Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

WIN A PORSCHE ALU SHIFTER/HAND ENGRAVED FOR YOUR TIP STORY

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 06:42 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts
Default WIN A PORSCHE ALU SHIFTER/HAND ENGRAVED FOR YOUR TIP STORY

Win this OEM PORSCHE ALU shifter with hand-engraved Porsche emblem.

I am sending this alu 993 tiptronic shifter free for the most original tiptronic experience-enthousiast-story.

This could englobe areas like why did you choose a Tiptronic, how do you drive your tip, now that you had one,
will you encourage others on a tip? or last but not least, how do you get the most from your tiptronic? etc.

I am sure everyone has his short-story.

don't forget to mention which 993 u have.

I will write my story at the end.
Attached Images  

Last edited by geolab; 09-13-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:03 AM
kennyboy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Superb! love it, wish I had a tip so I could get involved.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:55 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

Plant your corn early.

That's my bet tip.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:09 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts
Default mine..

Win this OEM PORSCHE ALU shifter with hand-engraved Porsche emblem.

I am sending this alu 993 tiptronic shifter free for the most original tiptronic experience-enthousiast-story.

This could englobe areas like why did you choose a Tiptronic,

*** Well my last pcar was a manual (944T sold in '95), previous sports car was Supra manual and had several other manuals and learned to drive on a manual (requirement in the Caribbean)..so I have no problems handling a manual. Fast foward to 2006, I'm now 10 years old, less hair and over weight, traffic in these parts have become a biatch - rush hour starts much earlier and ends much later and this was the biggest contributing factor. Due to having young kid, I don't have time for a 'weekend car' and most of the time spent driving pcar will be in commuting. Think Washington, DC is second in the country for congestion behind NY.

how do you drive your tip

*** Manual mode, floor shift 99% of the time.

, now that you had one,
will you encourage others on a tip?

*** Encourage?...well..hmm...it depends on how youre using a car (If it is a weekend non commuting car..hell no)..there are times I really really miss the manual - shifting from 4 to 2..releasing that clutch and feeling totally involved..when driving spiritedly it feels like I'm on using the right side of my body (kinda weird to explain) ...but then get to an elevated on-ramp at 5.30 pm in bumper to bumper traffic...that missing manual goes out the sunroof in the blink of an eye.

or last but not least, how do you get the most from your tiptronic? etc.

*** Drive it with conviction, leave the windows down and listen to the beautiful sound coming from ther rear...it would be perfect with one more gear.

*** 97 993S

I will write my story at the end]
Old 08-31-2006, 04:15 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Excellent ...

I was always curious to know what you meant by Tip w/6 speed boot?

any pictures?
Old 08-31-2006, 04:22 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
Excellent ...

I was always curious to know what you meant by Tip w/6 speed boot?

any pictures?
copied the wording from fbfisher

pics --> https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=shift+boot
Old 09-01-2006, 04:21 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Oh I see, curious
Old 09-13-2006, 03:07 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

This thread will close on Sunday 17th, and shifter will ship monday . . .
Old 09-13-2006, 04:36 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my wife's Porsche first - then I was able to get the one I wanted. Such a gentleman
Old 09-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
This could englobe areas like why did you choose a Tiptronic, how do you drive your tip, now that you had one,
will you encourage others on a tip? or last but not least, how do you get the most from your tiptronic? etc.

I will write my story at the end.
I needed to keep one hand hand free to talk on the cell phone, work the stereo, and swig my Red Bull while making reckless lane changes on I-285 in Atlanta.

I get the most out of the tiptronic by letting it do the thinking - my own attempts at using the shifter have proven I'm not qualified to make gear selection choices myself...

1998 C2S black/red
Old 09-13-2006, 09:44 PM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was motivated to go Tip by my wife who was not happy that her car was the only one she could drive. She gave up on trying to shift when I expressed "criticism" with her shift from second to fifth years ago in my old Guilia.

But as it turns out, it was the best move I ever made. I've always gone with a manual, for instance opting for BMW because they offered manual trannys when the other "sports" sedans were only automatics. The Porsche Tiptronic is the best of both worlds.

I have always shifted, up and down, and have found that it's as much an art learning to match revs on the downshifts with the Tip, as learning to double clutch the slow syncro'd Healey and Alfa. But, thankfully, I don't have to pump that heavy clutch, which would be frequent in our ridiculous Atlanta traffic.

So, once again, the spousal unit was right after all. This Tiptronic makes sense and it's fun too!
Old 09-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Topless in Temecula
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spousal units - who knew they could be right so often! "Don't get a stick - you have knee problems" or "What will you do when you get older and have trouble shifting" (or remembering why your shifting) but none of us are that old are we? So, two Porsches later (both tips) and two knee sugeries, one rebuilt ankle, two rotator cuff surgeries - I am driving my '95 not watching it sit in the garage until I recover from surgery AGAIN
Buying a Porsche 993 - thousands and thousands
Fixing the car Porsche built - more thousands and thousands
Telling your wife she was right, a tip was the best choice - PRICELESS
(Besides I don't have to hear "I told you so" and am still happily married)

Peter
Old 09-13-2006, 10:37 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Is the winner determined by volume?

In late 2004 I was finally ready to buy my first Porsche and a C2S in arena red is what was needed. I’m a car guy, not a rich guy, so price was critical. After a few months following all the usual websites and their asking prices and being a diligent e-bay watcher I was pretty sure I was an expert on the 993 S market. I had looked at a few and driven three but none had been the right car for the money I had.

In February of 2005 I was headed out on a business trip to Richmond, VA. There was a flight connection in Chicago so before I left Utah I checked the internet and found a 97 C2S in Arena Red at a dealership there. It was a tip so I was not too interested but I ran the Carfax. The Carfax listed five previous owners so I dismissed it.

It snowed in Richmond the night before my departure and delayed my morning flight out. When I got to Chicago my flight to Salt Lake was long gone and all flights west were cancelled due to an approaching blizzard. The only flight I could get out of Chicago was to Dallas so I booked to Dallas and on to SLC the next day. But I had five hours to kill in Chicago before the flight to Dallas would board. So I thought I would go take a test-drive in the 993 just because I had never seen an arena red S and I had never driven a tip. I called the dealership and made an appointment to check it out and rented a car to drive to the suburbs.

When I got there the car was sitting out front looking a bit worse than I had imagined. First off it was dirty! Okay, it had just snowed and was about to snow more but I had called and made an appointment. The car had a lot of fine scratches in the paint like it had been sitting in storage and someone was using it to stack boxes on? The rear tires were worn out. The rear wheels were curbed. The lip on the bottom of the front bumper was cracked. And it was a tip. It was the oldest and saddest car on the lot sitting among the Lambos, Ferraris, Bimmer 7s, … .

The salesman asked me if I wanted to drive it. There was no way I was going to buy that 993 but I had rented a car and driven all the way out there and had never driven a tip before so I did drive it. I was VERY unimpressed. It kept shifting up to 4th and I couldn’t get it to kick back down. I stopped at a light and it started out in 2nd? I only drove it about 10 blocks and never got over 60 mph. I kept fiddling with the air controls but the car never got warm. When we pulled back into the dealership I told the salesman it was not the car for me. He said okay and asked if I wanted to come in a have a coffee at their bar and warm up. It was cold so I accepted.

While I was sitting on their leather couch enjoying their fine cup of coffee the sales manager came up and said, “What would it take to put you in that car today?” I almost laughed out loud. So, playing along, I dropped a number that was so ridiculously low that we could both laugh. He said something like, oh .. ohh … ohhhh … you really now how to hurt a guy … okay, it’s a deal. And he looked like he was serious! So I said, “You have to throw in new rear tires, fix the wheels, and give me $28k for my bimmer in trade.” He said he would have to see the BMW so I showed him the web page I had set up to sell it. He said he would ship the Porsche if I would ship the BMW. I said okay. We signed the papers and I headed back to the airport.

On the way back to the airport I started thinking OH ****, WHAT HAVE I DONE! No PPI! Dubious history! The price was crazy low! Why were they willing to sell it for that and why didn’t I start lower? But the body was straight, everything seemed to be in the car, the interior was okay, and the price was so low! But I hadn’t even looked underneath the car. Crazy!! I didn’t sleep much for the next couple weeks. The day before it was to ship I called the salesman and asked him if I could get out of it. He said that he would check where the title was so I knew it was a done deal.

Finally the car arrived at 5AM on a Friday morning. In the garage it did look pretty fine in the spot where there had been so many VWs before. I got out the buffer to see if a couple of the finer scratches could be worked out. Twelve hours later I stood back and the car was looking damn fine!

I have had the car for 19 months, put 20,000 miles on it, participated in a couple track days (2 more coming in a couple weeks), ran some autocrosses, and I love it. The only mod is the RoW M030 suspension and now it handles the way a pcar should. I wish it had a 6 speed but I love the price I paid for the car. If it just had one more gear I don’t think I would have any complaint.

I drive it in manual mode or D3 when I’m in town or on a good road. On the track or autocrossing it’s in manual. On the freeway it’s D and cruise control.

Last edited by hoggel; 01-19-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:54 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,783 Likes on 1,706 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Fast foward to 2006, I'm now 10 years old, less hair and over weight
Wow, you've aged quickly!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 06:40 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hoggel