Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

IMHO, hoggel is leading.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:46 PM
rkass
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoggel, that is an outstanding story! I don't know, but anyone who rolled the dice and won, definitely deserves a brandy new shifter - well done.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:47 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Short and sweet….

I live 35 miles outside of Los Angeles and work in LA. I was informed that I would be promoted which would require me to give up my “company” car. After having a company car for 17 years of my 29 years with them, this was going to hurt. So, I started shopping for a daily driver. I came across a slightly damaged 1997 993 Cab Tiptronic at my buddies salvage yard. It was perfect. As I told my wife when I called her, “I found a small foreign transportation car with an automatic transportation.” To say she was surprised when I brought home a 993 with a crumpled front end would be an understatement.

After 16 months I got another promotion and another company car. However, the 993 is now part of me. I can never see getting rid of it.

Besides…I have added a few mods to my transportation car…

1. Hard Back Sports Seats
2. Three spoke steering wheel
3. Boot on Tiptronic Shifter
4. Bilstein HD shocks.
5. ROW M030 Springs and Sway Bars.
6. Front Protection Bar.
7. Motor Sound Airbox.
8. Supercup Exhaust.
9. Manual Oil Cooler Fan Switch
10. Color changed the interior from blue to black
11. Bird armrest.
12. HID Headlights
13. DSP Amp and Control Unit
14. Becker CDR-220 Radio w/ iPod connection
15. Turbo Front Bumper (Euro)
16. Clear Front Lights
17. Red Calipers
18. Front Protective Cover
19. Rennline Dead Pedal
20. Silver Hood Crest
Proposed....
21. OEM PORSCHE ALU shifter with hand-engraved Porsche emblem
Old 09-15-2006, 01:00 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Late to the party but I'll play:

Two of my favorite tip experiences: 1) I drive it as intended, Manual mode only. I love the opportunity to debunk the myth that Tips are somehow inferior to 6 speeds. I do this in the canyons of Malibu and the Santa Monica mountains with my other Porsche buddies. As a result of my being able to keep up, or lead with the best of them, I have earned the respect of 993TT, GT2 and GT3 drivers when they learn that my car is a Tip and that I can hang with them, or lead them, through the run.

But my favorite:
2) Remapping the transmission: A local Rennlister asked me to drive his car through the canyons and tell him what I thought. He wasn't getting the performance he expected. He also wanted me to show him my shifting techniques, matching revs on downshifts in particular. It didn't take long to discover that due to the way he had been driving the car, his transmission was using a more conservative map - up shifting too soon and not allowing downshifts into higher revs. Latigo Cyn is a famous road around here, known for tight hairpins, some nice "S" turns, a really cool road with a steep grade in parts. The car was a dog, but I kept pushing it - "please give me first for this hairpin" - no can do - the car was not convinced that I was serious. So I kept pushing - it was a battle of wills. The car would upshift at 5,500 and I'd force it back down a gear. I'd try for 1st at 30 mph and it would not allow it. This went on all the way up Latigo. A battle of wills. Then half way back down, under heavy breaking and looking to match revs from 2nd to 1st entering a tight hairpin - nirvanna! The revs go up, the gear goes down and I'm now powering out of the turn. The car relented, convinced that I was serious about driving it properly, it bowed to my will and opened itself to me - allowing us to feel the full potential of what it had to offer. The rest of the way down was a series of twists and turns, enjoying the full effect of the powerband. A car that shifted on it's own at 5,500 was now waiting for me to make the shift at 6,800. Just to be sure, I'd let it hover around 6,700 for a bit just to be certain that it would not take the decision out of my hands, it obeyed and I rewarded it with a blip of the throtle and a smooth upshift, only to enter another turn requiring a nice down shift, keeping the revs in the power band. By the time we got back down to the bottom, it was a different car.

Now here is the best part - The owner takes the wheel and we roll up PCH. At the next stop light he pulls up next to me with an ear to ear grin - "I can't believe it" he says, "it's a totally different car" A thumbs up from me, the light turns green and off we go. The last sound I hear is that of him shifting out of 1st at 6,800 rpms. A beautiful thing.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:07 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by hoggel
... I wish it had a 6 speed but I love the price I paid for the car. If it just had one more gear I don’t think I would have any complaint.
...I have no complaints but I agree that one more gear (between 1st and 2nd) would be a good thing.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:16 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

wow.. so I guess I don't get to play

my car is a tippy
Old 09-15-2006, 01:17 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

no fair.. why was I left out of this game
Old 09-15-2006, 01:26 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by ceboyd
no fair.. why was I left out of this game
go ahead and play..geolab will update poll...
Old 09-15-2006, 01:27 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

well I'll give you my story anyway...

many know it already...

I had a dream to buy an aircooled porsche since I was 4 years old. At the age of 13 I decided I WAS going to own a 911 one day and started saving money from raking leaves, shoveling snow, birthday and x-mas.. etc. Many people teased me and told me I was crazy.... 15 years later I had to go to 4 dealerships before one of them took me seriously (after all, what woman could be interested in a 993 anyway?)

...at the time I was newly married (mind you I had explained to my hubby about how my savings account was earmarked for my porsche ONLY and nothing else and he had to have a clear understanding of this before I agreed to marry him)..

...needless to say I was only allowed to buy my 993 provided it was a Tip so he could drive it as well...

..and ironicly he told me the porsche was the start of the end of our marriage (he was very upset that i didn't take the $75k cash to allow us to buy a house instead of the small townhome I purchased before getting engaged and still live in today)... but that is another story...

...so although I was initially 'forced' into a Tip (as the only way for me to own a 993 before non were available..... I love my car!

I've been through a ton with my car...

I thought I was going to be forced to sell my car to help make ends meet after not working for 16 months but alas, I am still the original owner..

..I firmly believe I'm the hardest on my tip given the DE track duty I put it through in advanced and instructor group... and my car is living proof how bullet proof porsche made the tip transmission...

What are the advantages to having a Tip on the track?

I never have to worry about a 'missed shift' and blowing up my trans and engine.
I never have to worry about being in the wrong gear or forgetting to shift (I can concentrate on my line and braking instead)
I never have to worry about driving in redline as the tip will up**** if reaching redline before damage can occur..

...oh, the look of people's face is often priceless when they realize they just got passed by a girl driving a tip on the track

...how's that... although I'm very sad that It seems I've been left out of this contest since many have probably voted already without seeing my story or even having me as an option to vote for! boo hoo!
Old 09-15-2006, 01:51 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
go ahead and play..geolab will update poll...
Nobody is to be left out of the game, the thread is here since August 31st.
Now it sounds like the real McCoy, and Chris is here, HOW CAN I UPDATE THE POLL? I can't see the link to that, any help would be appreciated.
When I try to edit, it says "geolab, you do not have permission to access this page."

Last edited by geolab; 09-15-2006 at 05:50 AM.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:24 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Try PMing a mod like Bob Rouleau.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:15 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Could anyone give me a Moderators' Pseudo to pm him.
I need to edit and increase the number of people on this poll
thanks
Old 09-15-2006, 02:24 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

A slightly revised version 2) Remapping the transmission

A local Rennlister asked me to drive his car, she’s 993 Tip cab; a black beauty. He wants me to drive her through the canyons and tell him what I thought. She wasn’t responding to him and wasn't getting the performance he expected. He also wanted me to show him my techniques for getting her to go from 1st to 4th and back again, matching revs on downshifts to insure that while dropping a gear he would not slow her down. It didn't take long to discover that this girl moved to slow because she was changing gears at the wrong time; she didn’t know when to change gears. From the first moments behind her wheel, I could tell she was a very conservative girl.

Latigo Cyn is a famous road around here, rising up from the blue Pacific, this road is known for tight hairpins, some nice "S" turns and some sections where you can hammer the gas - a really cool road with a steep grade in parts. She was very slow to warm to me. I’d let her know what I wanted but she kept refusing my desires. I was gentle, yet persistent – I’d express myself - "please give me first for this hairpin" – “no can do” was her reply. She did not trust that my intentions were good. – She was not yet convinced that I could handle what she was holding back. So I kept pushing - it was a battle of wills. She would tease me, torture me, up shifting at 5,500 and I'd force her to back down a gear. It became a game of cat and mouse. I'd try for 1st at 30 mph and she would not allow it. Our foreplay went on all the way up the canyon. Me begging her to perform, she refusing to reveal her true desire and capability. We reached the summit; I could tell she was beginning to let me in. Then half way back down the canyon, under heavy breaking and looking to match revs from 2nd to 1st entering a tight hairpin - nirvana! She let me in. I touched her throttle lightly, she gave a brief whimper and down I went from 2nd into 1st, exiting the turn, I'm now powering out of the turn deep in the power band. She finally relented and gave herself to me unconditionally. Trusting that my intentions were true and that I could handle what she had to give – she gave herself to me completely. The rest of the way down was a series of twists and turns, enjoying the full effect of using that beautiful tip to keep her in the power band. Rather than moving up too quickly at 5,500, she allowed herself to wait for the full effect, leaving me in control of her destiny, waiting, screaming, and wailing at 6,600 trusting that I’ll not make her wait too long. Just to be sure, I'd let her hover for a bit just to be certain that she would not take the decision out of my hands, she was patient and I rewarded her with one final a blip of the gas and a smooth up-shift. The wail turned to a moan as we entered another turn. Braking to get her in just the right position for a smooth entry and brief touch of her go pedal to rev her up a bit and she rewarded me with a nice down shift, keeping her revs in the power band. By the time we got back down to the bottom, she was different. She was no longer the timid, conservative woman I had first met. As we came to a stop, with the blue pacific facing us, we rested. I could smell the sent of her hot juices as I listened to her purr at idle. I knew it wouldn’t be long before we were both ready to have another go.

But I was just a guest in her seat. The owner takes my place behind her wheel and I head back to my main squeeze. We roll up PCH. At the next stop light he pulls up next to me with an ear to ear grin - "I can't believe it" he says, "she’s a totally different woman" A thumbs up from me, the light turns green and off we go. The last sound I hear is that of him shifting out of 1st at 6,800 rpms. A beautiful thing.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:30 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

geolab,

Just send a PM to "Bob Rouleau".
Old 09-15-2006, 02:48 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher
...But I was just a guest in her seat. The owner takes my place behind her wheel and I head back to my main squeeze. We roll up PCH. At the next stop light he pulls up next to me with an ear to ear grin - "I can't believe it" he says, "she’s a totally different woman" A thumbs up from me, the light turns green and off we go. The last sound I hear is that of him shifting out of 1st at 6,800 rpms. A beautiful thing.

(my fave story too... my friggin' 993!)

hey fred i must admit ... she has re-mapped to shift @ around 6500 rpms now (but when she sees the canyon, somehow she opens up to 69 )... but you, my friend turned my baby into a sinnful creature! & i love ya for it. what can i say... car has never run better. & ya gotta' love that n a engine whine as a 6speed waves you by politely.

fred gets my vote!

Quick Reply: WIN A PORSCHE ALU SHIFTER/HAND ENGRAVED FOR YOUR TIP STORY