARON coming along?
Old 11-03-2006, 09:37 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Dave:

Sold it to a dealer that had a customer looking for a c4. Check your PM on another topic
Old 11-03-2006, 09:49 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Ahhhhh ...... Ok ignore my question in the PM
Old 11-03-2006, 11:16 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 159 Posts

I once screwed around with a buyer for a week after the PPI found nothing. I don't see anything wrong with requiring a deposit, maybe a grand, on a car before you go to all the trouble of having the PPI done. Sounds like the seller had already dealt with someone who flaked out after the PPI. I have had many cars where the buyer flaked out after saying they were coming over to get it. If you are not concrete about how and when you will close, then the seller might not think you are real even if you are. Offering a deposit on the car (not 10 grand on a 40K car) would assure him that you are serious.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:46 AM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

you where not being un-reasonable.

Had you the chance of PPIing it, and were
satisfied with the result, you wouldve bought it,
so F the deposit.

It sounds like this guy was trying to unload a
car with issues and lock you in via a deposit.

Keep looking; you will find your car.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:04 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
I once screwed around with a buyer for a week after the PPI found nothing. I don't see anything wrong with requiring a deposit, maybe a grand, on a car before you go to all the trouble of having the PPI done. Sounds like the seller had already dealt with someone who flaked out after the PPI. I have had many cars where the buyer flaked out after saying they were coming over to get it. If you are not concrete about how and when you will close, then the seller might not think you are real even if you are. Offering a deposit on the car (not 10 grand on a 40K car) would assure him that you are serious.
Sorry, if I'm paying for the PPI there's no chance I'd put any deposit down first. If the seller can't accept that I won't bother getting the PPI, I'd be looking for another car.

However, I do establish my ground rules when I first contact a seller, just to make sure I won't be wasting my time or his.

Just from Heath's version of events I think he did the smart thing by walking away.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:30 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Sorry, if I'm paying for the PPI there's no chance I'd put any deposit down first. If the seller can't accept that I won't bother getting the PPI, I'd be looking for another car.

However, I do establish my ground rules when I first contact a seller, just to make sure I won't be wasting my time or his.

Just from Heath's version of events I think he did the smart thing by walking away.
exactly
Old 11-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seller uptight in regard to PPI...trying to rush a deal closing...bringing his attorney to the game...sounds like the transaction from hell...forget about it...

Quick Reply: Words of caution regarding Targa for sale in Atlanta