993 Forum 1995-1998

Poser ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 07:06 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I know some extremely wealthy individuals who fit this description to a tee. Does that make them bizarro poseurs?
It goes both ways. I forgot to add that.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:09 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Or use the riceboy definition: what's the "Type-R" badge of the Porsche world? A turbo tail on a non-turbo? S badging on a narrow body? 18" wheels with Nitto tires?
So is everyone who participated in the Turbo S wing Group buy a poser if they installed in on a non-turbo car?

My C2 NA 993 came with a factory ordered turbo front bumper, does that make me a poser and if not, what about when I install the turbo wing and badge it with a 993 badge? Is that ok as long as I don't badge it with a turbo badge?
Old 09-18-2006, 07:42 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Blue Ocean
So is everyone who participated in the Turbo S wing Group buy a poser if they installed in on a non-turbo car?

My C2 NA 993 came with a factory ordered turbo front bumper, does that make me a poser and if not, what about when I install the turbo wing and badge it with a 993 badge? Is that ok as long as I don't badge it with a turbo badge?
If you have to ask . . . just joking . . . just joking
Old 09-18-2006, 08:04 PM
kalumbian
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Ocean

If we continue to follow this...then Porsche themselves are poseurs....the C4S has always been described as having "turbo look" body work

Old 09-18-2006, 09:01 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RallyJon
18" wheels with Nitto tires?

hey now..

Nitto actually has this very promising R-Compound called NT01 --- and I've heard it gives the Toyo RA-1 a run for the money..

..and I must say I do NOT consider the NT01 a 'poser' tire or a poster-type track DE tire... at least not based on who's car's I've seen them on at NASA and SVT events..... and other venues (other clubs) at DEs
Old 09-18-2006, 09:03 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

btw: I've actually sometimes overheard people I don't know or have never seen before at a DE event calling me a 'poser' at DEs (because I have a Tip.. and there will usually be a 'jab' about, figures it's a girl too..)... but I tend NOT to hear more about my showing up with a Tip after I pass them at the track
Old 09-18-2006, 09:30 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Did Clarice drive a Ruf C4S? I can't remember.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:31 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, when it comes to driving a 993 properly, I'm a poseur. But at least I know it, and over time, I will correct the deficiency.

At least I got the marque and the model right....
Old 09-18-2006, 09:34 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by forklift
Did Clarice drive a Ruf C4S? I can't remember.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:24 PM
hddude
Racer

Originally Posted by slider172
I have seen people on this forum refer to others as being a "poser" in a derogatory manner. What exactly constitutes being a poser?
Lately it seems to mean anyone who puts RUF badges on a non-RUF car. Personally I think it applies to me for my white wheels and wood interior parts.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a point of information....many dictionaries show "Poser" and "Poseur" to acceptable deffinitions of what ever it is that is being discussed.

Possibly, a real Poser can be found out when you find them using "Poseur"???
Old 09-18-2006, 10:48 PM
unklekraker
Racer

Originally Posted by slider172
I have seen people on this forum refer to others as being a "poser" in a derogatory manner. What exactly constitutes being a poser?
d*#@ you, slider! look what you have started, now everyones is questioning their car...ahahahahaha! j/k!

am i a poser or a poseur? hmmmm! hey i drive a porsche not a civic..so it doesn't make a poser, right?
Old 09-18-2006, 10:49 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I know's a poser when I see's one:

I work a block or two from Wall Street, and the parking lot down the block has a 996, nice enough, always parked there. On the back, above the "carrera" emlem, the owner stuck a "speedster" emblem. And it's cracked because he put it where there's a curve on the body work.
I figure he saw it in a catalog, says to himself "I drive fast, I must be a SPEEDSTER" and sticks it on his car.
So now he has a Speedster Carrera.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:57 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

.. same old shi.... different thread ....
Old 09-18-2006, 10:57 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You know what you look like to me, with your good bag and your cheap shoes? You look like a rube. A well scrubbed, hustling rube with a little taste.
You know what you look like to me, with your Toll Brothers house, bleach blonde wife and German sports car? You look like a rube. A well paid, suburban middle manager of a rube.
but you're not more than one generation from poor white trash
but you're not more than one mid life crisis away from a minivan. And that early corner entry you're trying so desperately to delay.
What's your father, dear? Is he a coal miner? Does he stink of the lamb?
What's your father, pal? Bet he was in sales. Does he talk a lot about how well liked he is? Drive a lower end Mercedes? Does he stink of the diesel?
You know how quickly the boys found you... all those tedious sticky fumblings in the back seats of cars...while you could only dream of getting out... getting anywhere... getting all the way to the FBI.
You know how quickly the riceboys found you... all those hopeless afternoons installing air filters and fart cans... while you could only dream of driving fast... driving anything nice... finally getting your Porsche in suburbia.

Heh. This is fun.

Quick Reply: Poser ?