Incredible piece of driving, Lovely Pix, Amalfi Coast

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 12:51 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Incredible piece of driving, Lovely Pix, Amalfi Coast

Hi Folks,

I just came back from a Eastern Mediterranean Cruise. One of the shore excursions took us from Naples east along the coastline to Amalfi. That is one of the most incredible drives I have ever been on. The scenery is to die for, but the drive impresed me much more.

The whole roadway is but about 12'-14' wide. Shear cliff down to the sea on one side, solid rock cliff to the heavens on the other side. Tight and windy and lot's of grades. When two cars pass each other, most of the time, one car has to back up to the very edge before the opposing car can squeeze by. I was in a tour bus, and I must say that the bus driver is the best driver I have ever ridden with. I thought I am an adequate driver, but honestly I would not be able to drive a manual car along this road. Just the thought of backing up a steep hill, inches from the shear cliff, to allow the opposing car/bus to pass just freaks me out. An automatic transmission, may be, definitely not a manual.

I have one shot of the profile of the road way. They had to cantilever the road out 4' or so from the cliff face to get to the current road width. I am a civil/structural engineer by training, and I could not figure out how they could cantilever the road out as such. Simply an amazing engineering feat.

For those of you who have the pleasure of driving this part of the world, you would know what I mean.

People say that the drive is similar to the Pacific Coast Highway down to Big Sur. I say the Amalfi Coast drive is MUCH prettier. I have driven to Big Sur numerous times, and there is no contest IMHO.

I have a few pics of the area, mostly from inside the bus. Enjoy.

CP
Attached Images      
Old 10-20-2006, 12:53 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Gorgeous! Some friends returned from there where they rented scooters for the day.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:01 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great pix, Pong.... Thanks for sharing and Welcome Home!
Old 10-20-2006, 10:21 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

That's a beautiful place, I've been there before, need to dig up those pictures. I don't doubt the skill of the bus driver, but you wouldn't catch me in a bus on that road
Old 10-20-2006, 11:26 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

We are thinking of vacationing there one day. Did you stay in a hotel? We are thinking of doing the villa thing with friends. Any suggestions?
Old 10-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow!!! Thanks for sharing...
Old 10-20-2006, 12:10 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by Father of 3
We are thinking of vacationing there one day. Did you stay in a hotel? We are thinking of doing the villa thing with friends. Any suggestions?
We went with a cruise. Venice, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Mykonos, Kotokolons, Rhodes, Kusadasi, Santorini, Naples and Rome.

In the 70s I watched a National Geographics documentary tracing the footsteps of Sinbad the Sailor as he sailed the various Greek Isles in the Agean Sea in search of the golden fleece. The images of the sceneries and the crystal clear waters stayed with me all these years, and I had always wanted to do a similar trip. I am glad after some 35 years, we finally got to go. Incredible trip and sights. I highly recommend it.

When I get home tonight, I will post more pictures.

CP
Old 10-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice pics Pong! thanks for sharing.
I think the next European Porsche Parade in 2008 will take place in Italy. We can expect great roads, great food, excellent atmosphere and gorgeous w.. ...My wife loves Italy too!
Old 10-20-2006, 01:06 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 312 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
We went with a cruise. Venice, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Mykonos, Kotokolons, Rhodes, Kusadasi, Santorini, Naples and Rome.

In the 70s I watched a National Geographics documentary tracing the footsteps of Sinbad the Sailor as he sailed the various Greek Isles in the Agean Sea in search of the golden fleece. The images of the sceneries and the crystal clear waters stayed with me all these years, and I had always wanted to do a similar trip. I am glad after some 35 years, we finally got to go. Incredible trip and sights. I highly recommend it.

When I get home tonight, I will post more pictures.

CP

Dubrovnik??? That's near my Mom's old Stomping grounds!!! My parents did a cruise this summer also and Loved it. They started in Barcelona went to the French Rivera, did the Italy thing, sailed across to Greece and then on to Dubovnik and ended up in Venice. They got off the boat in Venice and then drove back to Croatia where they spent three months.

YOU GUYS ARE LUCKY!!!!
JoAnne
Old 10-20-2006, 01:14 PM
CP
Race Director

Hi JoAnne,

Dubrovnik is beautiful. I will post pics of that later. I have a good friend who has a house on the beach on an island in Split, Croatia. He offered me to stay there should we visit. I may take him up on that.

CP
Old 10-20-2006, 01:29 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thank you for those pics pong... brought my stress level down from about a 8 to a 5... i need to escape (to something more than rennlist)... soon.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:28 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Nice pics Pong!

My wife and I spent our honeymoon in Positano last year (actually our honeymoon ended one year ago today!). That place was awesome! I can't wait to go back. The roads there are really amazing. A little scary, but very cool. I thought I'd add to the photos with stuff I took while we were there.

Here's another pic of the roads there, this time from the underside:

The roads aren't the only thing that's scary, the transportation there is not exactly in tip top shape (that's the broken off mirror in my hand):

As if the roads and vehicles aren't treacherous enough, when you get gas, this is the guy who fills up the tank!

It makes it all worth while though when you look out and see this (this was south of Naples, on the way down to Positano where we stayed):

Here's Positano. Our hotel is the pink one at about 3 o'clock. It was called the Albergo Miramare and it was pretty awesome:

Looking up at our hotel room (top story of pink building. All the way to the left with the maid cleaning up). If you look to the right of where the maid is cleaning there is a big plate glass window. That is the shower. Took a little getting used to.

Here's what it looked like from our room at sunrise.

And here's sunset (or a little after):

Amalfi at dusk:

A grotto on the way to Capri (a little too cold to go in the water, though):

Finally, here's a panorama from our hotel room. I can't wait to go back!
Old 10-20-2006, 02:29 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm. Looks a lot like Palos Verdes...
Old 10-20-2006, 02:31 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 24FPS
thank you for those pics pong... brought my stress level down from about a 8 to a 5... i need to escape (to something more than rennlist)... soon.
If you want to escape, I'd highly recommend Santorini. The island was a volcano where the whole center blew out. All that is left is a crescent with the inside of the crescent a steep drop all the way down into the big, deep ocean. The "cities" are on the top of the crescent and look a bit like frosting on the top of a croissant from a distance. That place is awesome. Very laid back. Breathtaking views. We got lucky and found a nice villa/hotel that was build on the inside part of the inside of the crescent. The view was spectacular.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:18 PM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, super pics Pong and Mike! I've been to Italy twice, but haven't been down south. I will definitely catch it next time. Thanks for sharing.

-nels

Quick Reply: Incredible piece of driving, Lovely Pix, Amalfi Coast